cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MEI Firmware update

DosKeeper
Level 8

Greetings!

I’m new to ASUS forums and I’m happy to be here among the tech savvy people! My new rig is powered by Z790 Apex and after finishing the build, I have updated the bios to version 0812. However, I’ve forgotten to update the MEI driver and MEI firmware, therefore my MEI driver version is at 2204.2.62.0 (seems really old) and firmware at 16.1.25.1917. I’ve found out recently that you’re supposed to update MEI definitions before doing the BIOS update, but unfortunately that part ended up being overlooked. I want to update the MEI definitions now, but I would like to ask some questions first to ensure everything goes well. I know this has been covered before, but I’m still confused.

1. The Apex has a dual bios, so am I right to assume that updating MEI firmware only affects the current bios?
  2. Should I disable XMP before updating the firmware?
  3. I am instructed to update the firmware to version 16.1.25.2020 for the 0812 bios. Should I use the latest MEI drivers (V2240.3.4.0(SW 2242.3.34.0)) or an older version (V2220.3.1.0(Package V2225.3.9.0))?
  4. Is the Chipset Software Installation Utility independent from MEI? What does it do exactly?
  5. I believe I should first install MEI drivers, then firmware and lastly the chipset utility, right? Speaking about the latter, how can I check what version I’m running now?

I’m not new to building and setting up computers, but this new process made me really confused. Would really love to hear input from John!

Thank you in advance!

7 REPLIES 7

Hopper64
Level 15

1. Right. FW update affects on the bios you are currently on. If you want to do both you have to switch to the second bios.

2.Clear the CMOS before updating. I usually unplug the PC from the wall after shutting down, press the power button for a few seconds to clear any power remaining, then press the CMOS for a few seconds to clear everything. Then apply power, use the bios flashback method and wait for everything to complete. Shut down again and clear power and CMOS once more and then boot up.

3.Always use the latest MEI driver.

4.Yes it is. It allows the OS to communicate with the motherboard. But I believe MEI assists as well.

5. You can check the chipset via device manager. I usually install chipset driver first then MEI then FW but I don’t think it matters.

MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

JohnAb
Level 17

Hi DosKeeper. Great advice from Hopper. I'm no expert really, but worth knowing that BIOS and ME Firmware are both flashed to the 'motherboard'. If you reinstall Windows again, you would therefore only need to update the MEI drivers (well, until more updates come out). 

So ideally, you would update MEI drivers, then flash ME firmware and then update the BIOS (whichever one you have selected). I understand that you did the BIOS first. So now, just update to latest MEI drivers, then flash the firmware and you should be good to go.  

Any issues (very unlikely) then just flash the BIOS again as a final step. I prefer EZ Flash because I find it inconvenient to find the Flashback port at the rear of the machine, but either method should work the same. I would suggest just updating one BIOS and then making sure everything is completely stable for a month before updating the other. Always good to have a backup option. 

Final word of advice - always read comments on the latest BIOS release before doing the updates. Some BIOS versions cause problems, especially with faster memory. For example, BIOS 2305 has caused a number of issues for people on Z690 boards and it's a locked version, meaning that it usually isn't possible to go back. There is a workaround for 2305 and some boards, but not a good place to be.   

I also like to keep all drivers bang up to date and if you find MoKiChU's driver threads, you'll be able to do that if you wish - usually much more recent than the support page drivers. Entirely optional of course. I've had no issues whatsoever using his latest drivers - they are all 'official' he just releases them before they make it onto the support pages. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb
Level 17

Sorry, when I said that MoKiChU's drivers are official, I didn't mean they are approved by Asus, I meant that he doesn't modify them - so they are genuine, if that's a better way to describe the great work he does. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

DosKeeper
Level 8

Thanks Hopper64 and JohnAb! One more thing though - does MEI firmware have an effect on voltages and overclocking? Right now my RAM is running at 7200 and SA voltage set manually to 1.25 (auto set it to 1.3). Everything is running fine, but I was thinking of disabling XMP before flashing firmware. Every other setting is at default, except for fan curves. Will I be OK if leave XMP on? I did not get any XMP or NVME issues by not updating MEI firmware, so I was even thinking of skipping this part.

Hopper64
Level 15

I have never changed my OC for a FW update. That applies to memory and CPU. I will clear the CMOS of course for the bios update though.

MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

DosKeeper
Level 8

Thanks Hopper! Couldn't agree more about the bios!

JohnAb
Level 17

Haha, I've never cleared my CMOS for a BIOS update. Mind you, mine is pretty much on defaults anyway, except that I do lower PCH voltages to midpoints normally, just to lower PCH temp slightly. It's a good idea though, I think I will clear it in future. Probably best to ensure that 'max stability' is available for the process.