cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q-Fan Control doesn't stop chassis fans in PWM mode

pavel_rad
Level 7
Hi.

I'm using TUF GAMING H770-PRO WIFI MB, and UEFI Q-Fan Control doesn't show an option to stop chassis fans in PWM mode but allows me to do this in DC mode. Is this restriction intended or a bug? Fan Xpert4 within the Armoury Crate allows to enable "Auto-Fan Stop", but only when "Extreme Quiet Mode" is enabled. This works fine, so it's not a hardware restriction. I want to set up the fan-controlling logic within the BIOS, without installing Armoury Crate with all its components.

Thank you in advance for any help.

P.S. I'm using the latest available BIOS version 0810.
2 REPLIES 2

JohnAb
Level 17
In BIOS, Q-Fan seems to work for me in both modes (PWM and DC) although they were both set to auto-detect when I first looked. I have two small fans connected directly to my motherboard and those are the ones I can control with Q-Fan, not ones that are connected via a USB fan controller. My fans have 3 wires each, rather than 4 wires like some.

If you can't get Q-Fan to work as you want and you'd like to avoid Armoury Crate, then you might try this free Windows software - I have no need to use it, but people say it's very good... it runs fine as a portable install, just from its own folder. If you don't like it, the you can easily remove it fully.

https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

Just to say, I like Armoury Crate. For fans directly connected to the motherboard it works well. You also get the benefit of being able to see what driver versions you have installed, which simplifies driver updates.

Edit: I don't think I got the 'stop-fan' option either in PWM mode, but I could lower the fan curve to zero. To be fair I didn't look inside the case to check if they really had stopped, but I'm sure everything is working well for me as I can hear them at max speed. I'm not going back into the BIOS again now, but I think what you see is normal. I want my small fans on all the time at 50% anyway as I use them to cool my chipset, then I ramp them up to 100% above 55C in Armoury Crate (which is all the time, lol).
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb
Level 17
I just had to reboot, so I looked again at Q-Fan. I was correct, I don't get the stop fan option in PWM mode either. So I think that's just the way it is, you don't seem to have a bug.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.