cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutdowns always "unexpected" in Windows 11 with Strix Z690-G

spatula75
Level 7
Newly built system with a pair of Samsung 2TB 980Pros running in an NVMe RAID1. SMART status checks out fine for both drives, and the RAID generally works. Running BIOS v1003 and Intel RST VMD version 19.0.0.1067 under a clean/fresh Windows 11 Pro install.

First noticed this problem because on EVERY startup, the RAID thought it needed to verify again, even after what appeared to be a clean shutdown. But in the event viewer on the next startup, I see these messages:

"The previous system shutdown at 12:48:54 PM on ‎2/‎5/‎2022 was unexpected."

and:

"The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

So it looks like although it appears everything shut down normally, in fact the disk did not sync up cleanly during shutdown. I suspect some kind of timing issue, like power to the board is getting dropped before the RAID is done flushing to the disks and the disks finish flushing cache to permanent storage.

I've tried disabling Fast Boot to see if that might help, but no luck there.

What else should I be checking? I'm about to give a reboot (with no power off) a try to see if the behavior is any different.
0 REPLIES 0