cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z690 Hero - Thunderbolt PCI root port failing to start every other reboot or so

phantomapollyon
Level 8
I wonder if anyone is seeing this on their z690 hero or if anyone has any idea what could be up with this.

Almost every other reboot the 'Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #5 - 7ABC' fails to start, and this is appears to be linked to having a thunderbolt device/hub plugged in when the machine boots. I do have a Caldigit TB4 hub hooked up full time, though everything has been fine until 2-3 weeks ago. (the hub works fine on other machines) I included a few screenshots for reference and the earliest trace of this issue I can find in Event Viewer is 12/23, right around when I updated to the 2204 BIOS and latest chipset drivers. Another symptom that makes me think this could also be the TB controller on the board failing or something similar is that I'm now noticing that my keyboard/mouse, which are plugged into a TB hub, do not register in the BIOS once it's failed in Windows and when I initially reboot I see the "No keyboard detected" message. (but perhaps this could just be the BIOS misbehaving)

Sometimes but not always I do seem to be able to eliminate the behavior by detaching all TB devices/hubs, shutting down, and rebooting without any TB devices, verifying the error is gone in DM, and then reconnecting everything as it was previously. Once I do that, all TB functionality seems to be working as expected and the Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #5 - 7ABC shows up in Device Manger perfectly normally, no issues. After a few hours/days/reboots the behavior does seem to come back however. (the timing feels fairly random as to when the issues surfaces again)

Note: I am using all the latest BIOS, firmware, chipset drivers, etc. as of today 1/21/2023
6 REPLIES 6

imsuperimposed
Level 7
I have exact same issue on z690 Formula, seems like a few others on other threads have too. I have to completely power down mine at the power supply then tun it back on which goes to bios safe mode. Exit bios and then will work on a restart.Â*

I think what is happening is on boot for some reason the bios disables the thunderbolt controller which is then not available in windows. Then keeps controller disabled till there is a complete power cycle of the motherboard.Â*

Given you’re having the exact issue on Hero and Me on formula this seems like it’s definitely a bios issue.
Â*It’s the most excruciatingly frustrating thing right now.Â*

Have you had any lock with support? Â*

luki12
Level 7
Hello, i have this same problem. I don't know if the problem exist before but now on bios 2204 and the latest drivers (i reinstall windows 11, i have clean instalation) this problem exist. Whan i power on pc, the application Thunderbolt not show any thunderbolt devices and the drivers, and 'Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #5 - 7ABC' fails to start in device manager, when i reboot windows the thunderbolt appear and show. I have Asus Z690I ITX motherboard and intel 13700k.

Angstromboli
Level 9
Is everyone having this issue using a 13th gen intel CPU on a Z690 board? My hub was working perfectly until I upgraded from a 12900K to 13900KS. Now the hub has been having this same issue ever since. I did try installing all the latest drivers from the forum including the UCM drivers.

Strangely, USB 2.0 devices do work when plugged into my TB4 hub, but USB 3.0 devices do not show up at all. Anyone else have the same experience?

JohnAb
Level 17
I'm on a 690 Hero with BIOS 2204 and in Device Manager, Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #5 - 7ABC appears to be working fine, driver version 10.1.37.7. I'm on 12th Gen, so I can't comment on 13th Gen.

I know that doesn't help to solve your problem, but it probably eliminates the BIOS, at least on 690. I was going to suggest a fresh Windows install or to use MoKiChUs Thunderbolt drivers pack (with UCM drivers) but it looks like those things have been tried by luki12. I think also might have read somewhere that turning Thunderbolt support off and on again (after a reboot) in the BIOS might have helped some people. Not sure on the last one, but I think I read it somewhere.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
I'm on a 690 Hero with BIOS 2204 and in Device Manager, Intel(R) PCI Express Root Port #5 - 7ABC appears to be working fine, driver version 10.1.37.7. I'm on 12th Gen, so I can't comment on 13th Gen.

@JohnAb, maybe you should tell them about the power setting which helped the Z790 boards and the WHEA errors related to the PCIe Root Port.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

JohnAb
Level 17
Hi Saltgrass, no problem it might help somebody. These are just ideas I have collected from these forums:

1) Disable PCI Express Native Power Mgt in BIOS (advanced tab, platform misc configuration)
2) Disable Native ASPM (Active State Power Management) (advanced tab, platform misc configuration)
3) Make sure that maximum power savings in Link State Power Management in Windows (Edit Power Plan/ Advanced settings/ PCI Express/ Link State Power Management) are NOT enabled, or only go for moderate power savings

Good luck, hope it helps...
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.