cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade GPU on a ASUS ROG Strix G10 CE

david52548
Level 8

Has anyone upgraded their Nvidia 3060 GPU that is in the G10CE Desktop to a better GPU?  If so, what did you upgrade to and what had to be changed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Both Cyberpunk and Red Dead Redemption 2 are demanding games.

I have Cyberpunk 2077 and even with a 3090 ti, ray tracing puts a big hit on performance.

You could go with a 4000 series gpu, these have DLLS 3 which dramatically improves ray tracing performance.

With a psu, it's  good to go over the recommended wattage, a higher wattage psu will run cooler and quieter. A higher rated psu will save you on your electric bill in the long run as they are more efficient, Titanium is the highest rating. You might also want to look at psu's that use the 12VHPWR cable, otherwise, you'll have to use the gpu power adapter cable. 

I think you're going to like your new hobby, it sounds like you're ready to start building your own by buying a case.

I personally use the EVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium, it does not support the 12VHPWR cable.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nate152

Hello david52548,

Without upgrading the power supply, you're pretty much stuck with an RTX 3060. 

You'll have to upgrade the psu to use higher end graphics cards, you'll want to check the dimensions to make sure a psu and gpu upgrade will fit.

Thank you for the reply to my question. I had done some research and saw that a new PSU would be needed. I am thinking of moving up to the 3060 ti, 3070, or 3080. I have ordered a new 750 W PSU which according to the ASU site would be good for either of the above GPUs.   I had considered a 4070 but I think you need to upgrade your CPU to a series 12 or 13 with a new Motherboard that has the LGA1700 socket.   I have loaded and played both Red Dead Redemption 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 and found with Cybperpunk I had to turn off Ray Tracing to get a decent FPS in either the 1080p or 1440p modes. I also noted that my desktop with Cyberpunk and Red Dead got very hot with both games even though I have new Notua Case Fan and CPU Heatexchanger Fan plus I have a the Fan Control program and have the fans set to hit 100% when temps of the Case, CPU or GPU hit around 65C.  The G10 case is not the best for cooling so I may opt for a new ATX case that can take three or more fans. I will say the Notua Fans are so quiet you do not even know that the Desktop is powered up, with the stock ASUS fans boy this Desktop was noisy playing Division 2 or Ghost Recon Wildlands.  Again thank you for your reply..... Since I gave up Drag Racing and am retired, gaming and upgrading my Desktop has become my new hobby. Much cheaper than Drag Racing or Boating... LOL but I also have less of an income to spend on my passions. Have a great day and thanks for the help.

Both Cyberpunk and Red Dead Redemption 2 are demanding games.

I have Cyberpunk 2077 and even with a 3090 ti, ray tracing puts a big hit on performance.

You could go with a 4000 series gpu, these have DLLS 3 which dramatically improves ray tracing performance.

With a psu, it's  good to go over the recommended wattage, a higher wattage psu will run cooler and quieter. A higher rated psu will save you on your electric bill in the long run as they are more efficient, Titanium is the highest rating. You might also want to look at psu's that use the 12VHPWR cable, otherwise, you'll have to use the gpu power adapter cable. 

I think you're going to like your new hobby, it sounds like you're ready to start building your own by buying a case.

I personally use the EVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium, it does not support the 12VHPWR cable.