cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z270E / STRIX 1080Ti problem

Eberwolf
Level 7
Alright guys this has been frustrating me for well over a week now. I just built a new PC from the ground up and everything is working perfectly except when I plug in my GPU. When the GPU is in I get no display signal on boot and I'm certain I'm not even making it past POST because I also receive no power to my on board USB devices nor does my computer show any drive activity. I started experiencing this problem before I ever installed Windows. I have been able to boot with a display using the GPU successfully only a handful of times although there seems to be no pattern behind it. When I have gotten a display one of two things happens. Either a period of time passes before my screen freezes (could be several minutes) or I restart / shutdown my computer and the next boot I receive no signal, no USB power, no drive activity. After some extensive testing including using my old AMD 7700 in the same PCI-E slot (which worked just fine) I concluded the GPU must be DOA however the replacement card I received has the exact same issue. Obviously the card and motherboard are compatible considering they are both Asus STRIX series but what frustrates me the most is that there is a livestream of a build using almost identical parts entirely to me by some Asus employees and everything worked for them off the first boot (no BIOS updates, no driver setup, no troubleshooting necessary whatsoever). You can find the link to the livestream below.

Livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erRuoSdtuww
Other Asus employee build (same mobo and STRIX 1080): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXlVVpOkRkw

Things I have tried
-Using a single stick of RAM alternating the slot and stick
-Updating BIOS to the latest version (1009 in my case)
-Disabling integrated graphics in Windows
-Disabling Fast Boot in BIOS
-Ensuring CSM is enabled in BIOS
-Full reset of BIOS via CMOS
-Setting BIOS to use iGPU by default (no video from iGPU with GPU inserted still this further tells me I am not making it through POST)
-Different HDMI cables / monitors
-Different VGA power cables (A single 2x 8 pin and two separate 8 pin)
-Reseating the card several times (it clicks in every time)
-Using both PCI-E slots on my mobo

Other Information
-I do not have another PC to test the 1080Ti in or friends with adequate PC's
-I ensured that I had the HDMI plugged into the GPU and not iGPU as well as plugged into the iGPU when I set the BIOS to use iGPU by default
-I used an anti-static wrist strap for my entire build

Specs
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270E
CPU: I7-7700k
CPU-cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 AIO
Fans: 1x 120mm NZXT Aer RGB and 1x 140mm NZXT Aer RGB
RAM: GSkill Trident RGB 2 x 8GB
PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 850W Gold
GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 1080Ti OC 11GB
Storage: Samsung 500GB SSD and Western Digital 1TB HDD
Case: NZXT S340 Elite
Other: NZXT Hue+ controller with 4x LED strips
2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15

Bill
Level 7
Hello Eberwolf
If the GPU works on other motherboards, than the issue may be on your Z270E
Do you have any other GPU to test with? If you are not sure what to do, I would suggest you to RMA it
Thank you