cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Driver-issue, software-issue - Maximus Gene VII

Hansiman
Level 7
I am currently having a lot of problems installing drivers on this product, and am experiencing a very unstable system.

Every single time I boot, I get 4 messages stating that "atkex_cmd.exe has stopped working". I've googled the problem to learn that it'srelated to the onboard audio-card, but reinstalling the driver from the Asus website does not solve the issue.

In my Device Manager, I find 3 unknown devices that I am also unable to find drivers for. Again, from googling I've been informed that I need to install the probe sensor, and the utility program for this motherboard; however, regardless of what I do, the setup for these things will never start. It just idles in task manager, doing nothing. I've ran the software as an administrator as well, but nothing I've done so far helps.

The computer also crashes when running games like Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. After a while, the image just goes black, and I have to manually shutdown the computer. This happens after roughly 1 hour of gameplay, but the temperature for the devices do not go over the recommended region. This may be a GPU issue, but that is also an Asus product, GTX780ti DCii.

Today, I've also started to get BSOD's that don't generate a fault-code.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

Is there anyone who can help me with this issue?
7 REPLIES 7

Praz
Level 13
Hello

An accurate description of the system components would be helpful. The template linked below will provide all the info needed.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37841-Support-Template-fill-this-out-when-reporting-a-bug-o...

Hansiman
Level 7
Sorry, first time posting here. 😃

Motherboard model: Maximus VII Gene

UEFI Version: 1002

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K

Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB: Corsair Vengeance 8gb x2

GPU: Asus GTX780ti DCii

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: Intel SSD 120gb

PSU: COOLER MASTER SILENT PRO ATX12V 2.3 1000W

USB Devices (model/version number): Attached devices? A Logitech G110 and G700.

Monitor: Samsung P2450 & SA350

CPU Cooler: EK-Supreme LTX UNI CSQ 2013

PC CASE: Fractal Design Node 804 Black

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit. Activated.

Drivers Installed (include version):
Intel Ethernet: 12.11.96.1
Asmedia SATA: 2.0.8.1
GTX780ti: 9.18.13.3788
Realtek HD Audio: 6.0.1.7272

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: SpeedFan for temperature monitoring.

System Overclocked (provide details)? No.

Hansiman
Level 7
Anyone have any ideas?

erix_jansen
Level 7
atkex is part of
1) Asus AI Suite
2) Asus Boot Setting (to boot into bios)
3) AXSP
Strangely enough I have atkex in all abovementioned folders, but in AXSP there are 2 folders, version 1.01 and 1.02.
PLUS a folder and inside a "Ai SUITE 2 (!!!!) UPDATE.EXE" This on a board (VII Gene) that only comes with Suite 3!

One can only think, how can the system work after all this garbage!

Hansiman
Level 7
Yeah, but it still doens't solve the problem I have.

Is this something that there is no solution to?

heheman3000
Level 7
For two of the devices, I had to install the Intel Management Engine Interface and the AsMedia xHCI driver.

The final "Unknown Device" went from the "Unknown" category into the "System" category when I installed the Asus Probe Driver. However, it doesn't start and is still called "Unknown Device". I think the driver for this is just buggy. It looks like the Probe 2 Sense app is Windows 8.1 only, so that might be the issue (I am currently running Windows 7 on this computer.)

erix_jansen
Level 7
I can only add this. I am on Win 8.1 64-bit.
I downloaded all from Asus webiste (not using the CD)
All was fine after installing all drivers and AI Suite.
EXCEPT Intel USB3 drivers (unknow device), because it is not offered for W8.1 by Asus or Intel, but it was HIDDEN in a folder on the CD.... (version for Win7 I suppose.)

Asus Support email said to me: Windows will autoupdate Win8.1 64bit drivers for that: false.

So, I think you will be able to fix easily in Win7.