cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix 3090 - Vram / Memory Temp Junction temperature -

Asryan
Level 10
Hi,

i've read a lot about the "safe" temp for the memory of my gpu but seems the answers are always different and it's very frustrating.

It depends on the games i'm running of course but i could see that in some games like Biomutant or days gone for instance, the memory T junction is quite high and can hover around 90c even with max fan speed. With the stock profile and frequency around 1970/2000Mhz and no further OC

I have undervolted my gpu to 0.875@1860Mhz but it's a bit annoying to have to do this to get quiter temps.

What is really considered unsafe for the temps?

For Gddr6x, Sometimes i read you have to keep it under 90c, other time it's 100 or even 105, maybe I have an OCD on temperatures but it's killing me all my fun to play games.

For core : i suppose 75c to 80 is fine?

thanks again for your answers
8 REPLIES 8

kubr0
Level 7
I'd say that anything below 100 degrees is safe for whatever chip or electronic part. I think this is also a general rule of thumb for all electronics. There is no reason why the RAM on your GPU should have a different safe temperature range than your CPU lets say, which in the end, is just another electronic chip. If it should rise above 100 degrees, you should get concerned, because above that, 105-110 degrees, it could start damaging the chips seating or other parts.

There is absolutely NO reason for you to be concerned if the RAM is hitting 90 degrees, nor the core hitting 80, they can safely go up to 100.

Asryan
Level 10
Thanks i will try to enjoy gaming again without any undervolt and enjoy the full power of the GPU 🙂

JoergH
Level 7
I have a RTX3080 Strix... 2 of them in 2 PCs...
GPU 70°
HotSpot 86°
Mem 82°
But both are way to loud at @Stock (and they have coil-While)

I think everybody should undervolt his GPU (3xxx):
Lost of 2% performance, but quite - and no coil-whine...
GPU 63° -7
Hotspot 79°C -7
Mem 78°C -3
The fans are much much more silent (i personaly can not run the cards @stock - way to loud)

While playing, the only difference is that i dont hear the card and longer...:-)
The can not see any lost of performance (but i know that it is there, but i can not feel these 2-3 fps).

Go for undervolt, lower temp = better for your hardware...

Asryan
Level 10
What's your undervolt settings?

I went for 1875@0.825, all stable and indeed i haven't really seen a loss of performance

Same for me for noise, even with headset it's really not bearable..

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Asryan wrote:
Hi,

i've read a lot about the "safe" temp for the memory of my gpu but seems the answers are always different and it's very frustrating.

It depends on the games i'm running of course but i could see that in some games like Biomutant or days gone for instance, the memory T junction is quite high and can hover around 90c even with max fan speed. With the stock profile and frequency around 1970/2000Mhz and no further OC

I have undervolted my gpu to 0.875@1860Mhz but it's a bit annoying to have to do this to get quiter temps.

What is really considered unsafe for the temps?

For Gddr6x, Sometimes i read you have to keep it under 90c, other time it's 100 or even 105, maybe I have an OCD on temperatures but it's killing me all my fun to play games.

For core : i suppose 75c to 80 is fine?

thanks again for your answers

Hello,

Maybe look at your case ambients. below 100c is not uncommon for memory T-Junction, GDDR6X do tend to run quite warm.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JoergH
Level 7
I have 1860Mhz @850mV
I get 1905Mhz @850mV stable, but to be sure, i go to 1860Mhz...:-)
This works everwhere - Benchmarks, Gaming - everthing...:-)

Asryan
Level 10
Oh ok so 1875@0.825 is pretty good then?

JoergH
Level 7
Yes.

Beside that, 90° Mem-Temp is not a problem, 6X-mem gets very hot... there are RTX3xxx-Models where the Mem hits nearly 100°...
But as for everything: lower is better...:)

I would try to UV the GPU for lower noise and better temps.
80° Hotspot and Mem and 70° GPU is what my goal is...

But, to be hornest, CPU 80 / HS 90 / Mem 95 would all so be okay...