cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble soft booting after cpu upgrade..

kishman
Level 7
Hi all, hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. First my specs:
Asus ROG Maximus Formula VI
I7 4790k (new) I7 4770k (old)
GTX 970 x 2 in sli
16 gb trident X (8x2)
EVGA P2 1000w psu
bios ver. 1603

My problem is this: I swapped out the 4770 for the 4790 and now my machine refuses to soft boot. It will cold boot no problem but when I try and soft boot (exiting bios etc..) I get a Q-code error 00 and the machine just hangs there.
Everything else is as before, cooler etc.. no change other than the cpu. I've cleared the cmos and loaded optimized defaults in the bios. Previously my machine ran perfectly, no troubles at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Corey

Edit: I've just run through 5 sets of realbench, and gone online for some iRacing. My system seems completely stable, ram is running at 2400(stock) tried soft booting with/without sli; no change. Realbench scores are up from the old cpu, very happy other than this one nagging issue.
4 REPLIES 4

kkn
Level 14
well you could try and flash bios to see if that would help, just a tought.

kkn wrote:
well you could try and flash bios to see if that would help, just a tought.

I was thinking the very same thing. I have the latest bios version, but I've read that bios ver. 1505 worked well with Devils Canyon cpu's. I'm running out of things to try:mad:

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
maybe clear CMOS by removing all power from motherboard and removing battery over night. Then reflash BIOS with a clean file...?

Finally some good news to report, I was looking through the "boot" portion of the bios and discovered hardware fast boot disabled. So, after enabling my machine restarted coming out of the bios for the first time since the swap:cool:.