cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows11 crashes and the PC reboots when I enable one of the XMP profiles!

emblitz
Level 7

Hello,

since my english is not so good, i try the google translator. I hope you understand me.

A few days ago I built a new high-end gaming PC. So that the CPU and GPU work well together, I switched from the MSI Z690 to an Asus Z790 mainboard. Unfortunately, the Asus motherboard has more problems than the MSI.
Windows11 crashes after about 20 minutes and the PC reboots when I activate one of the XMP profiles (XMP1 or XMP2 or XMP-Tweak). A benchmark test (Cinebench R23 or 3DMark Time Spy) crashes more quickly than normal use of the PC when playing games.
The MemTest86 also shows various errors when one of the XMP profiles is active.
If no XMP profile is active, the PC runs stably and there are no freezes. MemTest86 does not show any errors when the XMP profile is deactivated.
Unfortunately, the speed is then of course not high because the RAM works in stock clock.

I use the following components.
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI
CPU: Intel 13900K
GPU: PALIT GAME ROCK OC, RTX 4090
DDR5: 2x16GB DDR5-7600 F5-7600J3646G16GX2-TZ5RS
Power supply: 1000W
Windows 11 22H2

I hope you can help me.

Best regards
emblitz

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

7600MT can be tough on a 4 DIMM board.

Increase Memory Controller Voltage [Extreme Tweaker - Advanced Memory Settings] by 30 to 50mV.

Tune CPU System Agent voltage [Extreme Tweaker} Values between 1.25 and 1.35v

Try switching the memory modules positions (so that the one currently most furthest is in the slot closest to the CPU, A2 B2 still).

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

View solution in original post

Hello,

XMP Profile sets the necessary DRAM voltages that the [memory] vendor bins and validates the memory kit for. The motherboard auto rules assign voltages for the CPU System Agent and Memory Controller voltages. 

Whereas the rules try to accommodate for worst-case CPU variance, some samples may be more comfortable at different values than what is applied.

XMP I or XMP Tweaked are likely to offer the best performance. You can evaluate a baseline for memory stabiliy by using Memtest86 from within the UEFI Tools menu.

6.1GHz all-core isn't going to be possible for the majority of 13900K without exotic cooling or an IHS delid. You can use AI OC for which the instructions can be found on the UEFI top bar. You can also navigate to the AI Tweaker menu under Extreme Tweaker to manually check your per-core usage predictions.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

7600MT can be tough on a 4 DIMM board.

Increase Memory Controller Voltage [Extreme Tweaker - Advanced Memory Settings] by 30 to 50mV.

Tune CPU System Agent voltage [Extreme Tweaker} Values between 1.25 and 1.35v

Try switching the memory modules positions (so that the one currently most furthest is in the slot closest to the CPU, A2 B2 still).

Hello,
Thank you for the quick help!
Your tips helped.
The PC now seems to run stably with XMP1.
It's unclear to me why I have to make adjustments to voltages, because that's actually set in the XMP profile.
I have never had this problem with any other PC.

Which XMP profile would you recommend for the highest performance?

The CPU I9-13900K is now still running in stock at 5500Mhz..
Do you also have simple tips for operating on 6100Mhz?

Best regards
emblitz

Hello,

XMP Profile sets the necessary DRAM voltages that the [memory] vendor bins and validates the memory kit for. The motherboard auto rules assign voltages for the CPU System Agent and Memory Controller voltages. 

Whereas the rules try to accommodate for worst-case CPU variance, some samples may be more comfortable at different values than what is applied.

XMP I or XMP Tweaked are likely to offer the best performance. You can evaluate a baseline for memory stabiliy by using Memtest86 from within the UEFI Tools menu.

6.1GHz all-core isn't going to be possible for the majority of 13900K without exotic cooling or an IHS delid. You can use AI OC for which the instructions can be found on the UEFI top bar. You can also navigate to the AI Tweaker menu under Extreme Tweaker to manually check your per-core usage predictions.

sprogis10
Level 8

I have had the same issue.  I think it to be a BIOS CPU speed optimized setting.  I get faster CPU speed with lower RAM speed.

When I use the XMP setting my system hangs on reboot. 

Hello,

It’s a tuning thing, some CPU and kits require adjustment. You can try the suggestions above, however your mileage may vary.