cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help! Frequent Crashes! ASUS Maximus z690 Formula

Tschwifty
Level 7
HelIo,
I had made a post awhile back about frequent crashes, thankfully @STARRAIN helped me out, much appreciated btw.
That issue was since fixed, I swapped my SSD to a different port and all was good for quite some time. Roughly about 2-4 months ago I started experiencing WHEA 17 error code floods and was getting freezing, blank screen crashes, complete reboots, and the occasional blue screen. This happens randomly, even When I'm not gaming but mostly when I do game. I primarily play Rust, Civ 6, and MW2. It will even happen around 20 minutes to an hour of watching Youtube videos or on the desktop screen. When I observe the "Reliability History" I was getting LiveKernalEvent codes 141 & 117. I've done numerous amounts of research on others having similar issues but not exactly the same and have tried several different "fixes" as listed... All drivers are updated, memory test have been performed with no issues, multiple software benchmarks on my GPU, CPU, and no issues have arisen, used AI overclock in BIOS and default settings, undervolted CPU, underclocked GPU, disabled PCIe Native Power Management as suggested to rid the WHEA 17 error code (Made things worse), swapped AIOs (MSI was defective, bought ENERMAX off Amazon and out performs, was thermal throttling past 100C), and tried different versions of BIOS. I'm unable to afford to purchase a new GPU or CPU but if I absolutely must it will not be another Intel or ASUS product as I've only used Gigabyte and AMD in the past with zero issues. Here are my full PC build specs as listed,
MOBO: ASUS Maximus Z690 Formula
GPU: Nvidia EVGA RTX 3080 TI
CPU: Intel I9 12900K
AIO: Enermax Liqmax III 360
Memory: G Skillz Trident DDR5 6000 x2 16GB
SSD: Seagate Firecuda 530 M2 2280 2TB
PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000 1000w 80+
Monitor: Asus ROG Strix 34" Ultra Wide XG349C
BIOS Version: 2103
If any other information is required please ask. I'm overly desperate at this point and really just want my PC to work correctly.
Thank you in advance,
Tschwifty
3 REPLIES 3

JohnAb
Level 17
I had a very similar situation with my previous Z390 Gigabyte build. I spent months trying to sort out the problem, every combination of software, drivers, BIOS settings, updates etc etc. I even compiled a very comprehensive spreadsheet of every change I made. I would get 2-3 bluescreen crashes daily for no apparent reason at times. I even replaced the PSU to eliminate bad voltages but that didn't help either. I can't comment on WHEA errors as I wasn't looking for them at the time. But yes, like you I could stress test the system and it would usually pass. My keyboard and mouse would also become unresponsive occasionally, so I changed those too and purchased a new external USB hub.

Anyway, turned out that I had a faulty USB cable connected to an external device (which happened to be a software controlled radio board|). So, I suggest that you plug in just the minimum number of devices and try different cables where you can. No idea if that will help, but worth a try I think. Also, have you checked EVERY cable and internal connection to the PSU and motherboard?

Last idea for now, have you reinstalled Windows and/or reformatted that SSD drive?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

Good morning/afternoon JohnAb.
EDIT: After having my PC on for about an hour and playing games after for 20 minutes my PC for rebooted. I'm going to try a fresh Windows install before reformatting my SSD and get back with results.
EDIT2: Reformatted my SSD and performed a clean install of Windows 11 and my reboots are still appearing. They happened twice during reinstallation of my drivers...Main issue I'm seeing is a Critical Event in the Event Viewer that states:
Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffff8187f1bea460
Parameter 2: fffff805838aa9c4
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_22621
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.22621.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Thank you for responding. Last night I went through and checked all internal connections and plugged in the least amount of USB connections. I do have an RGB/Front case header device that came with the case, CoolerMaster Cosmos 700p. I'll have to see what I can do about trying to unplug it from my system and see how everything performs. I did move my mouse and keyboard connection around to see if that could possibly be the issue too. Curious about the reinstalling Window, I just recently upgraded to Windows 11 which has decreased the amount of reboots, freezes, and blue screens. Would I have to perform a complete uninstall of Windows and then reformat my SSD?
Thanks in Advance,
Tschwifty

DTA1987
Level 7

i have same issue for year!!!!! did u sort this?