cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus Z690 Extreme Glacial - Jet plate gunk -how do you disassemble the Block?

cyberstorm
Level 7
Hello.

After having built my first water cooled system, i proceeded to used medical grade distilled water for flushing wounds, to be extra safe (As the other types available to me was only demineralized water). I did this to flush the system … I should have known better, to flush each part individually, But I had read, that all the EK Radiators, didn’t need to be flushed, so, I thought I was safe.

After having run the pump in a leak test for 9 hours without leaks, i decided, that would do it, So, Emptying all the liquid was quite difficult with 3 rads in top bottom and side, and a EK Reflection Distroblock in a Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG case.

I proceeded to fill the loop with Clear EK Cryofuel premix, 2.45 liters or thereabouts (2 EK PE Rads, 1 EK XE rad, 1 Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme Glacial, and 1 Front and 1 active back plate EK Vector Strix for the Asus 3090 Strix OC, every fitting also EK.

To my horror it looked like black gunk in the Motherboard Jet plate area, that was stuck at several of the fins. Later I discovered the same was true for the Front plate Jet area of the GPU …

So, I disassembled the GPU front and back plate, and cleaned with isopropyl alcohol, and using the Cryofuel premix for final flushing.

To my horror, the Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme Glacial Block is unable to be disassembled easily - at least 2 or 3 screws are below the glued in OLED display, which makes cleaning the block neigh on impossible.

I know, that most won’t discover this until they need to clean it — but my gunk buildup, has made that a priority. Though, I don’t really want to destroy the OLED display or other parts of the Beautiful Ultrablock.

Are there anyone out there, who has discovered how to disassemble the Ultrablock, without destroying the OLED display. (One can probably heat it up to some temp to let the glue slip, same as for ipad disassemblies, but I haven’t had the courage to do that, and also, something else might be needed).

92942*
Here zoomed in, so that the details isn’t lost so much in the compression (i hope).***
4 REPLIES 4

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi cyberstorm,
I'm afraid the warranty would be void if you disassemble the Ultrablock.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi cyberstorm,
I'm afraid the warranty would be void if you disassemble the Ultrablock.
Thank you.

thank you very much for your high quality and informative input.Â*

Please provide the address for me to ship this block to for cleaning.

I eagerly await your equally high quality and informative response. Â*

xarot
Level 11
There seems to be some gunk, but some of that can also be just water between the fins. I've a few times cleaned my CPU blocks and some water between fins with reflections can look like gunk until it dries.

Sounds like a really poorly designed product, you could try contacting EK Waterblocks support if they could help you how it could be disassembled. Those blocks should never be designed so that it's impossible to clean them. However unfortunately it looks like same issue existed with their Z590 version with similar design: https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/s1fgq3/help_how_to_clean_asus_maximus_xiii_extreme/
Main: i9-10980XE - Rampage VI Extreme Encore - 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 CL16 - Strix RTX 3090 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Corsair AX1500i - Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB + Intel 600P 1TB - Water cooling
HTPC: i7-6950X - X99-M WS - 32 GB G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-2400 - GTX1050TI - Bitfenix Pandora - Corsair AX860 - Intel 750 400 GB + Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO
All around: i9-7980XE - Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB G.Skill 4000 CL18-19-19-39 - Strix RTX3090 - Phanteks P500A - Samsung 960 EVO 512 GB - Water cooling

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Looks like whatever was used to flush has reacted badly. Have you contacted EKWB? I use the Veloticy block on my Apex with EK Solids and haven't had anything like the above.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090