cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very strange set of problems with my Maximus Hero XI Wifi

OutlawXGP
Level 7
Hello guys I have been having a super strange set of problems with my Maximus Hero XI which I just can't figure out after 3 months of troubleshooting.

The first issue is related using both NVME slots with 512GB Samsung 970 Pro where during heavy loads such as (gaming and streaming ) the lower NVME slot would suddenly get stuck at 100% disk usage with 0 KB/s Reads or writes which forces me to reboot windows using the reset button. Now this does not happen if only one NVME slot is populated. I've tried so many different steps to try and resolve this problem including just recently buying another ASUS maximus XI hero and another new Samsung 970 Pro NVME drives from Amazon. I did a fresh install of Windows to 1903 and tried both with Samsung nvme drivers and windows built in drivers. I also tried a few common suggestions online such as some registry tweaks and disabling of some services but NOTHING seems to help. I finally gave up and decided to just stick to using 1 NVME drive on the motherboard. Here is a screenshot of the problem. https://i.imgur.com/cyTIk3W.png

The second problem which started happening with Windows 1903 is unusual slow booting, This is yet another strange issue where windows would take longer to boot. I discovered that if the Realtek sound driver is installed this could happen with out this driver it will boot normally, I could also have that driver installed but If I unplug my Corsair K70 Keyboard it also resolve the issue. Finally the third thing which can get rid of this issue is to remove any overclock from the BIOS.

I also confirmed that this only happens with Windows version 1903 as I reinstalled 1809 and had no such issues. Both of these problems also happened using a brand new ASUS Maximus Hero board which I bought 3 days ago.

I am currently using the very latest BIOS 1105 and my system Specs are:

• i9 9900K at 5Ghz
  • 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz Memory
  • EVGA XC Ultra RTX 2080Ti
  • 2x Samsung NVME SSD 970 Pro 512GB
  • 2x 1TB Samsung EVO 860
  • 1000W LEADEX 80 PLUS PLATINUM PSU

If any one have ran into similar issues or can provide any sort of advice I would greatly appreciate it as Its driving me insane lol.

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

NDarcy
Level 7
Well, I haven't exactly experienced the same problems as you (I actually do use two Samsung 970 Pro NVME drives on the MB, without any issues), but I have recently upgraded my BIOS to 1105 and that got me into a world of trouble. So many that I don't even know where to start, from system stability, to multiple POST when booting (I hate that), Windows booting up without getting any image on my monitor (only after several seconds it would apparently detect the GPU and I'd suddenly get an image) or sometimes, even stranger, Windows would boot (I could hear the Windows startup sound) but the image on my monitor would remain the ROG logo with the Windows loading wheel still spinning - again, after almost a minute then I would get an image, and a warning saying that a G-Sync monitor had just been connected. 1105 doesn't seem to be very reliable - I've seen several people with different complaints. My computer only returned to its normal self once I did a Flashback to 0805 (maybe I could have used a more recent version, but since it was working well with that version I just went back to it). Have you also had those problems with other BIOS versions?

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I have checking some issues also. i revert back to 1005. and YES. is strange. i was on last ver, experience some usb drop outs.

Now. since these ver and the one above, id did see these nvme slowdown. Not only on the ROG but also on z370 x390 strix. Aside that some variacion like even on OC drops on from 5 to 4.6 variacion even that i have a good oc that i have use.

Now. for the events of the intel flop trying to combat the spectre and meldown and others new names, and some windows updates, MAYBE is part of these issues and others.

these also affect other systems. maybe. I will continue monitoring these and see how these evolve. Now there are more patches coming on windows. Yesterday i was working with a z370 strix with same syntoms on the nvme i will tell my friend to check.
Learn, Play Enjoy!