cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*HELP* Completely New Build Using Maximus Z790 Extreme Motherboard AND 13900KS 13th Gen CPU

PhreakyPyro
Level 8

Here is a list of my pieces of hardware

CPU: Intel 13th Gen 13900KS
MotherBoard: Maximus Z790 Extreme
CPU Cooler: Asus Ryujin 2 ARGB
Ram: G-Skill DDR5-6400 32X4
O.S. Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 1T
Bulk Storage: Samsun 980 Pro 2T x 2 (DIMM.2)
PSU: MEG Ai1300P PCIE5
GPU Asus Rog Strix 4090 OC Edition
O.S. Windows 11 Home
Case: Lian Li Dynamic EVO
Case Fans Lian Li Infinity Fans x 10

So my situation is this. I have bought all new parts for my rig. I have put everything together. I took my ASUS provided bios flash USB from my MOBO box and on my laptop I downloaded the bios update to the bios flash USB, renamed it, put the bios flash USB in the bios flash slot on the MOBO, pressed the bios flashback button, LCD screen on MOBO said bios flash successful. It seems I need to download and update the Intel ME to get the bios to accept the 13th gen CPU. How do I download the Intel ME without posting my computer? I do not know how to get the intel ME to download until I have windows to get to the download? I have wondered if I can somehow use my other desktop rig the CPU: Intel 8th Gen 8700k and MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E. I have thought about taking my NEW Samsung 990 Pro(Bought solely for my Boot drive on my new 13th gen/Z790 rig) to my other desktop Rig and taking out the M.2 and SSD for that Rig then doing a new Windows install on my NEW Samsung 990 Pro(Bought solely for my O.S. Boot drive on my new 13th gen/Z790 rig) and downloading the Intel ME on that M.2. Would that even help me or would downloading Intel ME on my other desktop rig (CPU: Intel 8th Gen 8700k and MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E) apply the Intel ME to the ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E or could I then take that 990 with windows and the Intel ME update on it back to my new build and it work?

Short Hand Individual Questions.

Currently my Maximus Z790 Extreme's Bios is flashed with "ROG MAXIMUS Z790 EXTREME BIOS 0816". (Separate laptop used to achieve these steps) ASUS Website to download Bios Update, Used ASUS Provided USB Drive to store bios update, Plugged in ASUS Provided USB Drive with Bios update on it into Bios Flash USB Slot, Held Bios Flash Button on back I/O to start, and Small LCD screen on MOBO stated the Bios update was a success.

How do I get the Intel ME update on that MOBO if I can not use the CPU?

Can I take my fresh M.2 to an older Rig(CPU 8th gen, MOBO Z370-E) install windows on it download the Intel ME update and bring it back to my new build?

Am I just ignorant and I do not see the correct pathway?

Do I have to simply buy a 12th Gen Intel CPU get my Rig to Post download Intel ME just to shut down and swap back to my 13th Gen CPU?

Any Advice on this would really help. I have been looking around for information without starting my own post so I was not cluttering up Forums with previously Asked/Solved questions. I have found stuff here and there yet nothing concrete. I just keep seeing for the ASUS Z790 boards to support the 13th Gen Intel CPUs you need the ASUS bios update. For the ASUS Bios update to work you need the Intel ME update. I then see people calling it a cart before the horse situation meaning you need Intel ME to make the Bios update work for the 13th gen however you cant get the Intel ME without the 13th gen working..?

If I have not explained my situation enough/clearly OR I have ignorantly left out any critical information please feel free to let me know. I will promptly add/edit/fix the post for future clarity.

Please Send Help.....

Thanks,
Phreak

14 REPLIES 14

JohnAb
Level 17

Since you have the flashback button and have updated the BIOS (without updating ME firmware), you should still be able to boot from a USB stick and install Windows. It's recommended to update ME firmware before the BIOS, but it is not essential. Once you are into Windows, you can install drivers, update Windows MEI drivers and ME firmware. So, are you saying that you cannot boot from a Windows USB stick? I have to go to bed now, but I'll check in again tomorrow...

