cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Z690 motherboard: DDR5 XMP does not work at all, and very slow black screen boot

illusionist
Level 7
Hello,

I built a brand new premium and expensive PC. I have issues with my Asus motherboard. I am very disappointed, do you have any advice? Maybe I need wait for a BIOS update? Should I send back the motherboard?

Intel Core i9-12900KF
NZXT Kraken X73 RGB 360mm
ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
ASUS GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB DDR6X OC
Kingston FURY 64GB 4 x 16GB DDR5 6000 Mhz (2x KF560C40BBK2-32)
Samsung 980 PRO with Heatsink 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD (MZ-V8P1T0CW)
Corsair HX1200, 80 PLUS Platinum
Corsair 5000D case

In my case, there are 10 fans (3 for the watercooler) The speed of the fans was set up by 2 controllers, so the motherboard sees 2 fans only. The water pump is controlled in Windows by the Kraken software. I upgraded to the latest BIOS: 1720.

I do not see "Fast boot" in the BIOS, UEFI boot is active if I turn it off I do not see the difference. I turned off the BIOS logo. My issue is that there is a black screen and 20 seconds when the BIOS screen appears. Is this normal for this fast PC?

I upgraded the firmware of GPU and nothing changed.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5233/~/nvidia-gpu-firmware-update-tool-for-displ...

The boot is super slow, circa 20-second black screen then BIOS logo appears, then Windows starts. (My old PC is much faster, almost immediately I can see the BIOS screen: i7-4790K + Asus Z97 gamer pro + 32GB DDR XMP + Corsair H80i)

In general, I turn off the electricity after when I turn off my PC. So when I turn back the electricity and when I start the PC my fans are very loud during that 20-second black screen, they became quiet when the BIOS logo appears, is this normal that the sound of my PC is like a hoover at the first start after turn on the PSU?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ObcmZhFg0
With motherboard numbers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qL56_UD7a8

If I did not turn off the electricity, then the boot is the same slow, 20-second black screen until the BIOS logo, just the fans are quiet and not loud at this time. Why is the difference? Is this normal? (My old PC has fans and I did not recognize this kind of difference)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx9G9_a3IQs
With motherboard numbers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNIS5vT7E8U

We can see I have the latest BIOS. In the BIOS the "Graphis configuration" is missing, is this normal? I thought maybe I can change some PCI boot priority here, I have KF CPU, which does not have GPU, but I do not think that menu should missing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7cwapxl6bo

XMP does not work at all!!! I tried XMP1/XMP2, but the PC is unable to booting.

According to the official description of the motherboard memory is supported up to 6400 MHz and "Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)"
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-e-gaming-wifi-model/spec/
My memory is on the supported list: KF560C40BBK2-32
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

I deliberately bought an expensive 64GB DDR5 6000 MHz memory, it is a big disappointment that XMP does not work at all. So my memory is working on default 4800 Mhz. Here is a longer video of what happens if I try to set up XMP.
After my PC is unable to boot, I think it starts an infinity boot cycle, after 6 minutes I turned off my PC (but if I turn it off after 1 minute the situation is the same). If I turn back again, very slowly I can see again the BIOS logo with the error message: "safe mode", then in the BIOS I set back XMP to "auto" as it was the default. After that Windows is unable to launch anymore, sometimes Windows launched but I got a blue screen and automatically restart, then a blue screen again... I can break this cycle when I reset the BIOS (by a button in the back) or I saved the good working default BIOS settings in a USB stick, then I load back my BIOS settings. In the video we can see, interesting, I did not change anything but Windows works again with my saved settings. This setting is just the default BIOS and fan speed settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5XDN_UmrhY
38 REPLIES 38

ahfoo
Level 13
You have bought (2X16GB) pair for two pair to occupied 4 RAM slot. Two different pair of same model RAM do not always work charm in the system. Tried setting just one pair (in a single package and do not mixed up the RAM) in the slot 2 and slot for of your motherboard. Boot your system and go to bios and set XMP 1 to see if it boot up as normal.

Braegnok
Level 14
illusionist wrote:
Hello,

I built a brand new premium and expensive PC. I have issues with my Asus motherboard. I am very disappointed, do you have any advice? Maybe I need wait for a BIOS update? Should I send back the motherboard?

Intel Core i9-12900KF
NZXT Kraken X73 RGB 360mm
ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
ASUS GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB DDR6X OC
Kingston FURY 64GB 4 x 16GB DDR5 6000 Mhz (2x KF560C40BBK2-32)
Samsung 980 PRO with Heatsink 1TB M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD (MZ-V8P1T0CW)
Corsair HX1200, 80 PLUS Platinum
Corsair 5000D case

According to the official description of the motherboard memory is supported up to 6400 MHz and "Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)"
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-e-gaming-wifi-model/spec/
My memory is on the supported list: KF560C40BBK2-32
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z690-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

I deliberately bought an expensive 64GB DDR5 6000 MHz memory, it is a big disappointment that XMP does not work at all. So my memory is working on default 4800 Mhz.

OP,.. please read the memory QVL link you provided above. And please show me a screenshot of the expensive 64GB 6000 MHz kit in your QVL.

There is no 4x16GB 6000MHz kit listed in your QVL, your motherboard does not support 4x16 at 6000MHz.

Mix matching two kits that are listed is not how it works.

