cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage 4 Extreme - Should I RMA?

Khatru311
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I jumped to the X79 platform in January. My goal was to build an awesome gaming and video editing machine. Unfortunately, the computer I have built has seen nothing but issues since day one. The most recent issue appears to be with my RAM / Motherboard. I ran Memtest last night and I immediately saw errors. I am sending the RAM off to RMA today. My question is how do I know if it is the RAM causing the issue and not the motherboard? I am so frustrated I am tempted to RMA everything I have that is under warranty and starting fresh. Should I just cut my losses and RMA my motherboard and CPU along with my RAM or should I wait for the RAM to come back and see if that solves the issue. I have just started my own business and I need this computer up and running as soon as possible. I have never had any issues with any computer I have built in the pass. I guess my luck has run out with X79. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you.

Additional Info:

My computer was working one day and then the next it showed BootMGR error. I immediately figured this was the OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs I was using due to their poor track record.

WHile the OCZ drives were in RMA I purchesed the intel 520 Cherryville drives. I installed these last night only to discover that the ram is not working correctly.

I could not get the motherboard to post so I tried only one RAM stick in the first slot and the motherboard finally posted. One by one I tried each ram stick in slot one and the computer posted each time.

Next I added all 4 sticks on ram into the correct slots identified in the mobo manual. The first time I tried this it displayed only 12 gigs of ram instead of 16.

I turned off the computer and reseated the ram. Finally, it displayed 16 gigs of ram.

I started my window 7 ultime install but was met with several BSODs during install and restarts, Finally, Windows 7 installed but it would not update correctly. I am using a legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

I ran Memtest and it immediately displayed errors.

System Specs:

Asus Rampage 4 Extreme

G.Skill Ripjaw Z Series 16GB 2133

EVGA Vanilla GTX 680 x 2

Intel Cherryville 520 180GB Raid 0

Silverstone 1500 watt PSU

Previous issues - Gigabyte UD5 - Receieved bent CPU pins and returned

- ASUS Pro (I forgot the name) Motherboard x79 - Wouldn't boot RMA leading to full return

- OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSDs (RMA Currently in RMA)

- G.Skill Ripjaw Z Series (16GB 2133 Currently in RMA)
11 REPLIES 11

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Yes,

I tried the stock settings that the MOBO provides and I used the XMP profile as well. Both resulted in the same BSODs during install.

Khatru311 wrote:
Yes,

I tried the stock settings that the MOBO provides and I used the XMP profile as well. Both resulted in the same BSODs during install.

OK just to be clear, apart from selecting XMP you should have made some voltage adjustments following the Gskill advice. Did you do that?

Are your SSD firmwares both the same and up to date? Maybe you just got unlucky with your RAM...memtest failing is a sign either the kit was bad or not running as it should. What BIOS are you running and which CPU?

This system was running succesfully for 3-4 months and then it suddenly stopped working. For the 3 -4 months it was working the Ram was using the G.SKill XMP profile with zero issues. The RAM is rated at 2133. However, even running it at 1600 resulted in the same issue.

The system was running fine on Bios 1305 for 3 - 4 months with the G.Skill ram.

The issue occured 2 days ago on Bios 1305.

Last night I tried to reinstall Windows 7 with Bios 1305 and was unsuccesful.

I upgraded the bios to 1404 and the same issue happened.

My processor is an Intel 3930k. All setting are at stock when the BSODs occured.

Khatru311 wrote:
This system was running succesfully for 3-4 months and then it suddenly stopped working.

OK, this really didn't come across from the first post. So, of course the question is any updates/changes just before this occurred? Was the system overclocked up until this time and if so how manual or offset what voltages, cooling. Is the power supply new and/or reliable do you have another to test?

Eliminating piece by piece when this happens is difficult. Have you tried the second bios to see if this still happens on the other BIOS chip?

There is an Intel CPU testing software...IPDT: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19792

Khatru311 wrote:
Unfortunately, the computer I have built has seen nothing but issues since day one. The most recent issue appears to be with my RAM / Motherboard.

