Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I doing the undervolt correctly? BIOS 1403

MaGiiC
Level 7
Am I doing the undervolt correctly?

Hi guys,

I tried to undervolt my 12900K, as the temperatures in Cinebench were almost 100 degrees.

The thing is I don't know if I'm doing it correctly, I've set these parameters (BIOS 1403)

Actual VRM Core Voltage on Offset - and 0.05.

Global Core SVIDF Voltage on Adaptative Mode -, and 0.05.

The Cache SVID Voltage I tried to set the same parameters but the PC didn't boot afterwards, so I did a CMOS clear and left this option as default

My temperatures have now improved somewhat, but I think they are still high even if it's hot. Also, in The Witcher 3 the CPU runs between 47-58 degrees with constant peaks at +60, and I find those peaks uncomfortable.

I have the impression that I haven't done the undervolt correctly.

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

mr_allroy
Level 9
MaGiiC wrote:
Am I doing the undervolt correctly?

Hi guys,

I tried to undervolt my 12900K, as the temperatures in Cinebench were almost 100 degrees.

The thing is I don't know if I'm doing it correctly, I've set these parameters (BIOS 1403)

Actual VRM Core Voltage on Offset - and 0.05.

Global Core SVIDF Voltage on Adaptative Mode -, and 0.05.

The Cache SVID Voltage I tried to set the same parameters but the PC didn't boot afterwards, so I did a CMOS clear and left this option as default

My temperatures have now improved somewhat, but I think they are still high even if it's hot. Also, in The Witcher 3 the CPU runs between 47-58 degrees with constant peaks at +60, and I find those peaks uncomfortable.

I have the impression that I haven't done the undervolt correctly.

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious to know this as well. I'd also like some more info on how the CPU L2 voltage affects stability and temps. I'd also like to know how to lower the voltage when the cpu boosts as that's what causes the quick and huge rise in temps for me. However, I'm stumped as to what setting or method of OC'ing that would let me adjust this.

To OP, those temps are pretty normal for the 12900K. I get about the same temps with a 360 AIO so running at those temps daily shouldn't be a worry but lower temps are always nice.

mr_allroy wrote:
I'm curious to know this as well. I'd also like some more info on how the CPU L2 voltage affects stability and temps. I'd also like to know how to lower the voltage when the cpu boosts as that's what causes the quick and huge rise in temps for me. However, I'm stumped as to what setting or method of OC'ing that would let me adjust this.

To OP, those temps are pretty normal for the 12900K. I get about the same temps with a 360 AIO so running at those temps daily shouldn't be a worry but lower temps are always nice.

Hi, those temperatures you see, are they with an assumed undervolt 0.05 (if I have done it correctly?).

Does your cpu also have undervolt?

MaGiiC wrote:
Hi, those temperatures you see, are they with an assumed undervolt 0.05 (if I have done it correctly?).

Does your cpu also have undervolt?

Those temps are with all stock on cores and no under volt. I did manage to get a stable OC at 5.1/4.0 which requires an offset of -.05 or so using adaptive voltage with the Global Core SVIDF Voltage setting. I also set my svid behavior to "trained" which seems to lower temps without any adverse effects. You could try that with default clocks and see if it helps.

As far as any other settings that may help with temps, leaves me in the same boat as you.