cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Not being detected as boot drive on Boot-up

Dickiedavies
Level 7
Evening all,

I hope some bright spark out there can help. A newbee?

I recently bought the Z590 maximus Hero xIIII MB. I have contected (on M.2_3 slot) my old SSD card Samsung 970 1TB (with windows 10 64bit OS on it) taken from my old set-up MB x99 Deluxe 2. I fired up the new MB but it is not booting to windows? The advance \ NVme controller and drive info has drive listed and if looking in EZ mode drive is also listed under storage information as M,2_3: samsung SSD 970 EVO plus 1 TB . But have tried to look at Boot menu and no drive listed. Gone to onboard devices configuration and see M.2_3 configuartion as Auto.

Any ideas how i get the SSD to boot into my windows so i can then update drivers from supplied disc to install all new software onto this SSD drive from windows and remove my old x99MB drivers. Any pointers or help will be greatly recieved. thanks all!
5 REPLIES 5

Legolas
Level 9
Dickiedavies wrote:
Evening all,

I hope some bright spark out there can help. A newbee?

I recently bought the Z590 maximus Hero xIIII MB. I have contected (on M.2_3 slot) my old SSD card Samsung 970 1TB (with windows 10 64bit OS on it) taken from my old set-up MB x99 Deluxe 2. I fired up the new MB but it is not booting to windows? The advance \ NVme controller and drive info has drive listed and if looking in EZ mode drive is also listed under storage information as M,2_3: samsung SSD 970 EVO plus 1 TB . But have tried to look at Boot menu and no drive listed. Gone to onboard devices configuration and see M.2_3 configuartion as Auto.

Any ideas how i get the SSD to boot into my windows so i can then update drivers from supplied disc to install all new software onto this SSD drive from windows and remove my old x99MB drivers. Any pointers or help will be greatly recieved. thanks all!

Hello,
The M.2_1( see manual) is doesn't work with 10th Intel processor. Pleaase install the M.2 drive on M.2_2 or M.2_3
If you did, please go to BIOS -> Boot -> Boot option/priority #1 -> Windows Boot Manager. (Samsung).
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
Hello,
The M.2_1( see manual) is doesn't work with 10th Intel processor. Pleaase install the M.2 drive on M.2_2 or M.2_3
If you did, please go to BIOS -> Boot -> Boot option/priority #1 -> Windows Boot Manager. (Samsung).

Hi Legolas thanks for trying to help.

I have the SSD contected in the M.2-3 slot. My problem is the SSD will not Boot to windows or UEFI BIOS utility change settings in key areas for SSD card

Settings :

UEFI BIOS Utility - Advance mode
CSM - which when you enter is grey out - so cannot launch CSM
Secure Boot - OS Type set to Windows UEFI mode & Secure Boot mode to Custom
Boot configuration - just settings for boot up
Boot option priorities - is grey out
Boot override - is grey out

UEFI BIOS utility - EZ mode
Storage information - NVME: M.2_3: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1 TB
Boot Priority - No SSD just blank
Boot Menu - same no SSD being pick-up

Intel Rapid Storage Technology - off

I have only the SSD fitted and no SATA drives to keep simple for now but will connect once the computer is using SSD M2 to windows.

Any points to get SSD to boot to windows? The MB is picking up SSD but not allow it to be selected to prioritise to Boot?

Saltgrass
Level 13
Are you sure the install on the x99 was a UEFI install? Can you put the drive back on the X99 and get us a Disk Management picture?

An alternative might be to boot into the install media and go to a command prompt and use Diskpart to show the partitions on the drive..

Do you have a Retail License for Win 10?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Are you sure the install on the x99 was a UEFI install? Can you put the drive back on the X99 and get us a Disk Management picture?

An alternative might be to boot into the install media and go to a command prompt and use Diskpart to show the partitions on the drive..

Do you have a Retail License for Win 10?

Hi Saltgrass thanks for helping.

Used my Bootable USB windows repair to access Diskpart looks like the partitions format are NTFS attached pic. it the same when i try to use my back-up hard boot drive within SATA it is not being recongised as a boot drive. Can i recover the SSD to be a boot drive so do not loss any info or do i have to clear and do a reinstall of fresh windows? or can you change any settings to be recongised by MB?

thanks
rich

Dickiedavies wrote:
Hi Saltgrass thanks for helping.

Used my Bootable USB windows repair to access Diskpart looks like the partitions format are NTFS attached pic. it the same when i try to use my back-up hard boot drive within SATA it is not being recongised as a boot drive. Can i recover the SSD to be a boot drive so do not loss any info or do i have to clear and do a reinstall of fresh windows? or can you change any settings to be recongised by MB?

thanks
rich

Your best bet would be to get a cheap sata to USB adapter, like $15. Then you can plug it into anything and get your files off. Then Delete the partitions and start all over. Should be able to delete partitions and format on install.