cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pushing the titan v

Rob_W_
Level 12
I brought mine the day they got released , even my bank queried the transaction:rolleyes:
Anyway I have pushed this card as far as I can and had some fun doing so, I *have installed full *EK water block**and used liquid metal, it has its own loop and runs (for a cientific card) games fantastic never going above 32 deg, but the card has been nobled by nvidea who have power throttled it, this power throttling is due to there 5ohm shunts, now it’s at this point that someone is saying ‘that’s for a reason’ and yes it is probably so they can unlock it on the next iteration of gaming cards?
*I could use the LM on the shunts but that would risk destroying the solder, ultimately making card scrap.
I Will do a*shunt mod for my own satisfaction, so will be putting in some 3ohm resistors to allow the card to draw more power, I’ve thought long and hard about the cost of the Titan v but think it will be very interesting project and hopefully successful, besides isn’t that why they make these things ...:cool:
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I was initially very resistant to this idea but currently Ohm coming round to it...after all, volt could go wrong?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I was initially very resistant to this idea but currently Ohm coming round to it...after all, volt could go wrong?

Arne: Watt you talking about?

Rob W: Good luck, I hope you get the shunt right (right shunt?). Volt could go wrong, but I hope it doesn't.

Quozzo
Level 7
You could use clear nail varnish if you're worried about the Liquid Metal shorting components, it won't be able to do much against the solder touching the LM though. You could just simply solder another resister over the shunt. No LM involved but it might not be reversible and thus would permanently void the warranty.

Rob_W_
Level 12
@Quozzo Only thing I will use liquid metal on is cpu and gpu chip, as i have already done , have ordered some 3mo resistors for the mod but, I have a conductive *pen ‘ which I am toying with the idea of trying as this afaik is non destructive to solder and has a resistance value of 0.001mo per mm, just got to work out how much to use to drop the shunt from 5mo to 3mo silver pen is mg chemicals 842ar-p conductive pen.
But Hey! card runs great, just fed up of hitting power throttle?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
You'll likely find that even with the shunt mod working as intended, although boost clocks will remain more stable upon hitting the upper limit, you won't gain much in the way of performance. There are other power limits inplace outside of hardware restrictions.

Furthermore, what do you really need the extra performance for? Are you running VR? Triple display? I wouldn't bother, personally.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Rob_W_
Level 12
Sorry @Silent Scone!,!*
Perhaps I should explain, as a child I dismantled everything in the house to see how it worked ( mum and dad were quite pissed off about this ) so even now I will / have to dismantle things just out of curiosity ! ( now wife is pissed off lol)
*My gpu runs great, I know there are protocols on the board and limits but even at 3000 dollars/ £2700 I have the irresistible urge to play.
You are quite right it will not boost clocks that much but should help stabilise the Oc at least without too much trouble/ or risk and no I don’t need it it’s just for the fun of it...... and to help my benchmarks lol.
*:)*
I could live without doing it but then I’d always be wondering???*

Rob_W_
Level 12
Tried the silver pen mod, results are, card runs hotter and no significant difference in stability at higher Oc.
Here is the mod
74774*
Seems to me the only ways to go are, either leave card alone or piggyback 5mo resistors to the shunts.
First I will clean shunts off, then rethink on trying the piggyback method, but to get the best from it, it needs to be cool, ( seems titans love the cold.🤔*