cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus Z790 Hero sometimes takes forever to shutdown

Oak-Leaves
Level 7

Rarely when I shutdown my PC (I don't use fast start-up in Windows so it's a full shutdown every time) the PC stay ON for 2-3 minutes after Windows is OFF (monitors are shutdown). It's like when you boot you PC for the first time when the memory training is being done but now it's at the shutdown. What is happening it's the fist time I see that for a PC? Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNtOkaPTWoc

If it helps here are my specs:

• Windows 11 Pro
  • ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero (updated to latest BIOS)
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000 (2 sticks of 32 GB)
  • Intel Core i9-13900K
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hi,

Could be any number of things. If Fast Start-up is disabled, try the following:

1. Launch Registry Editor with administrative rights.
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Session Manager > Memory Management.
  3. In the right pane, locate and open ClearPageFileAtShutdown. If Value data is 1, it’s enabled and may delay the shutdown process.
  4. Change Value data to 0 and click OK. The change will take place after you restart your system.

Have you tried disconnecting all devices attached to the rear I/O and seeing if this improves the situation?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JohnAb
Level 17

I've seen the same behaviour on various installs of Windows - it just happens some of the time. Hopefully Silent Scone's tips will help, but it's nothing to worry about. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Oak-Leaves
Level 7

Nah Fast Start-up is NOT enabled. Again this is quite rare... Haven't happened in a month now... I saw that there is a new BIOS version. Maybe it will help.

curious as I have a 790 with Win 10 that will exhibit the same behavior if the wired LAN card doesn't work (it seems to work intermittent) like the driver gets stuck in a certain state. At that point, you can't successfully diagnose or disable the adapter and it will then take a long time to shutdown. Until I saw this post, I thought it was hung then I just let it go and it took minutes to shutdown.
But if the wired LAn adapter works properly, I don't have that issue.

I'm indeed only using the wired LAN, but never had any LAN issue so far so I guess we don't have the same issue.