JcGranada
Level 7
asus rog maximus z690 hero
kingston renegade 6400 cl32 (QVL)
intel 13700kf
kfa2 rtx 4080
evga 850w
bios 2204

When I activate xmp, either in 6400 or 6000, the display do not start and the board keeps the white led (vga) on, the system starts because I hear the windows startup sounds but the screens do not show anything so that I I am forced to do a clear cmos
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
JcGranada wrote:
asus rog maximus z690 hero
kingston renegade 6400 cl32 (QVL)
intel 13700kf
kfa2 rtx 4080
evga 850w
bios 2204

When I activate xmp, either in 6400 or 6000, the display do not start and the board keeps the white led (vga) on, the system starts because I hear the windows startup sounds but the screens do not show anything so that I I am forced to do a clear cmos

Hello,

Does the behaviour occur regardless of profile used?

Try XMP Tweaked and XMP II if available.

Also, try cycling the AC (power) for the display whilst the system is booted to see if this helps.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Yes, I already tried all the profiles (xmp1&2, tweaked), also the ram is supposed to be on the QVL list, I tried 2 different module packs from the same manufacturer and also with a different graphics card

JcGranada wrote:
Yes, I already tried all the profiles (xmp1&2, tweaked), also the ram is supposed to be on the QVL list, I tried 2 different module packs from the same manufacturer and also with a different graphics card

Some CPU are quite sensitive to System Agent voltage changes when overclocking, and this rail is responsible for the integrated PCIE controller. you can try adjusting this value after applying XMP and see if the situation improves. For example at 6000MT, try applying 1.35v You may need to try lowering this methodically too.

Set CPU Input Voltage to 1.9v (You will see 1.8v is the default).

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Some CPU are quite sensitive to System Agent voltage changes when overclocking, and this rail is responsible for the integrated PCIE controller. you can try adjusting this value after applying XMP and see if the situation improves. For example at 6000MT, try applying 1.35v You may need to try lowering this methodically too.

Set CPU Input Voltage to 1.9v (You will see 1.8v is the default).

I can still return the board, or return the cpu, I don't know whether to ask for another motherboard to try it or ask for the MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY or AORUS Master, I have to say that my cpu has worked at 6000 and 6400 on other motherboards such as apex(not stable) or msi(stable)

finally I have done the following and I have no VGA error now we will test the stability with aida64 and memtest.

active XMP 2
System agent voltage 0.95
CPU Input Voltage to 1.9v
IVR 1.4
Memory controller voltage 1.3

In any case, it seems nonsense to me to buy a high-end motherboard with a ram memory that is on its QVL list and that does not work with XMP profiles, I have tried 2 z690 motherboards asus apex and hero and with both of them I have had a multitude of problems, I'm thinking of switching to msi or gigabyte

I am having these results, what do you think?

What I don't get to understand how raising voltages could help the cpu not block the pcie express, in case that's it, I don't get to understand what could be the problem with low XMP voltages and I know that other Hero motherboards XMP has worked with this same ram memory, without a doubt DDR5 is very green and especially in asus they have a great job ahead to stabilize this

JcGranada wrote:
In any case, it seems nonsense to me to buy a high-end motherboard with a ram memory that is on its QVL list and that does not work with XMP profiles, I have tried 2 z690 motherboards asus apex and hero and with both of them I have had a multitude of problems, I'm thinking of switching to msi or gigabyte

When running XMP we're running components outside of specification, meaning we are overclocking. XMP is not guaranteed by any memory or motherboard vendor. This is applicable to any form of system overclocking, and it's not possible to accommodate for weak CPU memory controllers for instance.

JcGranada wrote:
What I don't get to understand how raising voltages could help the cpu not block the pcie express, in case that's it, I don't get to understand what could be the problem with low XMP voltages and I know that other Hero motherboards XMP has worked with this same ram memory, without a doubt DDR5 is very green and especially in asus they have a great job ahead to stabilize this

Raising the voltage helped because the overclock was unstable, this is the nature of overclocking. There are a multitude of different reasons why comparing across different systems is often futile, differing ME firmware, differing UEFI revision / auto rules / timings for example. Some of these will be outside the users scope, so the practical approach is often the best one. Tune the system and use what works for you 🙂

I would try lowering tRAS (value 80 in screenshot) if looking to try and dial things in. Although best to test memory stability first.

Here are some past configs I've used on Z690 if you wish to try some of the memory subsets out.

https://imgur.com/a/n9WuFo8

i had the same issue when i installed my 4080... worked fine with my 3090.

What I did was install a cheap 1060 in the 3rd slot and used HDMI to my monitor.

Now, it alternates the boot between the two now... 1st boot boots to the cheap vga, reboot and boom 4080 boots fine... so weird. This happens every time like clockwork, always alternating which card works.