cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z790-e gaming wifi can't run 7600mhz ddr5 ram at xmp speeds

Xmptroubles
Level 9
So before I returned my 7600mhz 16x2 gskill ram kit, I thought I'd give one more mobo a try and exchanged my z790-e gaming wifi for a new one from newegg.

Brand new mobo, gently installed the cpu and fan, updated bios to 0703, turned xmp I on, disabled Adaptive boost and multicore enhancement, and got a near instant hang in the bios.

Next I reset cmos, set to xmp ii, disabled Adaptive boost and multicore enhancement, set vdd and vddq voltage to 1.42, ran memtest 9.4 from the bios and immediately got 14 errors in under a minute.

Back to xmp I and downclock to 7400mhz. More memtest errors. This is ridiculous.

Asus is selling mobos that cannot run at high ddr5 ram speeds as advertised and listed. It's not user error, it's not bad ram, it's not crushed pins. It's Asus selling bad boards, or their bios needs major work.
31 REPLIES 31

JohnAb
Level 17
Suggest you try updating Intel ME windows drivers and then update Intel ME firmware. Please report back if that works... good luck
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Xmptroubles
Level 9
The z790-e gaming wifi box and manual state 7200+, but asus updated marketing says 7800+. When 7600+ ram was announced, Asus didn't change their hardware, they just updated their online marketing.

Gskill blames the cpu, hiding behind intels 'official' rating of 5600mhz. They also blame the mobo if it's not on their qvl list.

Intel hides behind their official 5600mhz rating. The imc on the cpu can be a silicon lottery bottleneck on ram speeds. Maybe I should try exchanging the cpu next?

Asus is completely silent. They will only listen when mobos are being returned at high rates and costing them money.

Msi is more honest with their ddr5 listing. They separate their maximum speeds by dpc and 1r or 2r. Their z790 top end mobo lists:

Max. overclocking frequency:
• 1DPC 1R Max speed up to 7800+ MHz
• 1DPC 2R Max speed up to 6600+ MHz
• 2DPC 1R Max speed up to 6400+ MHz
• 2DPC 2R Max speed up to 5600+ MHz

Basically explaining that 2x8gb will be able to clock faster than 2x16gb, 4x8gb, or 4x16gb.

16gb ram is usually 2r, so 2x16gb is actually normal to clock up to 6600mhz stable.

Other manufacturers convienently leave out these details. So thank you msi for explaining the problem, and no thank you to gskill and asus for their deceptive bs that wasted my time and effort and forced me to research what was going wrong.

Maybe my next mobo will be msi.

It's a bunch of false marketing claims, then running and hiding or stony silence when users' builds fail. Thankfully returns are a thing.

Xmptroubles wrote:
The z790-e gaming wifi box and manual state 7200+, but asus updated marketing says 7800+. When 7600+ ram was announced, Asus didn't change their hardware, they just updated their online marketing.

Gskill blames the cpu, hiding behind intels 'official' rating of 5600mhz. They also blame the mobo if it's not on their qvl list.

Intel hides behind their official 5600mhz rating. The imc on the cpu can be a silicon lottery bottleneck on ram speeds. Maybe I should try exchanging the cpu next?

Asus is completely silent. They will only listen when mobos are being returned at high rates and costing them money.

Msi is more honest with their ddr5 listing. They separate their maximum speeds by dpc and 1r or 2r. Their z790 top end mobo lists:

Max. overclocking frequency:
• 1DPC 1R Max speed up to 7800+ MHz
• 1DPC 2R Max speed up to 6600+ MHz
• 2DPC 1R Max speed up to 6400+ MHz
• 2DPC 2R Max speed up to 5600+ MHz

Basically explaining that 2x8gb will be able to clock faster than 2x16gb, 4x8gb, or 4x16gb.

16gb ram is usually 2r, so 2x16gb is actually normal to clock up to 6600mhz stable.

Other manufacturers convienently leave out these details. So thank you msi for explaining the problem, and no thank you to gskill and asus for their deceptive bs that wasted my time and effort and forced me to research what was going wrong.

Maybe my next mobo will be msi.

It's a bunch of false marketing claims, then running and hiding or stony silence when users' builds fail. Thankfully returns are a thing.

Is there a reason this post neglects to mention the motherboard QVL, as it’s unclear at this stage if you don’t know it exists or are ignoring it. It’s designed to help avoid precisely what you’re complaining about, also containing kit slot configuration. Can you also cite where overclocking is guaranteed [by any vendor]?

Lastly your assertions regarding ranks is incorrect. High speed kits above 7000MT are mostly SK Hynix a-die. These 16gb modules are single ranked.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98041-Understanding-and-using-XMP
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Is there a reason this post neglects to mention the motherboard QVL, as it’s unclear at this stage if you don’t know it exists or are ignoring it. It’s designed to help avoid precisely what you’re complaining about, also containing kit slot configuration. Can you also cite where overclocking is guaranteed [by any vendor]?

