cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG RAIDR deactivates keyboard after one keypress on boot

DFSchmidt
Level 7
Hi folks,

I've just recently purchased a 240 GB ROG RAIDR Express PCIE SSD, only to find that, whenever it's physically installed, my keyboard is good for exactly one keypress on boot-up - for instance, I can press DELETE to get into my BIOS setup, or F11 to get into my BIOS boot menu, but after that, no additional keyboard inputs are accepted, and I cannot navigate any menus or anything. This is in spite of the fact that the ROG RAIDR Express (in Legacy Mode, to be clear) *is* being detected and I *do* see the screen indicating I can press CTRL-M to alter settings, etc.

My hardware is as follows:

MSI P7N SLI motherboard (nForce 750i SLI chipset)
Intel Core2Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz quad core CPU (not OCed)
2 x 2GB of G.Skill PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM (F2-6400CL5-2GBPQ) @ 400 MHz
PNY VCGGTX650T1XPB GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB PCIE x16 video card
HighPoint RocketU 1142A PCIE x4 USB 3.0 host adapter
3x WD SATA HDDs (300GB Velociraptor, 150GB Raptor, 640GB Caviar Black)
1x WD IDE HDD (320GB Caviar SE)
1x SATA optical drive (LG GGW-H20L BD-RE)
1x IDE optical drive (NEC ND-3500AG DVD-RW)
Logitech Internet 350 Keyboard (Y-UM76A) - connected via USB 2.0 on MB
Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical - connected via PS2 port on MB using USB-to-PS2 adapter

This MB has a single x16 PCIE slot and two x8 PCIE slots. I've tried pulling all other cards and installing the ROG RAIDR in each of the aforementioned slots (with the video card in the first x8 slot in the event the RAIDR is in the x16 slot), with no changes in the symptoms. I've also tried disabling the on-MB IDE controller as well as IDE bus-mastering to see if that would make a difference, since the RAIDR shows up as an IDE device. Again, no good. I have not disabled the on-board SATA controller as of yet, because this would be an unacceptable solution were it to work, but I may try at some point, just to see if it helps. I may also try waiting until the ROG RAIDR boot screen comes up and using CTRL-M as my one allowed keypress, to see if that does any good, but if I cannot do anything after that, I doubt it'll change much. I tried attaching the keyboard to the PS2 keyboard port via a USB-to-PS2 keyboard adapter I had laying around, but it didn't work at all then; that said, I think either the adapter or the port on my MB is bad, so I will grab a known good PS2 keyboard from work and try that at home in the near future, just to see if that enables me to retain control of the keyboard for more than a single keystroke. This would also enable me to disable legacy USB support, or on-board USB support altogether, and see if that changes anything. This MB is rather old and is not UEFI compliant by any means, so I have not tried switching the RAIDR to UEFI.

Still a few things to try, in other words, but at the same time I would really appreciate some help / suggestions from anyone who may have had and / or solved this problem with their system so as to save myself some time, effort, and grief. Thanks in advance!

-DS
7 REPLIES 7

Deon017
Level 8
Hi

Not sure but your hardware is from 2008 - ACHI mode?? Just think your board is not compatible - only the first slot is PCI-e 2.0 x16 - the other is just PCI-e 1.0 x8. The RAIDR needs PCI-e 2.0 x2.

Here is a link to your board: http://au.msi.com/product/mb/P7N_SLI_Platinum__P7N_Zilent.html#hero-specification

Hope this helps

Hi Deon017,

Thanks for writing. Yes, this is an older motherboard, absolutely. As noted in my post, however, I anticipated the PCIE issue and have already tried installing the board in the first slot; this did not solve the problem. In the BIOS, under On-Chip ATA Devices, I do have a RAID mode option, with possible settings being IDE and RAID. It is currently set to IDE. I will try RAID, on the theory that that might enable AHCI functionality and allow the card to work. For the link to the board, that's close, but it is the P7N SLI, not the P7N SLI Platinum (too many similar names, admittedly); the correct link is here:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P7N_SLI.html#hero-overview

Thanks again for writing! Will post updates if I make progress; in the meantime, additional thoughts are most welcome.

-DS

Deon017 wrote:
Hi

Not sure but your hardware is from 2008 - ACHI mode?? Just think your board is not compatible - only the first slot is PCI-e 2.0 x16 - the other is just PCI-e 1.0 x8. The RAIDR needs PCI-e 2.0 x2.

Here is a link to your board: http://au.msi.com/product/mb/P7N_SLI_Platinum__P7N_Zilent.html#hero-specification

Hope this helps

Deon017
Level 8
first try and setup the RAIDR with crtl-m - the raid controller is on-board - see if that helps before setting your bios - make sure the LED is NOT on .

Hi Deon017,

Thanks for writing. I would love to do as you suggest, but my system stops responding to keyboard input by the time the RAIDR boot screen comes up; I have never been able to get into the setup menu via CTRL-M as a result.

In the meantime, I went into the BIOS, under On-Chip ATA Devices, and changed the RAID mode option from IDE to RAID, then installed the RAIDR and tried once more. As before, whether it's in the first or the second PCIE slot, the symptoms are the same - the system stops responding to keyboard input and I can't get anywhere. This is in spite of the fact that a closer look at the MSI website indicates that my board *is* AHCI compliant - I say that because MSI makes available an AHCI driver for this board for Windows XP and Vista (it's referred to as the nVidia C72+MCP55 SATA RAID / AHCI Driver). There is no such driver for Windows 7, presumably because no such driver is required for Windows 7.

