cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual data connector (not SATA?)

fragglerawker
Level 7
JustinThyme wrote:
2.5 SATA SSD gets you about 500MB/S sequential reads where something like the Samsung 970evo will net at least 3000MB/S. For budget minded the Samsung *860EVO 1TB is on special pretty much everywhere for $147 USD. 256GB is bare minimum these days and won’t get you much more than the OS and a few games an apps. *If you are on a really tight budget I’d still make the same recommendations and ad it would be worth saving the $$.*

Somewhat related question - I just bought a PNY CS900 (960GB) and went to install it and the data connector doesn't fit (power pins are just fine). Pretty sure I'm losing my mind. Any idea what the corrector type is? Pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

https://imgur.com/a/tn6ZhE6
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
fragglerawker wrote:
Somewhat related question - I just bought a PNY CS900 (960GB) and went to install it and the data connector doesn't fit (power pins are just fine). Pretty sure I'm losing my mind. Any idea what the corrector type is? Pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

https://imgur.com/a/tn6ZhE6

The drive is a SATA connector, the other is something else.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

JustinThyme
Level 13
Yes can see the sata power (smaller) and data but don’t have a clue what the other you are holding up next to the drive is.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

So the SSD has a power and data component. The power is the bigger connector and the data is the smaller . The cable in my hand is pre-installed on the motherboard for the addition of an ssd in the 2.5" bay above the dvd drive (the cable is initially tucked under the drive bay). The cable splits into the power (which fits the pins on the SSD just fine) and the data - which is pictured and obviously doesn't fit. I feel like a toddler that can't put together a two piece puzzle and and quickly losing the last of my sanity.

xeromist
fragglerawker wrote:
So the SSD has a power and data component. The power is the bigger connector and the data is the smaller . The cable in my hand is pre-installed on the motherboard for the addition of an ssd in the 2.5" bay above the dvd drive (the cable is initially tucked under the drive bay). The cable splits into the power (which fits the pins on the SSD just fine) and the data - which is pictured and obviously doesn't fit. I feel like a toddler that can't put together a two piece puzzle and and quickly losing the last of my sanity.

It may be some sort of proprietary connector to connect to some sort of caddy/backplane if it is indeed for SATA devices. Or maybe it's for some other accessory entirely. Either way it's not designed to fit directly to a normal SATA drive. You should use a standard SATA cable connected to a free header on your motherboard and forget or remove that cable.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…