Lastly your assertions regarding ranks is incorrect. High speed kits above 7000MT are mostly SK Hynix a-die. These 16gb modules are single ranked.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98041-Understanding-and-using-XMP

It's common knowledge that the gskill 7600 kit is listed on all the high end Asus boards. The mobo qvl also lists 7800 ram which is ridiculous. The qvl is a joke, and you're being condescending and insulting.

If the kit is 1R, why does it fail to run anywhere close to the xmp profile on this board? Forget 7800, it's a struggle to get 6800-7000 stable.

Links where asus declares 7800+ support for this board despite the board failing to do so: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-e-gaming-wifi-model https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-e-gaming-wifi-model/spec https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z790-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory

I'd love to see someone pass tm5 absolut with gskill 7800 xmp with this board on it's current bios. When I turned on xmp I at 7600 I was getting hard hangs in the bios, let alone getting to run a ram test.

Asus marketing and qvl lists clearly state support for 7600-7800mhz ram for this mobo, and then when it fails, users are met with "Can you also cite where overclocking is guaranteed [by any vendor]?" and insinuations that the user doesn't know what a mobo qvl is.

Hopper64
Level 15
You might try the test bios for your board here:

*https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131027-RaptorLake-Resources

It’s a sticky in this forum. I am testing a Z790Extreme now and using XMP tweaked in the bios. This is a new XMP setting. Another person posted that they had to decrease their SAV to 1.15V for stability on a Z790Hero. I am still testing mine and I can say that decreasing the SAV to 1.15V has enhanced my stability as well on a different board. I am using a GSkill 7600 kit and just testing it for now. It may be worth your time to try the newest beta bios with some minor voltage tweaks.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64 wrote:
You might try the test bios for your board here:

*https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131027-RaptorLake-Resources

It’s a sticky in this forum. I am testing a Z790Extreme now and using XMP tweaked in the bios. This is a new XMP setting. Another person posted that they had to decrease their SAV to 1.15V for stability on a Z790Hero. I am still testing mine and I can say that decreasing the SAV to 1.15V has enhanced my stability as well on a different board. I am using a GSkill 7600 kit and just testing it for now. It may be worth your time to try the newest beta bios with some minor voltage tweaks.

I tried your suggestion to undervolt the system agent to 1.15 with xmp ii, dram vdd/vddq at 1.42, and 7400mhz.

It passed one pass of memtest 9.4 free, but failed tm5 absolut 3 minutes in with 1 error. That's an improvement, but still not stable.

I'm not sure about flashing a beta bios. I don't want it bricking my mobo, and I don't necessarily trust bios flashback.

Nate152
Hello Xmptroubles

I have the ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming Wifi motherboard with Kingston fury beast 16GB 6000MT/s CL40.

Out of the box X.M.P. didn't work for me either, I had to raise five voltages.

VDD - 1.41v
VDDQ - 1.41v
CPU System Agent voltage - 1.35v

Advanced Memory voltages:

IVR Transmitter VDDQ - 1.41v
Memory Controller - 1.35v

After setting these voltages I'm able to overclock my ram to 6200MT/s 34-36-36-40 -2N timings, I set my ram manually rather than using X.M.P.

These ultra high speed memory kits will most likely need a little more voltage. As you mentioned, 32GB will put more strain on the cpu's IMC vs 16GB.

Nate152 wrote:
I have the ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming Wifi motherboard with Kingston fury beast 16GB 6000MT/s CL40.

Out of the box X.M.P. didn't work for me either, I had to raise five voltages.

VDD - 1.41v
VDDQ - 1.41v
CPU System Agent voltage - 1.35v

Advanced Memory voltages:

IVR Transmitter VDDQ - 1.41v
Memory Controller - 1.35v

I've read that it's not safe to run the system agent voltage at 1.35v for long periods of time.

I'm not sure what IVR Transmitter VDDQ is. I see it in the bios but I've never seen a suggestion to change it. Is there another name it goes by?

That's the other thing I hate about ram overclocking. Different names for the same thing.

Hwinfo says my ivr TX vddq is already 1.4v when set to auto.

I'm used to ram listed on the mobo qvl being compatible at xmp speeds. This is a disaster in comparison.

Nate152
1.35v for system agent voltage is the upper safe limit. You can try it there and if it's stable you can reduce the voltage until you find what is needed for stability.

For my motherboard, in the bios at the bottom of the AI Tweaker page there is Advanced Memory voltages, IVR Transmitter VDDQ and Memory Controller voltages are found here.

If you're not familiar with setting your ram manually, try X.M.P. with the voltages I listed above.

IMC VDD = Memory Controller voltage

CPU VCCSA = CPU System Agent voltage

Here is a screenshot of Hwinfo, click the pic to make it bigger.