cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI D4 -NVME performance issues

Ntinsky
Level 8

Hi everyone

I am using 2 KC3000 NVMEs with my motherboard. The first one which also boots the system up is on slot M 2_1 which is using the CPU lane to my understanding.

The second one which i recently installed, is using slot M 2_3 and i randomly noticed some performance issues when playing games.Issues which i never had when i was using an SSD 2.5 instead of that new NVME

While in game(e.g. Days Gone) graphics stutter as if i had an FPS drop for a second and then fast forward until the motion gets back to normal. This happens randomly and it started the day installed the second NVME.

Is it possible that  the NVME slot might be causing the performance issues? Do you think it might be better if i sacrifice one SATA port and install NVME  to slot M 2_4 instead ???

I am attaching a screenshot of the storage info from the motherboard support  manual in case it helps.

Ktheos_0-1686037521353.png

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

My game files are on the cloned disk  slotted in M2_3(the one i am having issues with ), while the OS is a clean install on another NVME slotted in M2_1.

I think i managed to resolve the issue by enabling Hardware -accelerated GPU scheduling on WIndows and i also added the game executable file of the game with the option of "High Performance" enabled.

I played for over 2 hours without any stutter/lag

Ntinsky_0-1686241061594.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

JohnAb
Level 17

I don't have your board, but I think you should be OK using any of those M.2 slots. Suggest you try a speed test on your drives and see if you are getting Gen 4 speeds. You can download Crystal Disk for free and do the speed checks using that software... the information should be helpful as a first step in finding the cause of your problems. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Both NVMEs are KC3000. The only difference comes about the size. My boot drive is 1TB while the second one i am having problems with, is a 2TB drive. I am also thinking about switch the Auto setting in BIOS to Gen4 for both drives. I will give Crystal Disk a try and come back with the results.

Thank you for your time @JohnAb 

Murph_9000
Level 14

Installing a M.2 NVMe in M.2_4 does not sacrifice a SATA port.  A SATA port is only used on some boards (and from a quick look, I don't think it applies to the TUF Z790-PLUS) if you install a legacy M.2 SATA drive, which is not the same thing as a M.2 NVMe drive.  Functionally, M.2_2, M.2_3, and M.2_4 should be identical with a NVMe drive; they are all NVMe x4 slots via the chipset.

@Murph_9000 wrote:

A SATA port is only used on some boards (and from a quick look, I don't think it applies to the TUF Z790-PLUS) if you install a legacy M.2 SATA drive

That i didn't know to be honest. Still, it remains a mystery why i am facing those lag/stutter issues.I havent tried to run some other game and see if the issue remains. I will come back with an update.

Thank you for your feedback @Murph_9000 

Ntinsky
Level 8

UPDATE

I changed NVME slot link speed from BIOS for m2_1 and m2_3 to Gen4

CrystalDiskMark results for each disk:

M2_1 slot (KC3000 1TB)

CrystalDiskMark_1tb.png

M2_3 slot (KC3000 2TB)

CrystalDiskMark_20230606202816.png

It might be worth rolling back with a system restore. It’s possible changing the drive is a red herring and the issue is elsewhere. It may also be beneficial to record the behaviour to see how the system stutter manifests itself.

You can also check DPC latency with apps such as Latencymon to see if a particular runtime is causing high DPC latency.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Ntinsky
Level 8

It's a brand new system with a fresh OS install that's why i am surprised to see such behavior. The previous disk was a Crucial 2.5" 1TB which i cloned to that new NVME cause i was running out of space. I will check other games as well to see if it behaves the same.

Thank you all for your time and suggestions

JohnAb
Level 17

Well, nothing wrong with your drive speeds, they seem very good, but if you cloned the OS that can cause issues with drive ID information. The old IDs get carried across in Windows and that can cause addressing/response issues I believe.

Could explain stuttering or odd behaviour. I've cloned before and had issues. I'm  not an expert on this, but your problems could be cloning related. In the end I just did a fresh Windows install and everything was fine again. Are your game files on the disk that you cloned by any chance? I might be wrong, just asking...

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

My game files are on the cloned disk  slotted in M2_3(the one i am having issues with ), while the OS is a clean install on another NVME slotted in M2_1.

I think i managed to resolve the issue by enabling Hardware -accelerated GPU scheduling on WIndows and i also added the game executable file of the game with the option of "High Performance" enabled.

I played for over 2 hours without any stutter/lag

Ntinsky_0-1686241061594.png