cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Z690 Intel 12900K AI overclock isn't working

GettnBetter
Level 9
I'm really disappointed in the AI overclocking features of all my ASUS Z690 motherboards and 12900k CPU's. Any AI overclock on pretty much all the Z690 ASUS boards I've dealt with causes bluescreens in WOW. I never experienced this with Z490's and 10900k chips, even when I threw in crappy memory. As much as I enjoy fiddling with getting the most out of CPU's, time is money and I've always paid a premium for ASUS boards just for this purpose. Some things need to be stupid simple and the AI on these boards is broke.

Also, why install 4 slot DDR5 memory, that only serves to confuse folks. It's like someone didn't read the specs or was directed by marketing to release a doomed product.

Then again, removing all AI overclocking from the 12900k reveals a fantastically fast system that blows away most of my 10900k AI overclocks. Those 12900's are fast no doubt.
8 REPLIES 8

pointinline
Level 7
I concur. I ran AI overclock in Asus Suite like I do on every single build I've done in the last few years, and it's only with my Z690 Extreme and an I9-12900k that AI overclock spit out settings that made my computer unable to boot.

I completely ditched the overclocking settings and set a reasonable manual overclock all cores and everything has been fine so far *knock on wood*

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

The rules for the CPU abilities are quite tight so the majority of CPUs shouldn't have a problem. As per the guide in this subsection, make sure XMP is not enabled before attempting to obtain a baseline with AI Overclocking. Naturally, it's important that all other subsystems are stable.

Moreover, the AI Tweaker page within the UEFI should give you all the per-core predictions you need to set up an adaptive per core OC.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:

Moreover, the AI Tweaker page within the UEFI should give you all the per-core predictions you need to set up an adaptive per core OC.

Hi, for my 12900 AI is finally working. Initially I got some weird results, but after several times resetting to bios defaults it is now properly pushing the CPU to 54-53-...52. All settings are by the algorithm. I wonder, is it really worth the hassle to manipulating the conditions core by core?

Chainbold wrote:
Hi, for my 12900 AI is finally working. Initially I got some weird results, but after several times resetting to bios defaults it is now properly pushing the CPU to 54-53-...52. All settings are by the algorithm. I wonder, is it really worth the hassle to manipulating the conditions core by core?

If by manipulate you mean simply enter the per core predictions as well as adaptive voltage manually, then yes, there’s no harm in doing this.

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
If by manipulate you mean simply enter the per core predictions as well as adaptive voltage manually, then yes, there’s no harm in doing this.

But the result would be exactly the same as keeping AI doing it. So, I guess no reason / benefit of putting in the AI determined values manually?

Chainbold wrote:
But the result would be exactly the same as keeping AI doing it. So, I guess no reason / benefit of putting in the AI determined values manually?

You can do it either way, that’s why the predictions are laid out the way they are for per core usage. Not only that but it can be required to change AVX targets depending on the CPU.

GettnBetter
Level 9
So the key is not to rely on the memory settings but rather, the let the Asus AI test the memory? I did notice this on a system recently when I ran the AI overclock, it disabled XMP

GettnBetter wrote:
So the key is not to rely on the memory settings but rather, the let the Asus AI test the memory? I did notice this on a system recently when I ran the AI overclock, it disabled XMP

The key is not to have any form of memory overclocking or another subsystem overclock active at all. These should come second