cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Raid Controller issues on Maximus IV Extreme

Mr_Pink
Level 7
Hello all,

Been lurking these forums since I built this machine a year ago, very awesome resource. Anyway, everything with my machine has been running great until I upgraded to the 2105 bios 2 months ago. I now have this intermittent problem during boot up with my RAID 0 array failing. Now I know you all are going to call me crazy, but I have 4 x 60GB Vertex 2 SSDs in Raid 0, lol, don't worry, everything gets backed up everyday!

20-30% of the time during boot up or restarts, the raid array fails to initialize. I need to press ctrl+i, enter the Intel Raid Utility, refresh the main screen once or twice until PORT 1 is recognized with a disk, then I can exit and it boots up just fine. 70% of the time I don't have this issue. Every time it fails, its always 1 out of the 4 drives connected to PORT 1 . The Intel Raid Utility will only see drives on ports 0,3,4. Like i stated above, I then need enter the utility, refresh the main screen until PORT 1 shows up again, exit and boots up just fine. I run ATTO tests and benchmarks on the array in Windows and everything seems A OK. The Intel Rapid Storage App in Windows currently displays the array as active and healthy with all the details for the 4 SSDs.

This problem is so intermittent, 30% of the time, its difficult for me to trouble shoot using different cables and drives connected to different ports. I'm hoping you all could help me on where to start trouble shooting? Is this an issue that has come up before? Or is this the death throws of failing SSD hardware? This only started happening 2 months ago when I upgraded from the 1204 BIOS to the 2105 BIOS, leading me to think it maybe related. At the time of the upgrade, I also updated all the drivers found on the ASUS support downloads page for this motherboard. My BIOS settings are pretty much default, except for disabling on board sound and the Marvel Raid controller. Anything to guide me in the right direction to solving this issue will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks much!
4 REPLIES 4

chevy350
Level 10
You might try the 3203 BIOS. I have 3 RAID0's on the Intel ports and don't have any of the issues you mention, but only had this board for 3 months or so now.
AMD 2700X, Asus ROG Strix X470-F, G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 (16gbx2), XFX RX 580, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair 750D, SeaSonic 860W, OCZ RD400, Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb, Intel 520 120Gb SSD

No one have any idea as to a solution?

I will try the latest BIOS and report back.

I would start by replacing the cable to the drive on port 1. Then if the problem still occurs you know the cable should be fine which leaves the port or drive. Then you can swap one of the other drives with the one on port 1 and see if the problem stays on port 1 or moves to the other port.
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yip it sure does sound like a cable issue. Or worse that one of your SSD (on port1) is about to fail.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.