cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird behavior by ASUS motherboard

mr_element
Level 7
Hi,

I own an ASUS PRIME Z390-A. On it I have an i7-8700 and 16 Gigs of Corsair Pro RGB RAM (2x8) and no graphics card.

tl;dr version: When the PC is hard reset it shows problem with either DRAM or CPU (on MoBo LEDs). If those are bypassed it stucks on the VGA LED unless I unplug the monitor and reboot. Then it boots. This has happened two times with small variations, once when I first built the PC and once today when I changed some power settings from Windows.

Now from the first time I put the PC together something weird things happened:
Weird 1) I had just put the PC together, and powered it up when out of the 4 LED that the motherboard has the DRAM one was yellow. Immediately I consulted my manual and saw that this may indicate a RAM problem. Moving to weird 2.

Weird 2) Though I was very disappointed for reasons I cannot recall I decided to boot the PC with monitor on it. So I cold booted the PC once again only this time the process stuck with the VGA LED being bright white and the BOOT LED being green. So I thought that this was weird (since I was expecting a RAM issue based on the previous facts) so I turned on the monitor to see if there was any image available. Image was nowhere to be found so I proceeded to turn off the PC by pressing the power for 5 seconds and then booting again. This time the computer booted!

After that Windows were installed and the issue was forgotten on my side (not entirely) as the pc was working stably and I had no problem with it whatsoever. Fast forward to today...

Today I decided to enable some power-related features of Windows that I wanted to use (such as Hibernate, Sleep) which I did and once that was done I tried to put the computer to sleep to test if all was working as intended. The computer went to sleep but I was unable to wake it up! No matter which buttons I pressed it refused to come back live. So after a few minutes of trying I proceeded to press the power button for 5 seconds and turn it off.

Weird 1) Turning it back on it couldn't boot! The LED on the motherboard was this time the CPU shining bright red and alternating between a green DRAM like a police car! Immediately I thought of my previous resolution so I turned the PC off as usual, unplugged the monitor and booted again.

Weird 2) This time (and without monitor) the boot process again as before froze with the VGA LED shining white and the BOOT LED shining green. Again reconnecting the monitor gave no image. I turned it off connected the monitor booted again and the PC booted as if it had woken up from SLEEP state. It even brought back my last opened programs and windows.

I think that there is something seriously wrong here but I cannot fathom what. Thoughts?

Kind regards,
George
1 REPLY 1

feedmeink
Level 12
Have you fully updated the bios?