Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790 Hero random bluescreens/errors in the games due to two same Memory kits

yobzhik
Level 7
Just got new hardware and assemble a new PC:
Asus Z790 Hero
Intel 13900k
G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 2 kits for 64Gb each (F5-6000J3238G32GX2-TZ5K).

After assembling started to get a lot of random bluescreens. UnrealEngine games, luckily, mostly show random errors. No overclocking at all. If XMP is enabled - PS is not booting. Fight with this like for a week!

What I tried to fix issues:
- Reseat all MB cables
- Change the custom water cooling's CPU water block
- Reseat memory sticks
- Change my 3090ti to 3080ti card (3090ti was modified by me from air to water cooling, possible problems with assembling)
- Re-install Windows
- Update - downgrade BIOS a few times
- Undervolted CPU up to -0.090v

Original bios (0404) sometimes won't even start (and EZ Flash doesn't work). 0503 (from the original website) worked much more stable, start windows, but anyway didn't give me a chance to play games. Bios from this board (0701) are much, much better. I can play from 5 to 20 minutes before error/bluescreen.

Nothing from this help. Until I tried to remove one kit of memory. And that is weird because, with 64Gb, all are working fine! Even XMP (via XMP Optimised) starts booting. Weird because memory kits are the same. The only difference is S/Ns:
Kit 1:
Kit 2:

So, they were assembled on the same day, in the same factory, and somewhere in the world exists, one more kit was assembled between mine.

If there is any chance for further bios releases, will my memory start to work? It's a pretty good SK Hynix memory, and I don't want to change it. Also, I would prefer to stay with 128Gb.
If not - what about 128Gb kits selling in two boxes, like "A-Tech 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 4800 MHz UDIMM PC5-38400 CL40 DIMM 288-Pin 2Rx8 1.1V"? Will it work on Hero, or I'll still have the same problems?

I've been using ASUS Mobos for the last 10-15 years, and I still have x99 Extreme and x99 Extreme Windows 10 edition, which fixed some BIOS errors about a year ago, and Crosshair VIII Formula still won't boot with XMP, so I know about issues with ASUS bios-es and was ready for this (actually as appears I didn't 🙂 ). But that is something weird not to work with the same kits...
8 REPLIES 8

Xmptroubles
Level 9
I also had problems with 4 DIMMs on a z790-e gaming wifi. Switch to 2 DIMMs with XMP off and no problems. XMP on is another story.

You already figured out 2 DIMMs works fine for you. I would return the extra RAM while you can.

Xmptroubles wrote:
I also had problems with 4 DIMMs on a z790-e gaming wifi. Switch to 2 DIMMs with XMP off and no problems. XMP on is another story.

You already figured out 2 DIMMs works fine for you. I would return the extra RAM while you can.

I believe so close, serial numbers assume that the compatibility of these kits is maximum close to each other. So I don't want to send it back if I have a chance to run it on this mobo with further bios, or I can change it to a different one (1 kit costs almost like a mobo itself).

yobzhik@gmail.com wrote:
I believe so close, serial numbers assume that the compatibility of these kits is maximum close to each other. So I don't want to send it back if I have a chance to run it on this mobo with further bios, or I can change it to a different one (1 kit costs almost like a mobo itself).

I have been there. I used to have 2 kits of 32 each (16x2) at 5600, no matter if they are of same chip and speed. You cannot merge kits, thats all. If you merge kits, they will run at default speed (4000 or 4600) base.

Memory controller requires more voltaje to support 2 kits but always it will result on blue screens for me.

BenchAndGames
Level 10
From GSKILL web

Do not mix memory kits. Memory kits are sold in matched kits that are designed to run together as a set. Mixing memory kits will result in stability issues or system failure.

So you already mix them, you have to chose to run only one kit, or return both and buy a single kit with double GB capacity that you aim for. So you need a single kit with 2x64, or 4x32, if u want that huge capacity RAM

BenchAndGames wrote:
From GSKILL web

Do not mix memory kits. Memory kits are sold in matched kits that are designed to run together as a set. Mixing memory kits will result in stability issues or system failure.

So you already mix them, you have to chose to run only one kit, or return both and buy a single kit with double GB capacity that you aim for. So you need a single kit with 2x64, or 4x32, if u want that huge capacity RAM

Yep, got it, thanks. Looking for any 128Gb kit with 6000+

yobzhik wrote:
Yep, got it, thanks. Looking for any 128Gb kit with 6000+

This configuration is not possible on this platform or any currently, look for a single kit. Memory kits are binned in the density that they are sold in.

Please note that high speed and high density kits may need to be dialled in manually. I would always recommend going for a kit on the QVL that is at least one or two ratios below the maximum frequency validation for best chance of plug and play.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
This configuration is not possible on this platform or any currently, look for a single kit. Memory kits are binned in the density that they are sold in.

Please note that high speed and high density kits may need to be dialled in manually. I would always recommend going for a kit on the QVL that is at least one or two ratios below the maximum frequency validation for best chance of plug and play.

may I know what is the frequency guaranteed by Intel on 4 sticks on raptor lake?
for 2 sticks is 5600MT/s, what about 4 sticks?

thanks!

Murph_9000
Level 14
There are no 2x64 or 4 DIMM configurations currently on the ROG Maximus Z790 Hero Memory QVL. The "Socket support" column is important, telling you how many sticks are validated, and is currently "1,2" for all listed configurations; 4 DIMM configs would be listed as "1,2,4". Hopefully things may improve as DDR5 matures, as was seen with DDR4, due to improvements at the silicon fab level. It's not clear than 64GB DIMMs are supported, as there are none on the QVL and the platform is max 128GB over 4 slots (which could imply max 32GB per slot).

Remember that XMP is overclocking, so going outside validated configs may need some manual tuning. In particular, running 4 DIMM configs is always harder than 2 DIMM configs; and may well require reduced speed, looser timings, or a bit more voltage to be stable.

Caveat emptor, and buy from sources which either guarantee compatibility (such as Crucial) or have a good returns policy.