cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAM upgrade for Asus Maximus VII Ranger

Herby_Salt
Level 7
Hi folks,

I am novice to PC building/upgrading but I am looking to upgrade the RAM in my 4yr old rig (specs below).

I currently have 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1866mhz Kingston HyperX Fury. I am thinking of replacing these with 16GB (2 x 8 GB) HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 kit (p/n HX318C10FWK2/16). I have looked at the QVL on the MoBo spec sheet (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/MAXIMUS-VII-RANGER/E9798_maximus_vii_ranger_ug_v2_WEB....) but can't see these sticks listed. From everything else I read on the spec sheet the replacement sticks appear to meet the requirements but Ii wondered why they are not listed.

So my question(s) is/are can I install the 16GB kit? Or will I be creating problems for myself?

Unfortunately I am struggling to find any of the other 16GB (2x8GB) kits that are listed in the QVL available on the web - most appear to be out of stock or discontinued.

Many thanks in advance.

SPEC:
CASE: Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Mid Tower
CPU: INTEL(R) Core™ i5-4690 Quad Core 3.50 GHz 6MB Cache LGA1150 + HD Graphics
CPU FAN: Be Quiet Dark Rock 3
HDD1: 256 GB Crucial MX100 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
HDD2: 1TB WD Black WD1003FZEX SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
MEMORY: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1866mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Fury White w/Heat Spreader)
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Maximus VII Ranger INTEL Z97 Chipset, ATX Mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, ROG SupremeFX-8 Channel HD Audio, HDMI, GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-III, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 1x Gen2 PCIe x16 & 3x PCIe x 1
POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies (Cooler Master B700 B-Series Gaming Power Supply)
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
1 REPLY 1

xeromist
A QVL isn't exhaustive. It's usually the intersection of what was available at the time, what is likely to be popular, and what the manufacturer has on hand for testing. So if that kit wasn't sold yet or Kingston didn't supply a sample it wouldn't be on the list.

It's likely fine but be prepared to possibly lower speeds or loosen timings for memory not on the QVL.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…