Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proart Z790 creator

ASAD
Level 7

Ok so here is the story bought Proart Z790 creator

with it 2 pack of G.Skill 64GB 6400 trident Z5, total 128GB

IMG_4732.jpeg

the issue is that the 4 sticks will not work using XMP!

if I put any 2 stick and enable XMP will work but when I put all 4 using XMP I will get the orange light on the board

IMG_4736.jpeg

if I use the same 4 stick at default 4800 the pc will load with no problem.

In the Bios it only shows XMP1 and XMP2 no XMP3 

IMG_4737.jpeg

I used the Memtest86 and  it did not give me any error.

So what I am doing wrong?

please help.

10 REPLIES 10

sprogis10
Level 8

I think you are doing nothing wrong. I just build a PC with the same motherboard and tried three different kits of ram.

With the same issue you have.  Asus needs to put out a BIOS update.   And or if you look carefully the BIOS has optimized CPU clock settings giving you faster CPU speed at lower ram speed.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

It is not recommended to combine or mix memory kits. The kits are binned and validated in the density in which they are sold in.

Are you able to use one kit successfully?

There is no XMP 3 profile, you are referring to Intel’s XMP 3.0 which all XMP DDR5 kits are validated for.

ASUS XMP I is the validated board profile that you will have seen on past generations. Every time a board is validated, this profile is the one used by the memory vendor and ASUS.

There is now the option to use the DIMM profile which is XMP II. These settings are not validated, so mileage will vary depending on the kit and CPU.

XMP I - Board optimised timings

XMP II - Default XMP timings

Often, XMP II timings will be slightly looser depending on the memory kit. If you check within the UEFI or memtweakit, you'll see a difference in memory subsets.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

pndiode
Level 11

You are not doing anything wrong. Your memory meets the specifications for that motherboard to support 4 x DIMM, but ASUS Memory QVL tells you otherwise.

BIOS update required.

ASUS false advertising, but ASUS tells you to check their Memory QVL list.

4xDIMM.jpg

Truth In Advertising | Federal Trade Commission (ftc.gov)

I would strongly suggest you read any one of these articles.

https://www.gskill.com/faq/1502180912/DRAM-Memory

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/8670306985613-Can-I-mix-CORSAIR-memory-kits-

https://www.crucial.com/blog/memory/mix-and-match-dram

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/intel-700-600-series/don-t-combine-memory-kits-the-meat-and-potatoes-o...

GSKILL:

We do not recommend mixing memory kits, regardless of brand or model.

By mixing memory kits together, there may be compatibility issues such as unable to boot or unable to operate at rated specifications.

Each of our memory kit are thoroughly tested to ensure compatibility within each memory kit. And because we have not tested our memory kit with your existing memory kit, we cannot guarantee compatibility when multiple kits are used.

Please also note that the G.SKILL QVL applies to single kit compatibility only, so mixing two or more of the same memory kit is not recommended.

Good reading. Let’s point the finger further. The maximum supported RAM frequency of an Intel I9-13900K is officially 5600MHZ.

Intel Core i9-13900K Review | PCMag

@pndiode wrote:

Good reading. Let’s point the finger further. The maximum supported RAM frequency of an Intel I9-13900K is officially 5600MHZ.

Intel Core i9-13900K Review | PCMag

It has nothing to do with pointing fingers and everything to do with not mixing or combining kits. You’d need to do some deeper reading and look for what Intel supports for maximum frequency with 4x dual rank modules.

https://download.intel.com/newsroom/2022/2022innovation/13th-Gen-Intel-Core-Desktop-Media-presentati...

Silent_Scone_0-1686721190445.png

Some more reading:

Intel_13th_DDR5.png

Beyond the above graph constitutes an overclock, for which no vendor can guarantee results.

https://www.gskill.com/community/1584933243/1646978599/About-Memory-Overclocking

PC memory is also controlled by the IMC (integrated memory controller) within the CPU, so the CPU IMC also needs to be strong enough to support the overclocked speed of the memory, and not all IMC of the same CPU model are equal in strength. So some extremely high speed memory kits are designed for extreme overclockers, which requires CPUs with strong IMC and overclock-oriented motherboards to be able to run at the rated specification.

ASAD
Level 7

Hello everyone and thank you for writing and to try to help me with the problem, the issue here is the motherboard Proart Z790 creator, after reaching out to Gskill and Asus support we noticed something sad.

What it means is that the motherboard can only handle a maximum of 2 sticks of that memory at that speed, and needed to be on Socket 1 and 2 for it to works as expected.

I am not sure if it's a Bios issue or that the motherboard cannot run more than 2 at that speed. Asus Stick.png

So when I was putting all 4 sticks into the motherboard and restarting the PC a few times, the bios recognized those 4 Sticks and loaded windows, but they only work using the basic 4800Mhz speed but recognized all 128GB of ram.

After thinking a lot about it I decided to run 128GB at default speed and hope in the future Asus will update the Bios to handle 4 sticks at 6400Mhz.
What's better 2 - 32GB sticks at 6400Mhz or 4 - 32GB sticks at 4800Mhz?
lol that's sucks but no other way around it.

So here you go guys, the motherboard was not bad! the Ram was not Bad! its just the ****** Bios that cannot take more that 2 sticks.

@ASAD wrote:

Hello everyone and thank you for writing and to try to help me with the problem, the issue here is the motherboard Proart Z790 creator, after reaching out to Gskill and Asus support we noticed something sad.

What it means is that the motherboard can only handle a maximum of 2 sticks of that memory at that speed, and needed to be on Socket 1 and 2 for it to works as expected.

I am not sure if it's a Bios issue or that the motherboard cannot run more than 2 at that speed. Asus Stick.png

So when I was putting all 4 sticks into the motherboard and restarting the PC a few times, the bios recognized those 4 Sticks and loaded windows, but they only work using the basic 4800Mhz speed but recognized all 128GB of ram.

After thinking a lot about it I decided to run 128GB at default speed and hope in the future Asus will update the Bios to handle 4 sticks at 6400Mhz.
What's better 2 - 32GB sticks at 6400Mhz or 4 - 32GB sticks at 4800Mhz?
lol that's sucks but no other way around it.

So here you go guys, the motherboard was not bad! the Ram was not Bad! its just the ****** Bios that cannot take more that 2 sticks.

Hello, perhaps if you look for a kit validated at 6400MT with 4x32GB you will have more luck. Only you won’t find one, because this configuration isn’t possible on this platform due to memory controller limits. What would be more beneficial to everyone would be to disclose what part you perhaps disagree with, or why you're still assuming this is a BIOS issue.

Tuning the kit manually is possible, however when combining in this way you will need to determine stability on your own. Once we combine kits, the frequency, voltage and timings binned by the memory vendor are no longer valid.

This configuration isn’t possible on this platform due to memory controller limits. Look for what Intel supports for maximum frequency with 4x dual rank modules. But ASUS states one can support 4 x DIMM, Max 192GB, DDR5.