willmayo20
Level 7
Specs:
z270e
i7-7700k
Crucial Ballistix 16gb DDR4-2400
Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 512gb
MSI Aero GTX 1080 OC 8gb

I've been battling with this setup for about 10 days now. Each and every time I try a clean Win10 Pro install, I have really weird, strange issues such as:

• Nvidia Driver package errors when extracting, 7 zip crc error
  • Games from Steam download erratically, downloads will dl for 10 seconds, then stop for 20, repeat repeat repeat
  • Random downloads will fail
  • Random software installs will fail
  • Microsoft Onedrive will not install period, the installer fails every time

I have tried multiple builds of Windows 10, all with the same issue. I have swapped each and every component with the exception of the CPU itself and the SSD and have had the exact same issue. When I take the SSD and put it in my laptop, everything works as expected. Windows surprisingly loads up no problem even though its a totally different machine.

I'm really at a loss, and this is super annoying and is really wearing on me at this point. I've run the Intel CPU diagnostic and it passes. At this point I'm thinking that it must be some setting within the Bios - because two motherboards have done the same thing.

Any ideas, anyone?

I have found absolutely zero on google that matches my issue. The closest I found the guy was able to fix it by increasing the CPU voltage?

Any help is much appreciated!
12 REPLIES 12

xeromist
It could be your chosen memory modules or the memory controller on the CPU itself. You could try Memtest86+ or HCI Memtest. HCI recommends opening one instance per core/thread and dividing the total usable memory between them.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
It could be your chosen memory modules or the memory controller on the CPU itself. You could try Memtest86+ or HCI Memtest. HCI recommends opening one instance per core/thread and dividing the total usable memory between them.

I swapped out the memory at one point for totally different memory, different speed and all. I ran Memtest86+ once for 10+ hours, it came back with zero errors. Haven't tried HCI Memtest though, I'll give that a go tonight if you think it may be of any benefit. Does it sound like a memory issue to you?

xeromist
I know some people swear HCI can find errors Memtest86 doesn't. It's certainly a bit quicker for the same memory size at least.

I mention it because memory instability can cause all of this. Memory issues can be unpredictable and varied. Doesn't mean that's your problem though. And given you had the same issues with two different kits I'd say much less likely.

Did your parts swapping include the power supply? Usually a PSU will just fail but if it's got some funky voltages that could cause instability.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I know some people swear HCI can find errors Memtest86 doesn't. It's certainly a bit quicker for the same memory size at least.

I mention it because memory instability can cause all of this. Memory issues can be unpredictable and varied. Doesn't mean that's your problem though. And given you had the same issues with two different kits I'd say much less likely.

Did your parts swapping include the power supply? Usually a PSU will just fail but if it's got some funky voltages that could cause instability.

Yes, I swapped the power supply.

What’s the best way to test the memory controller on the cpu itself? Thanks!

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
What bios are u using?
Learn, Play Enjoy!

chevell65
Level 12
Have you tried using the Samsung NVMe drivers for 970 Evo instead of the Windows version?

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970pro/

Itzycharles wrote:
What bios are u using?

The latest from the Asus website - the version number escapes my memory at the moment, but i'm sure it's the latest.

chevell65 wrote:
Have you tried using the Samsung NVMe drivers for 970 Evo instead of the Windows version?

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970pro/

Yep, tried it.

I think I may have a Kaby Lake locked I7 in a machine at work. I could pull it tomorrow and swap that in and see what happens I suppose.

The mobo/cpu combo was purchased in June - if it does end up being one or the other, how are the warranties from Asus/Intel?

I'm really at a loss at this point, I feel like I've tried everything. I've had the HCI memtest going for 3 hours now and so far zero errors.

Menthol
Level 14
Make sure to check socket pins while you are swapping CPU's

xeromist
June isn't that far back so you'd still be under warranty as long as there is no physical damage. You'd want to make sure you know which component is faulty though.