cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus VI Hero Error Code 00 - Boot up/POST failing on occasion

DJ_GLiTCH
Level 7
I signed up to this forum in search of answers for this situation as well... To fix this problem (when it happened one time least) was to force a reflash of the motherboard BIOS from the special USB port on the back of the motherboard. Have you tried this yet? Mine was dead like yours after it supposedly 'successfully updated' to the new BIOS 0711 (or something)....

I have the exact same symptoms as you, but for me my computer will turn on and turn off within half a second, repeat this again by itself, and then stay off. IF it will then turn back on manually (and stays running) it will report Error 00 with the same CPU LED symptoms that you have described. I then turn it off, and back on again and it will say overclocking failed but will continue to work. If it doesn't turn back on and stay running it will continuously repeat the half second shut down loop until I turn the power supply off for 5 seconds and then it and the computer back on; then it all works perfectly. I have all new components like you and this is only maybe once every two days, but it does happen (seems to be more likely on a cold day)... Does this sound familiar or related to you?

ps. Sorry if it seems like I'm trying to hijack your thread. I'm just trying to be clear and seek similar instances of this problem out with other ROG members. 😮

My core components are as follows:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 (non-K model, preferred the full set of features)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero Z87
RAM: 4x G.Skill Ripjaws Z 8GB 2133Mhz (F3-2133C11D-16GZL)
Power Supply: Cooler Master 700W Extreme Power
31 REPLIES 31

HiVizMan
Level 40
I think that is a different set of behaviours. I am going to move your post and my reply to a new thread.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DJ_GLiTCH
Level 7
Have these sort of symptoms being seen before? Any way of trying to pin point the exact problem? The second bios is a lot better than the first at preventing this from happening, but it still happens enough to be worrisome... Thanks.

Ps. If this helps explain my situation, here is a post on another forums I made to help with another issue I had (ram was unstable at first, but the last page or so is relevant to this issue). If I'm not allowed to post links just let me know and I'll promptly remove it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401516/haswell-and-asus-maximus-vi-hero-z87-g-skill-ripjaws-z-ram-unstab...

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries about the link. We are not a tosser forum at all. We want to help people not invent rules to make folks in need of assistance feel bad about posting for help.

The easy way to resolve the why of this issue and go some place to fixing the what too, is to swap out a CPU. Do you have a mate that you can borrow his CPU to test if that new cpu has the same behaviour?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

DJ_GLiTCH
Level 7
That's good to know. I just didn't want to annoy anyone since I'm new here and some places (although useful) have some pretty stupid policies in place that seem to sneak into other forums...

About the CPU, unfortunately I'm the only person I know of who has a 1155 compatible processor. It has been reseated before and there didn't seem to be any unusual visual damage. I'm not sure if this could be a reason, but what sort of voltages are need for the initial boot voltage? To get the CPU running? I'm thinking it could maybe be that the auto setting is not good enough, but then again I don't see as to why turning the PSU off and on again would cause it to boot without any issues. Apart from that, all settings never change and everything is consistent (including the way the boot fails), it's just that I never know when it will do it next. Completely random so far, besides the temperature of my room (seems to be more likely on cold days) but that could be me trying to come up with something, not to mention these parts were only released in June and it's still winter in Australia...

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries.

Right here is what I would like you to do.

Fat formatted USB drive.
Download an earlier BIOS
Use the BIOS flashback method to flash your bios to the older bios.

Now power up.

DJ_GLiTCH
Level 7
I will do this over the weekend once I'm able to sit down and tinker for a little bit, but would this help in fixing the issue if it existed on both previous (initial) and newer (current) BIOS images, which have previously been flashed via the flashback method? It seems to be better with the current BIOS, but it does still happen on occasion. Unfortunately, it's not like a regular computer error where it's consistent when you do something in particular, it's just every once in a while when you try to boot up (once every two days, give or take). Thanks for your suggestions and advice! You should be getting paid for your contributions to the ROG community, if you aren't already. 😛

HiVizMan wrote:
I think that is a different set of behaviours. I am going to move your post and my reply to a new thread.

Also, would it be at all possible for the title of this thread to be changed to "Asus Maximus VI Hero Error Code 00 - Boot up/POST failing on occasion"? I think this better describes the issue and would make it easier for others to locate if they were experiencing something similar. Thanks.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No problem done

DJ_GLiTCH
Level 7
I was unable to do the testing that I wanted to get done on the weekend, but I did manage to record a failed bootup to help explain my issue. I know it's 3 minutes of everyone's life, but it does a better job at explaining things than I can with 3 minutes of words. 😛 I hope this helps with the diagnosing...

http://youtu.be/_NTwJQvmmGQ

HiVizMan
Level 40
Pity about youtube it is blocked for me.

I am going to return to my first response, see if you can get the CPU replaced (tested) please. I suspect your issues will be resolved with a replacement.