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3302, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb
Level 17

One more thing, if you are using an NVME drive and the Windows installer cannot see it, try moving it to a different slot. That problem has happened before on 690 boards when ME firmware was not updated before the BIOS. If you can install Windows onto the NVME in another slot, then once all drivers and firmware are updated, you should be able to place the NVME drive back into the original slot if you prefer..... OK, I have to go for now, good luck. 

Z690 Hero, BIOS 3302, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb
Level 17

...and finally,  you could also try installing windows to an old fashioned HDD connected via SATA - that should also work and allow you to get everything updated. 

I really appreciate the response. I have not even tried to install windows yet. I have a windows USB Drive so I can give it a try. I am going to take your advice and attempt to install windows off my USB drive. If I am able to boot off my USB Drive to install windows that would be awesome! If I am able to boot off my USB Drive and can't find my M.2 that is alright as well I can take my new Rig's M.2 to my older Rig and remove all storage from my older rig to install windows on my new rig's M.2. I had not tried installing Windows on my new Rig because I was trying to go to the bios to setup the boot order. I Suppose it cant hurt to try.

PhreakyPyro
Level 8

So, I have an update. I tried to install Windows via USB Drive. I do not get any display on either monitor I tried 2. The boot get stuck on Q-Code 98 "Console input devices connect". I also tested both monitors on my laptop to verify both the monitor and the cable. I turned off power to my PSU and removed my GPU and put it back in it's anti static bag for safe keeping to attempt to use the IGPU on my CPU with no luck on the display. I am going to slowly break down my rig until it is bare bones. I am going to power down my rig and remove the DRam and install a single stick in A2 (Second from the left.. ). My motherboard manual states on page 1-5 the DRam slots are labeled A1-A2-B1-B2. A2 and B2 are also labeled 1st. I would have to assume that would be if using 2 sticks of Dram in dual channel mode you would use A2 and B2. On the same page in my motherboards manual it states 1 stick of DRam is to populate A2. I am going to change locations of my M.2 NVME SSD from M.2_2 to either M.2_1 or M.2_3. I do have 2 additional M.2 Drive locations however they are both on a DIMM card located to the right of the DRam which is currently not installed on the motherboard and is filled with the 2 storage M.2 Drives I plan to use. I will update this after each step... DRam, M.2 Location, etc...

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Perhaps try the latest beta: (Source SafeDisk/Shamino)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m2O-qCyR57h-YzlhFNDxTn2I0Toh0ooL/view?usp=share_link

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

JohnAb
Level 17

Yes, A2 and B2 for two sticks. That should work. If not, one stick in A2 only for now. Also make sure that all BIOS settings are reset to defaults for starters and that XMP is off. You can try a beta BIOS like Silent Scone suggested as well, but there might be an easier thing to try first....

You said the error code  was "console input devices connect". That sounds like a keyboard and/or mouse error to me. If they are wireless, are they turned on? Batteries OK? Try a wired keyboard too. 

Once you get a display, it's better to install Windows on the machine you are going to be using as Microsoft drivers will be set according to the hardware. In theory, you can install Windows on another machine and then move the drive, but that's not normally the best way to do it. If you can get a display working, you should be fine to install Windows. From there, you can then do all of the updates and get everything working. Not sure what your experience level is, but it might be a good idea to allow Armoury Crate to install all of your drivers first. That should get you a working system and then you can update things like ME firmware afterwards.    

Honestly my experience level is just high enough to know how ignorant I am. It is also just high enough to put things together and if there is an issue I am able to research a lot and read everything I can related to my issue and figure it regardless how many topics I do not understand the rabbit hole can go pretty deep rapidly if it is unknown territory.

So I pre load all my drivers I will need on a usb.  When I go to install windows I disconnect ethernet .  Install windows and when it asks to connect to wifi say no and install windows.  Then run each driver off the usb stick.  Chipset, Intel ME driver, Firmware update, graphics, ethernet and wifi. Not sure if this will help or not

Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11