cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF Z690 unable to boot Windows11 after enable Intel Rapid Stage in BIOS

ahfoo
Level 13
Hi,

What the cause for Windows 11 inaccessible boot device msg when booting after enable Intel Rapid Storage in bios. It will loop for few time and go to safe mode. I need to disabled the Intel Rapid Storage in bios. Boot with Acronis and fall back my last good backup image. Any solution for this?

1. Boot drive Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
2. Western D black 6TB as data drive

Please help.
5 REPLIES 5

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

For information, Intel Rapid Storage Technology in your BIOS = RAID mode (this has always been the case, even before Intel 6xx series chipsets).

Except that since Intel 6xx series chipsets, you don't have to enable/switch Intel Rapid Storage Technology manually if you want to mount a RAID, you just have to map under VMD your SATA Controller and/or PCIe SSDs to use RAID mode with SATA/PCIe HDDs/SSDs, this will automatically enable Intel Rapid Storage Technology / RAID mode.

Now for your case it seems to me that you are not looking to mount a RAID, so you need revert your action by disabling Intel Rapid Storage Technology manually then :

- Either leave VMD enabled (default) but your SATA Controller and/or PCIe SSDs should not be mapped under VMD.
- Either disable VMD.

I posted a detailed explanation about what changed since Intel 6xx series chipsets here : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showpost.php?p=855820

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

For information, Intel Rapid Storage Technology in your BIOS = RAID mode (this has always been the case, even before Intel 6xx series chipsets).

Except that since Intel 6xx series chipsets, you don't have to enable/switch Intel Rapid Storage Technology manually if you want to mount a RAID, you just have to map under VMD your SATA Controller and/or PCIe SSDs to use RAID mode with SATA/PCIe HDDs/SSDs, this will automatically enable Intel Rapid Storage Technology / RAID mode.

Now for your case it seems to me that you are not looking to mount a RAID, so you need revert your action by disabling Intel Rapid Storage Technology manually then :

- Either leave VMD enabled (default) but your SATA Controller and/or PCIe SSDs should not be mapped under VMD.
- Either disable VMD.

I posted a detailed explanation about what changed since Intel 6xx series chipsets here : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117609-DRIVERS-Intel-Chipset-MEI-SATA-VMD-(1xx-2xx-3xx-4xx...

Bro, so in another word I just need to disable the Intel Rapid Storage Technology in bios. And leave the VMD by default value or disable the VMD. I have no intention to mount a RAID. Please advice and thank you.

ahfoo wrote:
Bro, so in another word I just need to disable the Intel Rapid Storage Technology in bios. And leave the VMD by default value or disable the VMD. I have no intention to mount a RAID. Please advice and thank you.

Absolutely,

I answered you in a more detailed way because I was not sure of your intentions and why you wanted at all costs to manually enable Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

MoKiChU wrote:
Absolutely,

I answered you in a more detailed way because I was not sure of your intentions and why you wanted at all costs to manually enable Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

Bro, sorry I am not clear with my intention. I am not going at all cost to to to enable the Intel Rapid Storage in the BIOS with no intention at all to set up RAID with this syetem. Just very confused with my previous system prior to the new Z690. I have to admit that I am not able to understand all value for this board bios and some of the setting is quite strange to me. Just wanted to set up the system running stable for my in-law to use. Sorry for the trouble. Currently my BIOS setting for VMD as follow,

Enable VMD Controller- Enable
Map PCIE Storage under VMD- Disable
Map SATA Controller under VMD: Disable

My suggestion would be to implement the Rapid Storage technology and the VMD Controller. Just don't map anything under the VMD controller in the advanced tab. You can do this even after installing the OS as the Z690 bios defaults to allowing raid (IRST enabled and mapping under VMD enabled).

You can run msconfig, change boot to safe mode, disable VMD controller, windows will load the AHCI drivers, go back to bios and enable VMD controller but don't map anything under, go back to normal boot. You can Google this for a more detailed explanation.