cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula Z and FC-9590

GarySmith
Level 7
Hello,

I have read several threads about this combo and issues therein and I have been having issues as well. I seem to be getting lost in the threads as to how it was resolved. I'd like to kick out my issue with the hope that someone can point me to the correct solutions.

MB: Crosshair V Formula Z, latest BIOS
CPU: FX-9590
Cooler: Cool Master Seidon 120XL
Memory: (2 sets) Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB Desktop Memory Module Kit - 2x 8GB, 1866MHz DDR3, CL10, DIMM - HX318C10FRK2/16
Video: 2 @ MSI AMD R9 270x
Drives: Seagate 480gb SSD
PS: 1000w (no sure of brand)

Testing: OpenHardwareBrowser + Prime95 for basic

I can do the install just fine, works for a while then it will freeze. CPU temp idle < 20d, under max load with prime95, 40.5d. I did the full windows memory test (gave me time to watch an entire movie) and all was well. When I do a benchmark under prime95, it completes the first rounds of test just fine. When it gets to the second round (the threads + memory portion) it locks up as soon at it does the 2 threads portion for memory. When this happens, I let it sit locked up for a few minutes as the CPU fan speed and everything remains the same.

CPU is cool to the touch. VRM's are warm, but not hot to the touch.

I'm really thinking power supply, but some people were recommending changing clock settings for memory, and other settings. I've also seen someone say disable turbo, but I was unable to find where. What was the final resolution that worked for people?

BTW, I rebuilt the computer several times, let it sit idle for multiple hours, do something minor, crash.
14 REPLIES 14

chrsplmr
Level 18
Hello Gary, Welcome to ROG.

Is it freezing or crashing ? This is two very different things neither of which are 'usually' the Power Supply.

Crashing is usually found in the memory .. (blue screen) do you have your memory set up in bios ?
or have you tried other memory ?

Freezing is usually in the Video Card driver .. completely uninstall drivers and re-install the latest
or go back one or two drivers to find one that works.

A good way to see if it is an issue with the video drivers is to uninstall completely and do not re-install.
If the computer does not freeze running straight then you have found your issue.

These are the baby steps to get you started troubleshooting this .. Please keep up posted, best of luck.
Let's get this machine ROG'n so you can have some fun with it. .c.

It's freezing but this is before actually loading the video driver. It's just using the windows standard at this point. I haven't yet connected this to the net to download the latest as I've now burned through 5 activations of Windows 8.1. The video cards are also cool to the touch (on the metal head xfer bar anyway).

No BSOD's but sometimes when it freezes and I reboot it's then corrupted giving a wdf01000.sys file couldn't be found (typing from memory, could be wrong). I haven't tried any other memory, I'm currently extended on this purchase (still waiting for the MSI 970 Gamers MB to go back and the MSI 990FXZ-D65 as well -- 970 only have 1 16x lane, though box says two, 990FXZ-D65 doesn't support the FX-9590 -- even though that's the one MSI told me to buy 😕 ). All of this worked great in the MSI 970 Gamers MB, ram it for a day without any issue.

chris635
Level 7
Try this first

North Bridge Configuration
Memory Configuration
ECC (error correction ram, why ASUS has this is enabled, I do not know, as this is mostly used for servers or work stations, and most ram is not ecc capable unless you purposefully bought it) set it to disabled. This caused me a ton of head ache's until I disabled it. My gskill ram is not ecc capable.

Disable c6 state. Enable HPC.
Chris...Have a nice day.

blppt
Level 7
C6 state, if you cant get it stable at stock speeds without C6, something else is wrong. Especially since this power-hungry monster is going to be drawing about 80W more at idle than if you leave C6 on. :eek:

Hopefully its just your ECC settings as mentioned above.

BTW, am I correct in seeing you have 4 8GB modules installed (total 32GB)? If so, you *may* need to dial back the RAM speed to 1333mhz, as the 9590s memory controller is only rated for 1333mhz by AMD with all banks filled, and some 8GB sticks like mine are dual ranked.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
You have received some very good advice from the guys above Gary.

Now my two cents 🙂

1) I also know that by default the memory speed is set for Auto which caused BSOD in Windows 7; make sure to set that to 1866MHz.
2) Um...when running Prime95 my system jumped from 150 watts to over 550 watts with the configuration listed below:
FX-8350
One Matrix R9 270X
One CD-ROM
One SSD
One Hard Disk
With all the high end components you are using it make be worth while to invest in a new PSU; CoolMaster, Corsair, ThermalTake, etc all make good PSUs.

Your missing file is a File System error; maybe try a standard hard disk for now. Also try running one memory stick at a time too as well as running a single graphic card.

I think you have a bit of trouble-shooting to do but you are on the right path. PS: I've seen issues with the Window drivers causing lock-ups; make sure you have resolved all "unknown devices" driver issues too!

Keep us posted on your progress!

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

GarySmith
Level 7
Disabled ECC, Enabled HPC. This improved the testing, didn't crash as soon, still did. Dropped memory speed to 1333, had some issues but on 8 threads during the testing in prime95 (for the benchmark test). Dropped memory speed to 1066. Also crashed. Currently experimenting with the C6 option. I am starting to think it could also be a power issue. I might rob the new PSU from my daughters machine and see if that changes anything.

What is really odd is that I can run all of the torture tests in prime93, to including custom test to use 100% of the ram (setting it to 30gb) and it will run like a champ.

Tonight I will play with the C6 option little more as well.

One question that I'm finding in several places is about setting custom values for the memory cas speeds. I haven't touched that yet, but looking into it, there are a ton of settings so I'm not sure if I should touch that and if so, what I should set them to.

FURY Memory Red - 16GB Kit* (2x8GB) - DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMM
Part Number: HX318C10FRK2/16
Specs: DDR3, 1866MHz, CL10, 1.5V, Unbuffered, Spec Sheet PDF
Timings: 1866MHz, 10-11-10, 1.5V

GarySmith
Level 7
Small little update, I set it to run before going and I check before actually leaving and it had run for 1 hour without issue completing the benchmark test. BIOS settings,

Memory Frequency DDR3-1333mhz
DRAM Refresh Rate: Every 3.9ms (Kingston PDF says, "Average Refresh Period 7.8us at lower than TCASE 85°C,
3.9us at 85°C < TCASE < 95°C" -- thought it might be worth a shot http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/HX318C10FRK2_16.pdf )

CPU Configuration:
C6 ENABLED
HPC: ENABLED

North Bridge:
ECC: DISABLED

I still want to explore the C6 option a little more. I might replace the PSU for general purpose.

Any thoughts to why the C6 option has to be disabled?

chris635
Level 7
On my system, I have the cores unlocked (all 8 running), at high overclocks c6 locks me up. I through that c6 option out there just for trouble shooting, as I know not every one is set up like me.
Chris...Have a nice day.

chris635 wrote:
On my system, I have the cores unlocked (all 8 running), at high overclocks c6 locks me up. I through that c6 option out there just for trouble shooting, as I know not every one is set up like me.

If you had any desire to get C6 running again, you might try changing the power response control under DIGI+ to Fast or Extreme, I noticed that made a difference when I was trying lower peak voltage @ 5ghz.