Check the far right in your QVL,.. under Socket Support when you see "1, 2" that is DIMMs/Modules supported.

This is QVL page for your KF560C40BBK-32 6000MHz kit,..

You can see the QVL Socket Support clearly shows 1, 2 DIMMs supported for your motherboard.

My advice would be,.. please read your QVL correctly beforehand, avoid being disappointed.

Thanks for the answer! What is your explanation for the slow 20second black screen boot time before the BIOS logo? Is this normal? Or the ram caused it?

I see the motherboard supports RAM up to 128GB, I need 64GB, I do not see 4x16 combinations in that support list, and I can see maximum 2x32 combinations, and only the G.Skill is 6000mhz there. This means, does nobody can put 128GB memory in that motherboard? What if somebody wants to put 128GB there? Impossible?

Do you think it could be a problem to add an extra 2x (2x16GB supported ram) of the exact same kit? How possible that the same motherboard supports 2x16GB but does not support 2x (2x16GB)? How possible that my PC work with 4x16GB memory in 4800Mhz if this 4x16GB combination is not supported? Or only the XMP is not supported for this combination? What is to reason that the motherboard have 4 slots?
What should I do with this expensive ram if I cannot use?
What is to reason to have 4 ram slots on the motherboard if nobody can put 4 ram modules there? I thought Asus is premium stuff. This was an expensive motherboard.

Anyway, I will try to remove 1kit and try the XMP with that.

illusionist wrote:
Thanks for the answer! What is your explanation for the slow 20second black screen boot time before the BIOS logo? Is this normal? Or the ram caused it?

I see the motherboard supports RAM up to 128GB, I need 64GB, I do not see 4x16 combinations in that support list, and I can see maximum 2x32 combinations, and only the G.Skill is 6000mhz there. This means, does nobody can put 128GB memory in that motherboard? What if somebody wants to put 128GB there? Impossible?

Do you think it could be a problem to add an extra 2x (2x16GB supported ram) of the exact same kit? How possible that the same motherboard supports 2x16GB but does not support 2x (2x16GB)? How possible that my PC work with 4x16GB memory in 4800Mhz if this 4x16GB combination is not supported? Or only the XMP is not supported for this combination? What is to reason that the motherboard have 4 slots?
What should I do with this expensive ram if I cannot use?
What is to reason to have 4 ram slots on the motherboard if nobody can put 4 ram modules there? I thought Asus is premium stuff. This was an expensive motherboard.

Anyway, I will try to remove 1kit and try the XMP with that.

Yes, technically the board support 128GB RAM. But unless your 64 RAM kit came from a same package, meaning 4X16GB in quad pair with a single package. Two identical model of RAM does not mean they are from the same production line. And therefor it will not guarantee it will work well. To be honest, to tame two stick of DDR 5 ram already give some user issue, four stick will will make it worse like your scenario. That my point.

Do you have any explanation, how possible that the same 4x16GB RAM works in 4800Mhz?

Do you have any explanation for the slow boot? Other PC with the same motherboard has the same slow boot time? 20 second black screen before BIOS screen? Did you see my linked video what I captured? You can see the motherboard show me many numbers during the boot.

illusionist wrote:
Do you have any explanation, how possible that the same 4x16GB RAM works in 4800Mhz?

Do you have any explanation for the slow boot? Other PC with the same motherboard has the same slow boot time? 20 second black screen before BIOS screen? Did you see my linked video what I captured? You can see the motherboard show me many numbers during the boot.

Intel spec for DDR5 is 4000MHz when running 2-DIMMs per channel in a 4-slot configuration with single rank modules.

Basically if your running full-slots,.. that would be 2-DIMMs per channel with your 4-slot motherboard.

Running full-slots currently Intel spec is 4000MHz. So most likely the 20 second black screen is due to instability.

The motherboard showing you many numbers during the boot,.. is your system training the memory, trying to stabilize your memory.

Your system is not going to be stable running 4-DIMMs at 4800MHz plug & play,..

your options are,..

Pull two DIMMs and run 2x16GB.

Manually adjust settings/voltages for stable system running 4x16 at 4800.

Lower frequency to 4000MHz and run 4x16 at 4000.

I ran a memtest I got this result, no XMP, 4800Mhz
Do you think the XMP could break this, or this was bad quality already? Or if I run the test only with 2x16GB the result will be different?

illusionist wrote:
I ran a memtest I got this result, no XMP, 4800Mhz
Do you think the XMP could break this, or this was bad quality already? Or if I run the test only with 2x16GB the result will be different?

Just do yourself a favor by running just 2 stick of your ram in pair of your purchased and tried it out. Dont keep trying 64GB. Let solved one thing at a time mate.

Hello,

I have put only 1 Ram module (16GB) to the DIMM_B2, Memtest was OK, and XMP1/XMP2 was working! (even in Windows I checked with HWinfo)
The boot time was about 5 second faster, I mean the time of the black screen was 5 second slower, before the BIOS logo appears, also the light of my keyboard (numlock) appears when I see the BIOS logo during the time of the black screen.

Then I have put the same Ram module (16GB) to DIMM_B1, Memtest was OK, but XMP1/XMP2 was not working, after a very slow boot and black screen I got the BIOS safe mode screen

Can I assume the DIMM-B1 slot is broken in my motherboard? If the memory was working in the DIMM_B2 slot?
Anyway I try now the other two slots.