cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to from Asus MVE with i7 3770k..

rog-classified
Level 9
Hi friends.. After long time. Just wanna know if someone like to upgrade the current rig Asus maximus v extreme with i7 3770k to a new MOBO and CPU what should you suggest.
It ain't over till the fat lady sings :cool:...
9 REPLIES 9

Zka17
Level 16
It depends on what you want to achieve by the upgrade...

HiVizMan
Level 40
If your system is not doing what you want it to do then upgrade.

Or

If you like having the most current hardware then upgrade.

😄 I never need a reason to upgrade.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Chino
Level 15

rog-classified
Level 9
Hi. There is mainly 3 reasons that i need a better MOBO.
1.Reason one. PCIE slots. When you use Native PCIE 2 slots for SLI (first and 3rd A ND B2 i think) other PCIE 16x slots is useless (only pcie 4X small slot can use). This is because the CPU.
Reason two. Lack inboard USB ports. have only 3 and two is occupy by H100i. Rest one and that is not enough.
Reason three. Random crash blue screen. Cant overclock memory to 2600mhz. System keep restarting. not even to bios. usb device not recognized for a wile and even old devices are keep recognizing. You know how annoying is when you play a game and hear "dig dong" usb reconnect sound comes.
I like the MOBO but its time I think. New bios update didn't do much. CPU overclock is amazing in this card. i use 4.6 never crash or fail.
Note*** we are missing the point. My question was, which MOBO to buy in future but no one give me a good advice. All i got is a question back 😄

Highlnder3
Level 7
I cannot speak for the others that answered, but it is difficult to give proper advice without knowing what your budget is and what you plan to do with your system.

As for the problems you have with your setup:
#1 you could look at putting your money into water cooling your system and the GPUs, that will save you space after installing the water blocks.
#2 I have the same board and bought an internal powered USB hub, it works like a charm.
#3 If you have random BSODs and crashes you might not have your overclock as stable as you think.
P.S. Is there a reason you need your RAM running at 2600?

Now for my suggestions:
If you are really set on upgrading (which I agree with HiV, there doesn't really need to be a reason LOL) you might want to start with which CPU you're going with. If you are looking at Haswell start looking at the Haswell socket boards. If you want to put the money into an Ivy-E then look at the 2011 socket boards or more probably wait for the Rampage IV Black Edition to be released.

I hope this helps some.
I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass!!!

Maximus V Extreme - 3770K @ 4.5ghz - Kingston Hyper X KHX24C11K4/16X 16GB @ 2400mhz
Corsair Hydro Series H80i - 2 x MSI GTX 770 Lightning - Samsung 830 SSD 256GB - WD Caviar Black 2TB
Xonar Phoebus - Corsair AX1200i - Antec Eleven Hundred - LG 27EA63V

Zka17
Level 16
If you want more/higher speed PCIe, then you need LGA2011/X79... the Rampage IV Black Edition is around the corner! :cool:

A 3930k or 4930k will give you good 6-core experience... - the LGA2011 is quad channel, so you may need to get an another RAM kit too (mixing two dual-channel isn't the best option)

And yes, the LGA2011/X79 platform will be the most expensive...

A less expensive alternative could be the Z87/Haswell platform... those are the Maximus VI series boards... with a 4770k would be certainly an upgrade from your present system - but not sure on the PCIe thing...

Ivy supports x16 lanes and Haswell supports x20. If you really need all the lanes and can afford it go Ivy-E which has x40 lanes available.
I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass!!!

Maximus V Extreme - 3770K @ 4.5ghz - Kingston Hyper X KHX24C11K4/16X 16GB @ 2400mhz
Corsair Hydro Series H80i - 2 x MSI GTX 770 Lightning - Samsung 830 SSD 256GB - WD Caviar Black 2TB
Xonar Phoebus - Corsair AX1200i - Antec Eleven Hundred - LG 27EA63V

rog-classified
Level 9
Thank you for the suggestions. I herd rumors about the X99 chip set and new MOBO. May be intles new CPU? Do you think it may come out soon. I don't want to change a MOBO very year. Probably asus rampage v may comes with X99 wright? if its withing 6 month time i will wait. its kind a useless to go from MVE to M6E. As HiVizman say we don't need a reason to upgrade. I think GTX680 can live another one yer without a problem specially on SLI.
Do Rampage IV black edition support ivy bridge E? it dint mention on newegg.
ASUS P9X79-E WS LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI CEB Intel Motherboard Next Generation CPU Ivy Bridge-E support ready .
which one i should go for( If X99 is far far away). price is almost same.

HiVizMan
Level 40
There will not be a new CPU or X99 motherboard within the time frame you have set. The RIVE BE has just been released and will be in stores soon. That and the fact that Intel have just released the 4 series X79 Ivy-E sort of forecloses on any new CPU and motherboard within 6 months.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.