cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new build with Maximus XIII Hero issues

Ryan5091
Level 7
Hello, I've recently picked up a XIII Hero and 11900k as a small upgrade over my previous z490/10700k (I know, weird upgrade. Wanted PCIe4 and I get a hell of a deal from my employer which fit my budget.) And while it is on and logged into my fresh install of Windows 10, all is good. However, I have some deal breaking issues and oddities.

The big issue, when I leave my computer to idle, let the screen saver start, then let it auto shut off my monitors, I come back to the computer, hit a key on the keyboard to wake up my monitors and while it acts like the monitors received signal and turns the backlight on, they immediately go back off and the computer is unresponsive (As evident as my keyboard not responding to caps/num lock) which the only way to bring it back is the reset button. This happens every time I leave my computer idle for 20+ minutes. I see nothing in the event logs other then "The previous shutdown was unexpected", from hitting reset. This will also happen if I turn on my computer and step away during boot, let it get to the login and auto shutoff the displays after a minute, and I come back to the same scenario. System locked up after the screen turns off. While my computer is logged in however, it seems to be perfectly stable. No freezes while actively using the computer, so far.

I can't find anything online except typical windows things, but I've reinstalled windows, updated all my drivers, BIOS/FW updated to latest version from the support page, Tried Nvidia 522.25, 517.48 drivers and yet it still happens. This never happened when I was on my old MB/processor. I've tried experimenting with the bios, Having XMP 1 on or off, ASUS multicore enhancement on/off. Same deal.

Another odd thing is that when I turn on from soft off, or restart, after a few seconds at the login screen my USB devices reset. Mouse and keyboard lights and functionality turn off for about 5-10 seconds and I'm not able to put in my passcode, then everything comes back on and I'm able to use them. Not sure why that is happening either, or if it is somehow related, but that is something I've never seen in the past.

If it helps, this is what I got new and carried over from my old build.

New:

• Maximus XIII Hero
  • i9-11900k
  • Corsair RM1000x PSU
  • Samsung NVMe 980 PRO in M2_1

Carried Over:

• EVGA 3080 ULTRA FTW3
  • 32GB of 3200M/Ts 4x8GB kit Memory
  • 1TB Samsung 970 EVO & 500GB 970 EVO in M2_3 & M2_4
  • 2 SATA Hard drives and 2 SATA SSDs

Hopefully this isn't too much of a mouthful, I'm at my wits end on trying to figure this out. Is there some sort of BIOS setting I'm missing? I'm not familiar with ASUS boards coming from MSI and Gigabyte, and there are a lot more settings here on the Z590 and PCIe gen4 then I'm used too. So any help or guidance would be fantastic.
3 REPLIES 3

Saltgrass
Level 13
Your choice of systems is not a weird as you might think. 😉

The problem is probably related to your monitors, so we may need to know what they are and how they are connected. Are the monitors matched? Then, for troubleshooting, disconnect one.

How are you setting up your "Screensaver"? You might want to go ahead and upgrade to Win 11 since that will probably be your final OS.

The settings on the monitors as to when they go into lower power or standby mode may be important.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Ryan5091
Level 7
First off, apologies, I work nights so been asleep all day, and I'm currently on mobile. Which, unsurprisingly makes this atrocious to type on, lol.

My monitors are the same I had with the z490 build, 2 LG 1440p 165hz panels and 1 Asus 1080p 144hz panel, all plugged into my 3080 via display port. They worked fine previously on the z490 build, but as a troubleshooting method, I'll try unplugging the asus monitor once I'm home in the morning, that monitor has always taken a very long time to come up vs the LGs, maybe that finally sprung a problem once I switched to the new platform.

As for my Screensaver, it's just turned on from the Screensaver control panel option just from searching for it from the start menu. It's set to start at 15 minutes, with power options set to turn off displays at 20 minutes.

I might upgrade to windows 11 over the weekend, or one of these mornings after work and see if that makes a difference. I was going to originally after getting these new parts, but held off due to hearing something about the latest 22h2 update breaking some Nvidia driver thing.

The 22H2 issue with NVIDIA was in regards to upgrading. If you do clean install from a thumbdrive you probably won't encounter the problem. If you upgrade from your Windows 10, just make sure you have the 22H2 already installed. If you run into a problem with the 22H2 on Windows 10, you 'd be best advised to do a clean install from the Windows Media Creation tool.

One question regarding your other problems. Do you have any USB hard drives attached?
If yes, what happens if you remove them?

[QUOTE=Ryan5091
I might upgrade to windows 11 over the weekend, or one of these mornings after work and see if that makes a difference. I was going to originally after getting these new parts, but held off due to hearing something about the latest 22h2 update breaking some Nvidia driver thing.