cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Solved] Unable to use XMP profile after upgrading to AIO cooler

Navitron
Level 7
I ran into a strange problem where after only changing the cooler from a Noctua NH-D15 to a EK-AIO 360. I'm unable to run my memory at XMP settings, it ran fine on XMP fine before for 2 weeks, no other hardware changes besides that. CPU is 12900K, Motherboard is a ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI, Ram Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory (CMK64GX5M2B5200C40).

Is the motherboard somehow managing voltages differently now that it has detected a cooler on the AIO pump header? Or did I have bad luck and the memory just decided to crap out during the CPU cooler change? I have tried upping the voltage from the default 1.25v to 1.30v no luck I'm only able to run DDR5-4000. I've read that higher memory capacities put more strain on the memory controller.

---Solved CPU cooler mounting pressure was the culprit. Backed out the screws a bit and ram stability returned, able to run XMP again.

After racking my brain I knew it had to be related what I did. Only thing I touched was the CPU so that was the most likely culprit. Occam's razor the simplest explanation is usually the right answer.
3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Sounds like a red herring. If you've cut the AC to install the cooler, it's possible the system has retrained the memory so the settings were already somewhat conditional.

What are the symptoms? What stop code are you receiving? (BSOD)
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Solved! The problem was the CPU mounting pressure, backed out the screws a bit and stability with XMP profiles returned.

Navitron wrote:
Solved! The problem was the CPU mounting pressure, backed out the screws a bit and stability with XMP profiles returned.

Ok, yes that will do it 😉
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090