cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with ASUS X299 WS SAGE + i9-9820X + Hyper M.2 v2

goretsky
Level 7
Hello,

I am currently upgrading my existing system build based on an ASUS WS X299 SAGE (firmware revision v3203) and an Intel i9-9820X (44 PCIe lanes) with an ASUS HYPER M.2 X16 CARD V2 with four 2TB Intel 660p SSDs. The VROC key (VROCISSDMOD) is already installed in the motherboard, but I have never made use of its feature set. I am a bit confused about how to set things up. In particular, in which slot the card needs to go, and how to shuffle the remaining cards to work inside the motherboard.

I looked at ASUS FAQ #1037507, [Motherboard] Compatibility of PCIE bifurcation between Hyper M.2 series Cards and Add-On Graphic Car..., and I think the card needs to be installed in PCIeX16_1, aka Slot 1, but the FAQ does not actually mention my model by name, although it does list other X299 boards, as well as the Pro WS C621-64L SAGE, Pro WS C621-64L SAGE/10G and WS C621E SAGE, which I am hoping is an oversight, since the motherboard's UEFI (BIOS) firmware has an Advanced | CPU Storage Configuration section when I enter it, and it is also mentioned in section 3.6.6 of the motherboard's manual).

Here is how I currently have the slots configured:

PCIe Slot | Card Description
----------+------------------------------------------------------------------
PCIeX16_1 | Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti GPU (actually riser card+cable for this slot)
PCIeX16_2 | empty
PCIeX16_3 | ASUS ThunderboltEX3 PCIe card
PCIeX16_4 | Silverstone SST-ECU01 USB 3.0 PCIe card¹
PCIeX16_5 | ASUS PCE-AC58BT WLAN PCIe card¹
PCIeX16_6 | ASUS Hyper M.2 Card (only 1 M.2 SSD recognized)
PCIeX16_7 | ASUS XG-C100C NIC PCIe card

My best guess is that after enabling VROC support on PCIeX16_1 - PCIeX16_3, that I then need to re-configure the slots as follows:

PCIe Slot | Card Description
----------+------------------------------------------------------------------
PCIeX16_1 | ASUS Hyper M.2 Card
PCIeX16_2 | empty
PCIeX16_3 | empty
PCIeX16_4 | Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti GPU (actually riser card+cable for this slot)
PCIeX16_5 | ASUS ThunderboltEX3 PCIe card
PCIeX16_6 | Silverstone SST-ECU01 USB 3.0 PCIe card
PCIeX16_7 | ASUS XG-C100C NIC PCIe card

Does this make sense, or is there another way I should be doing this? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

-----

¹The Silverstone USB card was used to provide USB support for my case's front panel USB portss plus support for the Bluetooth radio on the PCE-AC58BT WLAN card, but I am guessing it would be easier to just remove the WLAN card (which does not get used often) and install an ASUS USB-BT500 USB adapter on one of the open USB ports.
1 REPLY 1

goretsky
Level 7
Hello,

I have enabled PCIe bifurcation, with slots 1-3 being set aside for the HYPER M.2 card, moved the cards as mentioned, restarted the system and installed the Intel VROC driver package (v6.3.0.1031).

Only one NVMe SSD in the Hyper M.2 card is recognized.

Please advise with troubleshooting instructions.

Thank you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky