cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Boot on new build, everything powers on but no video?

pdm117
Level 7
Hi Everyone.
I recently built my first system using:
ASUS Crosshair V Formula Mobo
AMD FX-8120 Processor
Corsair H80
WD 1Tb caviar blue
ASUS HD7750
Antex High Current 520w PSU
G-Skill Ripjaws 4gb X 2 RAM
Ocz Agility 3 SSD 120b
ASUS DVD Drive

I put it all together, and upon first boot, everything seems to be going well, LED's turn on, fans spin up, H80 fans start up, everything works except I get no video . My 7750 is powered up, fan is running, but I get no video!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

HiVizMan
Level 40
Stupid question but hey let me ask it.

Is your VGA cable connected and is your screen powered up?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

flearider
Level 8
just remove the card and replace with new boards things can be a little tight.. if that don't work try the second slot ..
and make sure your power conecter to the card is in properly
AMD FX 8350 5.1ghz 221x23
CROSSHAIR V bios 1703
g-skill sniper 1600@1800
What does it matter now if men believe or no?
What is to come will come. And soon you too will stand aside,
To murmur in pity that my words were true
(Cassandra, in Agamemnon by Aeschylus)

to see the wizard one must look behind the curtain ...

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Doucble check the power cables at the VGA and the PSU, had this same issue not long ago and it turned out that somehow, i'd managed to knock one of the 2 PCIe power cables out of the PSU. oh and also, did you connect the 8 and 4 pin connectors to the board and also the 4 pin molex to the board?

Your PSU might also be a bit weak to give power to the 8120 and the H80 cooler as your CPU alone draws 125W by its self.

kkn
Level 14
he needs a bigger psu.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Holy Hana! I can see your not being able to power up! you have a
Antex High Current 520w PSU
when you should have a Minimum of 650watts just to boot! Plus if you want your system to last more than 6 months take it on up to a Minimum of 850watts but I'd suggest 950watts or more. Yes Yes I know I booted with a 200watt PSU but that was an 1100T with a Dinosaur Video Card that only pulled 38watts total and No Accessories like Fans and Such... Basically MoBo, CPU ,OLD Video Card and an HD...Yes the CPU had a fan on the Heatsink but that was the only fan...

DaemonCantor wrote:
Holy Hana! I can see your not being able to power up! you have a when you should have a Minimum of 650watts just to boot! Plus if you want your system to last more than 6 months take it on up to a Minimum of 850watts but I'd suggest 950watts or more. Yes Yes I know I booted with a 200watt PSU but that was an 1100T with a Dinosaur Video Card that only pulled 38watts total and No Accessories like Fans and Such... Basically MoBo, CPU ,OLD Video Card and an HD...Yes the CPU had a fan on the Heatsink but that was the only fan...

You are absolutely right my friend, upon later inspection i saw that the fan pushing air on my h80 was not powered up. But, my video card does not have any pci-e power connectors. I was originally supposed to go with a XFX Radeon 7750 Double D, but I ended up getting the ASUS HD7750 instead due to financial issues.does this affect my system at all? I will go out and buy a larger PSU though , thank you for your help.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
It won't damage your parts if that is what your asking but it won't allow you to fire it up ether till you get enough power.

I went out an d bought a corsair TX850M 850w PSU and still nothing, no beeps, no video, nothing. Any other suggetions??

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Look on the Serial Number Sticker next to the Power Connector and the last 4 Digits are the BIOS Revision...if it's less than 08xx then your going to need to update the BIOS. A lot of CHVF's came with an older BIOS that wasn't compatible with the FX CPU's. You can Flash it really easy if you happen to get ahold of one of the older CPUs like the 965 or even an Athlon II x2 will do ya. Other wise your going to be calling Asus Support and having them Mail you a BIOS Chip. They were giving them out to the CHVF Owners when the FX line first came out for free so I don't think they will charge you now ether.