Currently, ASUS tech support has indicated that I should confirm that the RAIDR is not DoA by installing it in another PC and verifying that it's functional, so that's the next course of action on my side. They have already raised the possibility that this is simply not compatible with my system, however, and I have a sinking suspicion that this is probably the case. It's really unfortunate that there is no compatibility list on the ASUS website, or any additional documentation indicating which chipsets the RAIDR works with, what other specifications must be met for an install to be successful, etc., etc. The whole purpose of the Legacy mode of this drive is to breath new life into older machines, so if it doesn't work with older machines, that sort of defeats the point.

In any event, in the meantime, if anyone reading this has other suggestions, they would be most appreciated.

-DS

Deon017 wrote:
first try and setup the RAIDR with crtl-m - the raid controller is on-board - see if that helps before setting your bios - make sure the LED is NOT on .

DFSchmidt
Level 7
Hi folks,

I've made some progress on this problem, and have discovered something very strange concerning the ROG RAIDR in the process.

First, I took the RAIDR and attempted to install it on another machine (in this case, my office PC, a Lenovo ThinkCentre m91p). There, it functioned without issue. Note that this system has a Sandy Bridge MB with an Intel Q67 chipset, an i5-2400, and 4 GB of DDR3 ram; the RAIDR was in the one x16 PCIE slot and a USB 3.0 controller was in the other x1 PCIE slot, leaving two PCI slots free. The speed was not great - see here:

...but it worked. I grabbed an old PS2 keyboard from work, came back home, plugged it in, and - a miracle, it worked! Here is the RAIDR running on my machine, in the second PCIE slot (faster than above):

The speed in the first slot is effectively identical (maybe even slightly worse), so that doesn't seem to be an issue:

This is about half the speed quoted on the box (they of course note that it depends on the system), but still far faster than any other storage device on my system. Would be nice to know why it isn't faster still, but perhaps it's also a question of the block size being used by HD Tune when it runs the test.

In any event, once in Windows, I noted two devices listed in the Device Manager as having problems - the Marvell ATA Controller (Code 28 - no driver - the drivers that ASUS makes available for the RAIDR took care of this) and an OpenHCD USB host controller, which was complaining that it couldn't start (Code 10). Further investigations using USBDeview, found here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

...made plain a very, very puzzling issue:

The RAIDR, when it boots, is interfering with my MB's on-board USB hardware. However, it is not as simple as that. All of my USB devices work fine and show up in USBDeview, except anything classed as a Human Interface Device (HID). The USB 2.0 devices on my system classified as HIDs include my keyboard, my Rockfire USB-to-game port adapter, and, bizarrely, my UPS (my mouse is plugged in to the PS2 port and so never had a problem). If the aforementioned devices are plugged in to any of my MB's USB 2.0 ports when the RAIDR is installed, they are not detected and do not function. Based on the behavior of my USB keyboard as described in my initial post, it appears that this conflict is independent of WIndows and occurs within seconds of boot-up. If I plug the same devices into the ports associated with my USB 3.0 add-on board, on the other hand, they work just fine.

With that in mind, I have purchased a PCI USB 2.0 card with 4 external ports and an internal USB header for the ports on the front of my case. I've also got a new, PS2 compatible keyboard coming. I have in the meantime disabled my MB's USB hardware, and the hardware issue noted in the Device Manager has disappeared as a result.

So, bottom line, this card does work in my machine - but it's essential that I use the PS2 ports for my mouse and keyboard to ensure that they function.

Given how specific this issue is, I can't help but think that this has something with the way the RAIDR's legacy mode interacts with older systems - and something it should be possible to fix with an appropriate firmware update to the RAIDR. I will pass this information on to ASUS tech support as well, but hopefully this will be helpful to others (I've seen a post from at least one other person with this issue).

Next step will be installing WIndows Pro 8.1 x64 on the RAIDR - will post again once I give this a shot in case I run into additional issues.

-DS

Hi folks,

Just a quick note to state that I was able to install 64-bit WIndows 8.1 Pro on the RAIDR (now my boot drive), and that the upgraded system appears to be working well. The next step will be to install a PSI to USB host adapter to make up for the lack of USB ports I currently face; will post again once that's done.

-DS

DFSchmidt
Level 7
Hi folks,

As a further update, the new PS2-compatible keyboard arrived, as did a 7 port PCI USB 2.0 controller. I installed both, and my PC is now functioning perfectly - no issues with the keyboard, no problems with the USB port situation, I simply need to make sure the on-board USB hardware stays disabled and all is well. The USB controller I got was a StarTech PCIUSB7 with a VIA VT62xx chipset on board, so this confirms that that USB chipset at least does not seem to have any compatibility issues with the ROG RAIDR. At this point, I'm content that I have pushed this machine as far as I possibly can - I should be able to get a few more years out of it before I have to do another build as a result - and I hope that some of the information here has been useful to anyone having similar issues. Along those lines, I note that I am not alone in experiencing such problems with the RAIDR; see here:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46289-No-Usb-s-after-Windows-boot

No obvious commonalities between our builds, so I'm not really sure how to explain this, but apparently it's not just me / not just older boards with this issue. Best to all,

DS