cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PRIME B660M-A WIFI D4 SATA problem: HDD no longer detected in BIOS

JanVerschaeren
Level 7

Hello,

I have a relatively new computer since 3 months, the relevant components are an Asus Prime B660M-A WIFI D4 motherboard; SAMSUNG 1TB M.2 980 SSD and Western Digital Blue SATAIII 1TB HDD.

Before this week my new computer was working fine for 3 months. Suddenly the HDD is no longer detected. The SSD is still fine. Actually, everything is still fine apart from the HDD not being detected (Not in windows not in BIOS). From one day to another it just stopped detecting the HDD. Computer didn't move, wasn't opened, BIOS settings didn't change, ... etc. 

I tried debugging this already by doing the following:

1. Same HDD into different motherboard using the same cable: Works
  2. Different HDD into same motherboard: Doesn't work
  3. Same HDD into same motherboard using different (new) SATA cable: Doens't work
  4. Same HDD into same motherboard checking all SATA ports: doesn't work
  5. Updated BIOS firmware to latest version + redoing above steps, same results

This confirms that the HDD and Cables are still working. But GPU, CPU, RAM, SSD are all still working fine: I can run Windows like nothing is wrong. Which makes me think it might not be the fault of motherboard either.

How can I perhaps monitor error messages to see if the connections on the SATA ports are detected?

Or if anyone has another solution or ways to debug this, feel free to help.

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2

JohnAb
Level 17

So in Windows, none of the SATA ports are working? Think I'd begin by seeing if the drive appears in the BIOS. For example, can you see it in the boot priority order? You should also see it if you go to simple BIOS mode. 

If it's there then it will probably be a Windows/drivers issue I think. No idea why it has stopped working. Did you install or update anything?

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2406.5.5.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JanVerschaeren
Level 7

Nope, nothing showing up in the BIOS.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, so I noticed the problem in Windows first, then during debugging I was actually using the BIOS (testing HDD, SATA cables, SATA ports, etc ... )

I did not install any manual updates or driver stuff. And as far as I know, no automatic Windows updates happened since the last time the HDD was working.