Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC wake up and sudden reboot

faridc
Level 7
Windows 10 (home 64 bit)
i7-6700k (stock) - Heat Sink: Cooler Master EVO 212
RAM: 32 GB (G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 C15 2x16GB)
MoBo: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA (Latest BIOS 2202)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC Gaming ACX 2.0+ (04G-P4-3975-KR)
PSU: Corsair CX750M
SSD 1: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB
SSD 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
Case: Fractal Design ARC Midi R2

I have recently built my new system with the specs above. Everything went fine, PC POSTed the first time, no issues installing Win 10. Issues started 1-2 days later.
1- Most common issue is waking up from sleep. The PC wakes up, fans are running, but the Monitor stays black.
Q-Code shows: 41 and the CPU_LED is solid red.

2- Second issue that just happened a few minutes ago is: I was in the middle of reading posts online (no other unusual processes running), suddenly PC rebooted, again, fans running, and Q-Code showed: 4F. This time no system LED on (the CPU_LED was not on as previously described during wake up).

I would really like to "hear" your expertise on that.

Thank you,
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Off the top of my head I'd wonder about RAM stability...

You set XMP for RAM? What voltage does that set for DRAM voltage Vdimm?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Off the top of my head I'd wonder about RAM stability...

You set XMP for RAM? What voltage does that set for DRAM voltage Vdimm?

No XMP, everything is stock. CPU, GPU and RAM.

faridc wrote:
No XMP, everything is stock. CPU, GPU and RAM.

Have you tried setting XMP and seeing what happens?

Sometimes I've seen problems disappear because stock voltage was not enough in some department...not how it should go but happens...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have you tried setting XMP and seeing what happens?

Sometimes I've seen problems disappear because stock voltage was not enough in some department...not how it should go but happens...

The sudden reboot happened again this morning.
I looked at Event Viewer and found some not unusual errors, a critical one that said something like:

8:03:50 Critical (Kernel-Power) 41 (63): The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

and another:

8:04:05 Error (EventLog) 6008: The previous system shutdown at 8:01:03 AM on ‎1/‎8/‎2017 was unexpected.

But no real indication as to what is causing it.

I just checked my new RAM with Windows Memory Checker, no errors so far.
As far as PSU is concerned, I believe the Corsair CX750M is a good quality unit that has run my previous PC without any issues (granted the components were different) and 750 W is more than enough to run my current set up.
The only new components in my rig are the I7 6700k and the Maximus VIII Hero Alpha.

This is reminiscent of a similar issue I had with a previous store bought ASUS PC with an ASUS P8H61-M PRO Mobo and I7 3770 (not the k version). It was having sudden reboots, but only when I was playing World of Tanks. I thought it was the PSU, the GPU and/or the poorly ventilated basic case. I upgraded the PSU first, then the GPU to a GTX 660, then the case to a Fractal Mini R2 with all fans running and the problem kept happening. Then out of desperation, I decided to change Mobo and upgraded to an ASUS P8Z77-M Pro. Lo and behold, the problem vanished! I used that rig for a couple of years until I decided to upgrade to this system (see first post for system specs) and now I'm having the sudden reboot problem and not when playing games, just randomly or it seems, since it happened twice in about 4-5 days.

kkn
Level 14
did you do a clean instal of win os?
or did you migrate from old to new? ( if you had one )

kkn wrote:
did you do a clean instal of win os?
or did you migrate from old to new? ( if you had one )

New install.

Veovis
Level 10
I had a similar problem with my current build. I replaced the power supply with a seasonic prime titanium and it seems to have stopped. So if anything, you may want to trade your power strip for one that's more grounded. Having my computer randomly boot at 3am was creepy.