cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix GTX980 Ti Metal Popping sound

Katszc
Level 7
Heyo!

So, I have a computer with one of these cards in it and wondering, before I send it off for repair, if I do have to.

Here's a video of the problem in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhgSFMO7JW8

Reason I call it metal popping is because to me it sounds like when a motorbike gets really hot, and you then turn it off, the exhaust starts popping with a very metal(ly) sound, to me it sounds similar to it, just... smaller?

And another problem has propped up but is very possible that I just didn't pay attention to before.
In idle, 2 fans are spinning (this could be fixed with some settings) and the last fan periodically starts spinning but when it does, the card starts vibrating, a lot.
When touching the card you can really feel the vibrations, hell, just touching the case and you can feel it.

I've never had cards like these so I don't know what's normal and what isn't.
2 REPLIES 2

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Give a time and it will disaapear. Have the same on Strix 980 Ti years ago. After few hours Unigine Heaven run it dissapeared noise.

lpiotrowski211 wrote:
Give a time and it will disaapear. Have the same on Strix 980 Ti years ago. After few hours Unigine Heaven run it dissapeared noise.

I have been tinkering with fan speeds manually and this sound has gotten... better? Previously this noise would start when leaving Overwatch running at 250 FPS once the degrees started reaching about 65 degrees celcius, now it only starts when reaching about 72 and even then its very rarely, at around 75 is when things really start.

It doesn't feel safe to leave it running like this for too long, but I also don't know if this is a sound reason for sending the computer off. As the sound only ever occurs when I actually want it to, or when playing a game like Witcher 3 so card runs hot enough.

Reason I'm hesitating to send it off is for 2 reasons:
1) I'd have to send it by mail, and the mail system in my country is garbage, they take 0 care with things and I do not know what would happen if the thing breaks during shipping, I've sent it off once before because of a faulty CPU or something, and that time they set the box with the computer in standing so it could tip over, even though the box has clear signs that it should be laying down, luckily I was there and saw it so I could say something.
2) As this sound only ever happens when the card is running very hot, will the company I got it from even take note of it and do anything?

Would love to hear some more thoughts about this.