cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z790 Hero Q Codes

Jed2021
Level 8
My mobo is bouncing between 38/39/40/41/42/44/51/56 depending on what I'm doing in Windows, although the 38-40 numbers are pretty constant. I've looked in the manual and these codes are not listed from what I can tell.

Is this expected behavior or something I should be concerned about? I'm coming from a Hero XI and I don't ever remember my Qcodes changing like this once in Windows, but maybe things are different now.
5 REPLIES 5

Qwinn
Level 11
On AMD, in the latest BIOS revision, the Q Code LED was changed to show CPU temperature. Sounds like the same is true on Intel. There should be a BIOS option that you can set it to show "POST codes only" somewhere.

Qwinn wrote:
On AMD, in the latest BIOS revision, the Q Code LED was changed to show CPU temperature. Sounds like the same is true on Intel. There should be a BIOS option that you can set it to show "POST codes only" somewhere.

Just ran a stress test to confirm, and you were right. I was over here like logging each number 38-45 and looking googling them seeing all kinds of different responses to what they could be. Asus should really make this more clear, as I had no idea and was sitting here dreading trying to figure out what, if anything, was wrong with my new build haha.

Thanks a bunch for the info, to say the least haha.

Greetings, I have the same problem with the Z790-e exactly, what did you do?

It's not a problem, it is intended behaviour.  Q-Codes are only relevant during POST, and don't show anything useful once the OS is running.  The new behaviour makes the display useful by showing CPU temperature after the BIOS hands control to the OS.  If you disable the new behaviour, you will not get any useful diagnostic information from the display while the OS is running, it will just sit on the final Q-Code from POST.

I was looking for a fix myself and finally found one!! Go into BIOS, and under the advanced tab, find onboard device configuration, then under the Q-Code LED function, make sure it is set to POST Code Only. That fixed my problem. Once your computer boots up, it should be an AO in the led, and that means all good. I hope this helps, have a good day.