Khatru311 wrote:
This system was running succesfully for 3-4 months and then it suddenly stopped working. For the 3 -4 months it was working the Ram was using the G.SKill XMP profile with zero issues. .

These kind of contradictions makes it nearly impossible to troubleshoot correctly. Good luck to you and good day, sir.

Antec 2002 Chassis - AMG 1000 Modified
Asus Rampage IV Extreme (bios 4201)
Intel® Management Engine (firmware 8.1.10.1286)
EVGA GTX 680 - PCI-E @ x16 3.0 (driver 332.21)
Intel 3960x revision C2 @ 4.7ghz daily - rock solid
G.Skill Ripsaw Z - 32 gig @ 2133mhz
Corsair: 2x Force GT, AX1200, H80
Windows 7 64bit

Terminal_Meltdo
Level 10
Khatru311 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I jumped to the X79 platform in January. My goal was to build an awesome gaming and video editing machine. Unfortunately, the computer I have built has seen nothing but issues since day one. The most recent issue appears to be with my RAM / Motherboard. I ran Memtest last night and I immediately saw errors. I am sending the RAM off to RMA today. My question is how do I know if it is the RAM causing the issue and not the motherboard? I am so frustrated I am tempted to RMA everything I have that is under warranty and starting fresh. Should I just cut my losses and RMA my motherboard and CPU along with my RAM or should I wait for the RAM to come back and see if that solves the issue. I have just started my own business and I need this computer up and running as soon as possible. I have never had any issues with any computer I have built in the pass. I guess my luck has run out with X79. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thank you.

Additional Info:

My computer was working one day and then the next it showed BootMGR error. I immediately figured this was the OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs I was using due to their poor track record.

WHile the OCZ drives were in RMA I purchesed the intel 520 Cherryville drives. I installed these last night only to discover that the ram is not working correctly.

I could not get the motherboard to post so I tried only one RAM stick in the first slot and the motherboard finally posted. One by one I tried each ram stick in slot one and the computer posted each time.

Next I added all 4 sticks on ram into the correct slots identified in the mobo manual. The first time I tried this it displayed only 12 gigs of ram instead of 16.

I turned off the computer and reseated the ram. Finally, it displayed 16 gigs of ram.

I started my window 7 ultime install but was met with several BSODs during install and restarts, Finally, Windows 7 installed but it would not update correctly. I am using a legit copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

I ran Memtest and it immediately displayed errors.

System Specs:

Asus Rampage 4 Extreme

G.Skill Ripjaw Z Series 16GB 2133

EVGA Vanilla GTX 680 x 2

Intel Cherryville 520 180GB Raid 0

Silverstone 1500 watt PSU

Ignore the XMP profiles and set the timings manually like I did. If you don't set it manually you will fail. I've had ZERO issues out of G.Skill Z memory setting it manually. Also, I've had ZERO issue with bios 1404 and previously ran revision 1201 up until a couple of weeks ago with ZERO problems.

Antec 2002 Chassis - AMG 1000 Modified
Asus Rampage IV Extreme (bios 4201)
Intel® Management Engine (firmware 8.1.10.1286)
EVGA GTX 680 - PCI-E @ x16 3.0 (driver 332.21)
Intel 3960x revision C2 @ 4.7ghz daily - rock solid
G.Skill Ripsaw Z - 32 gig @ 2133mhz
Corsair: 2x Force GT, AX1200, H80
Windows 7 64bit

Necrosan
Level 12
Sounds to me like bad RAM or improperly configured RAM settings.
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

The CPU is watercooled.

My case is a Corsair 800d.

I don't believe it is a PSU issue because the machine isn't losing power it is BSOD'ing. Unfortunately, I do not have another psu to test.

The system was OC'd to 4.5 when the issue originally occurred. However, when attempting to reinstall Windows 7everything was at stock settings. I never use an OC when installing windows. Plus, the bios update wiped out my OC settings. Judging by everyones comments I think I will just RMA the ram and hope that it fixes the issue. If not then I will RMA the motherboard next. It really sucks. I guess I will have to find something else to do with my time for the next week or so.