cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Strix Z490-E, When restart manual from windows it hangs at Q-CODE 00

Oizopower
Level 7
Hello Everyone !

Last week I bought a new PC and put it together. This is not the first time for me to do this 🙂 However, I now have a quite annoying problem.

Issue:
As soon as I manually reboot from Windows (or after a driver update that asks to reboot) I get a black screen 9 out of 10 times after the reboot, Directly before the POST of the BIOS screen. Sometimes the fans blow harder, but sometimes not then they run normal. Then I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds and then turn it back on normally. Then everything will go well.
When it goes wrong the Q-CODE switches to 05 and then it stays on 00 doing nothing. according to the manual of the motherboard the code 00 is not used.

The memory modules are in the recommended slots A_2 and B_2

Hardware:
Processors: Intel Core i9-10900K Avengers Edition Boxed
Motherboards: Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming
Video cards Nvidia: GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 XL Tempered Glass Dark Tint
Water cooling: NZXT Kraken X73
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW32GX4M2D3600C18
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 750W
Solid state drives Intel 660p 2TB
Solid state drives Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB

What have I already tried myself:
* Bios updated to version 0707
* Bios downgraded to version 0607
* XMP profile disabled and enabled again
* Fast Boot turned off in the BIOS
* checked the PSU voltage values ​​in the BIOS
* Reseated Memory and Video Card and CPU
* OS Type in Bios changed to Windows UEFI
* CSM turned off in the bios and then on again
* Bios Defaults
* Clear CMOS
* Refitted CPU again and looked for bent pins on the MB
* C states turned off in bios
* Unplugged all USB's and audio etc.

So at the moment I am a bit confused and I am not sure what the next steps will be. the PC works fine except for the reboot, which is now getting pretty annoying.
6 REPLIES 6

Super_Gnome
Level 11
I have no idea what your issue is, but did some Google searches and this kind of thing came up:

That issue usually occurs when over tightening the heatsink or something is shorting the board.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/q-code-00-no-boot-troubleshooting.1703492/

And from this Asus forum:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54418-Q-Code-00#:~:text=If%20memory%20serves%20me%20correc....

Thank you for your quick response, I loosened the screws on the MB a little more. and also on the heatsink. unfortunately this has no effect yet. I also took a video of the socket earlier to see if any pins are bent. as far as I can see no pins are bent.

pndiode wrote:
Might be incompatible RAM

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z490-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/

Just focus on the Q-Code 05 in below thread:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98126-Memory-Code-05-amp-Memory-Code-EE

I have some older DDR 4 in my previous PC with a Asus Ranger MB according to the list this should be compatible. I'll switch them tonight to see if this is the problem. I'll keep you updated.

Edit:

So i have tested my PC with the following ram: Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 16GB DDR4 3000
According to the compatibillity list this should be compatible.

Steps i have done:
- Load BIOS defaults
- Replaced ram
- Clear CMOS
- Load BIOS defaults

After restarting my PC for the second time in windows (Start > Restart) i got the code 00 again. and no screen.
I'm clueless right now.. hope you guys still have some ideas. I really have the idea it might be a bad motherboard what are your ideas?.

Edit: 12:57 PM
I have made a screenshot from the BIOS where you can see the voltages. it seems okay to me

I also have removed my GPU again, so i was just using the onboard GPU. Still the same result.

Edit: 14:15 PM
Still trying to Debug stuff and see where the problem comes from. So far i have noticed something weird. It seems to happen every 2nd restart of the PC it hangs on code 00.

I also tried hitting the Case reset button, and the first time it works as a reset button should be working. But the second time while booting the system hangs for a 10 seconds and then powers off and turn on again. This is some odd behaviour i have not seen before.

I ended up returning the MB and got a new one, all seems to be working now as it should be,