Boxerdad
Level 7
I've built two systems configured as follows:

Asus PRIME Z690-A motherboard
I9-12900K (system 1)
I7-12700K (system 2)

XPG Lancer DDR5 2x 16GB modules (both Systems
Running 5200 XMP 1

Sabrent 4tb Rocket Q4 NVME M.2 drive (system 1)
Samsung,980 PRO 2TB NVME M.2 drive (system 2)

On-board Intel graphics (both systems)

Win 11 pro (both systems)

Both systems running latest BIOS 1403

Intended purpose of both systems is real-time audio processing (DAW application)

No overclocking other than memory XMP Have disabled the following MB CPU features:

Turbo Mode
Turbo Boost
Speed Stepping

Disabled the following WIN 11 features:
Changed power management such that the system never goes to sleep, never suspends, never turns off display,

Using Latency Monitor software I notice that there are some very high Interrupt to process times (in excess of 20000 uS)
which will render the system useless for real-time audio processing. The spikes occur within 10 first minutes of starting the system. After 10 minutes or so of running the system will stay relatively stable with low interrupt to service execution times however, these spikes still occur albeit not very often after the initial 10 minutes of running.

I'm hoping for a new BIOS release which may help this problem. When is the next BIOS release due? Anybody else have any suggestions as to how to eliminate the high Interrupt to service execution time spikes?
3 REPLIES 3

funkyd
Level 7
I also have a Prime Z690-A with an I9-12900K... primarily a gaming machine, but I always build my machines with recording in mind since I've done a lot of DAW work in the past. I've done some limited testing with my UAD Apollo and some old projects in Cubase 11 and was able to run at low buffer settings without any issues (Cubase 12 seems to be running into buffering issues across platforms, so waiting for the dust to settle there). LatencyMon is usually hovering around 100-400uS, but my highest DPC routine execution did jump to ~3500uS as I test it right now. Still, that is a far cry from 20000uS, and I have a few gigs worth of unneeded processes running.

What file is causing the LatencyMon spikes? In the past, I've always found that spikes were caused by drivers... Be sure to update to all of the latest drivers that MoKiChU provides in these forums, if you haven't already. Since you are running NVME drives, you can disabled the VMD controller and everything else SATA related in the BIOS. Beyond that, you may want to try disabling the onboard ethernet and Realtek audio to see if you can narrow things down further.

I can PM you my BIOS settings as well if you'd like to compare, although I don't do anything special other than disabling unneeded devices. Windows 11 is also at default power settings, other than disabling sleep or power savings on hard drives, ethernet, USB devices, and other devices I want to stay awake such as my Thunderbolt controller.

Hope this is helpful!

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Boxerdad wrote:

I9-12900K (system 1)
I7-12700K (system 2)

Running 5200 XMP 1

Intended purpose of both systems is real-time audio processing (DAW application)

No overclocking other than memory XMP Have disabled the following MB CPU features:

Turbo Mode
Turbo Boost
Speed Stepping

Changed power management such that the system never goes to sleep, never suspends, never turns off display,

Using Latency Monitor software I notice that there are some very high Interrupt to process times (in excess of 20000 uS)
which will render the system useless for real-time audio processing. The spikes occur within 10 first minutes of starting the system. After 10 minutes or so of running the system will stay relatively stable with low interrupt to service execution times however, these spikes still occur albeit not very often after the initial 10 minutes of running.

I'm hoping for a new BIOS release which may help this problem. When is the next BIOS release due? Anybody else have any suggestions as to how to eliminate the high Interrupt to service execution time spikes?

Hello,

Have you tried without XMP? Troubleshooting 101 is to remove any overclocking. XMP very much falls into this category.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

phatmonkey
Level 9
Boxerdad wrote:

I9-12900K (system 1)
I7-12700K (system 2)

Running 5200 XMP 1

Turbo Mode
Turbo Boost
Speed Stepping

Hi there, I reported the Alder Lake 12900k issues some months ago with Steinberg, originally they were going to have a team meeting to which I was invited to demonstrate the issues but at that time my father past, they have since invested in the 12900k and have repeated my results being that Cubase sometimes uses the E-Cores before P-Cores, you might see massive spikes during some sessions and not in others.

There are two ways around this, one which is not so practical means u will have to disable the E-cores in the BIOS and the problem goes away, or my way and that is to load a cubase session, then engage Bitsum Lasso at highest setting which also works. There is also a 3rd way but it only works some of the time, if you are using control room , disable audio outputs then re-enable again, I know sounds strange, but it sometimes works.

I do get progress reports from time to time, I suggested they should contact Intel on the matter due to other APPS having problems in the past to which they replied they have contacted Intel and will have to implement the applicable API to deal with the architecture. My last communication with Steinberg was 20 days ago.

With all that said the fix could be a while,
Peace
Ryan

PS I do recommend u also report the problem with Steinberg so the problem climbs the priority list, more people having problems the better, well you know what I mean...
Windows 11 | Rog Maximus Z690 Hero | i9-14900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz 64GB | MSI 4090 SUPRIM X | Apollo x16 | Quantum 2626 | ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ | H150i RGB Pro XT | AX1200i | Dark Core Pro SE | K100 RGB