cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC keeps powering off - thermistor cable not plugged in.

covidIsBS
Level 7
Hi all trying to isolate an issue with my newly built rig intermittently cuts out (no power down, just power cuts off and the whole PC is dead) and i have to keep restarting it. I am facing unusually high temps considering my cooler, though the iCUE software from Corsair i believe only shows (overall) CPU package temp in the Cappelux coolers.

The X570-F comes with a thermistor cable that I have no idea which header to plug into. I am presuming into the T-Sensor header? I have also tried plugging it into the "TEMP" header on the command core fan controller both resulted in continual power cut outs, so i have removed it out the equation though my temps are still oddly high when under load. Sometimes it IDLES at around 50C and other times at 35C. Under load (Cinebench) it can go as high as 70C, though as i mentioned these readings are generally taken from iCUE or CoreTemp.

Thinking about removing Command Core fan hub and plugging all the fans directly into the board and allowing Q-FAN to control though i'm not mad about this as it will make the whole case untidy with wires and kill the ambient case LED lighting (i dont really care about the LEDs they are helpful to see inside the case however).

Should the thermistor cable be anywhere specific? like i've read at the air intake port is a good place but this obviously has an effect on the fan speeds right?
Any ideas, thoughful information is very welcome indeed, this has been going on for almost 2 months now and last night i lost hours of work because of the fact.

Many thanks in advanced.

My PC Spec:

Asus X570-F Mobo
AMD RYSEN 5900X (running at XMP or whatever the new profile is called on amd)
Corsair H100i Cappelux cooler on the CPU plugged into Command Core fan controller (AIO single blue wire into the CPU_FAN header on the board).
GSKILL 32GB 14 CAS RAM
Asus Founders Edition 1080Ti GTX (stock air cooler)
Various m.2, HDD and SSD's
Case Corsair Vengeance C70
Power Corsair HX1000i
6 x DC NZXT fans
2 x PWM fans on the cappelux radiator
Windows 10 Home

PS. if anyone knows what the T-Sensor header on my board is used for that would be really helpful. Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

BigJohnny
Level 13
If you are shutting down the thermistor cable has nothing to do with it. The CPU is protecting itself when you pass TDP. Should throttle first but sometimes it passes it and shuts down before it can throttle. Id be looking more towards your block mount. I'm not a fan of AIOs in the first place. If its not the block mount could be a faulty pump. How long does it take from a cold start? Is is pretty quick or does it take a few minutes? Difference being that if its quick its definitely a mount issue. If it takes a few minutes or heavier load could be the pump isnt doing its job or you have an air bubble from an incorrect mount not letting fluid circulate. How do you have the rad mounted. The block should always be lower than the rad. Top mount is usually best. If you front mount make sure the I/O on the rad is on the top. Bottom mount of the rad is just a big fat NO NO NO NO NO!!

From the looks of your case top is your only option. Try tilting the case to move the air bubble, they all have it.

Hi thanks for the reply... yer the rad is top mounted pulling air into the case. I will give the tilt idea a go and see but to be honest i'm not sure thats the issue as i have moved the case onto my worktop, laid it flat to check everything is plugged correctly and so on. If there were an air bubble causing it i would imagine it was moved long ago, but ill try it again nonetheless now im aware of the potential issue.

The AIO is brand new, i've only received it a couple weeks ago. Granted i used the stock paste that it came with (it just looked so pretty and neat) but have been considering to take the block off and repaste with a more premium sort. The block is lower than the radiator.

I used a custom power profile i found for Rysen CPU, the most notable settings being:

PCI-E Link state power management
: moderate power savings

Processor Power Management:

• Min processor state 99%
  • System Cooling Policy: Active
  • Max rocessor state: 100%

Not sure if they have anything to do with it, I'm trying everything i can to resolve. Anyway think ill take off the mount and repaste.
Will report back.
Cheers

NB: forgot to mention... the shutdown occur whenever they want, theres no real pattern. Not at startup, or just after. Completely random.

BigJohnny wrote:
If you are shutting down the thermistor cable has nothing to do with it. The CPU is protecting itself when you pass TDP. Should throttle first but sometimes it passes it and shuts down before it can throttle. Id be looking more towards your block mount. I'm not a fan of AIOs in the first place. If its not the block mount could be a faulty pump. How long does it take from a cold start? Is is pretty quick or does it take a few minutes? Difference being that if its quick its definitely a mount issue. If it takes a few minutes or heavier load could be the pump isnt doing its job or you have an air bubble from an incorrect mount not letting fluid circulate. How do you have the rad mounted. The block should always be lower than the rad. Top mount is usually best. If you front mount make sure the I/O on the rad is on the top. Bottom mount of the rad is just a big fat NO NO NO NO NO!!

From the looks of your case top is your only option. Try tilting the case to move the air bubble, they all have it.

So i had a fun weekend stripping down the rig and rebuilding it. I did not repaste the CPU as when i briefly looked at it the compound looked plentiful and well spread across the chip. Here are some of my findings that HAVE resolved the issues i was facing:

• ASUS Armoury Crate - The main cause for the USB connect/ disconnect chimes
  • ASUS Armoury Crate - the cause of the ACpowernotification failure pop up error
  • ASUS Armoury Crate - may have been conflicting with my H100i
  • Corsairs iCue was not up to date, now it is
  • My BIOS was well outdated , now updated to v.4021
  • CPU mount may have been wonky as you suggested, remounted the heatsink with less pressure on both screws

In case any one is wondering, yes i did uninstall ASUS armoury crate. I never tried to have both iCUE and Armoury Crate running at the same time, but its obviously a crappy uninstall as it left events in Task Scheduler and was causing all sorts of notification errors. PC now running ata cool 35-38C when IDLE and though it does jump up to 65-70C when under load, thats to be expected with the Rysen. I'm just happy its not doing it all the time 🙂

One thing that's really freaked me out is this phantom Nvidia HD Audio device showing up on my system. I run onboard sound from my X570-F which i believe is Realtek but who knows as companies continue to make things difficult for users to ID any of their components. The Specs sheet says
SupremeFX8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A though i couldn't find anything specifically called this on the Realtek driver page (i did look only for S1220A too!).

I have no other audio devices installed so i'm unsure where its found the device in the image? Perhaps on my Monitor? ASUS PG279Q

Anyway all functioning rather splendidly. now thanks!

xeromist
Nvidia audio is audio over HDMI and it's always there even if nothing is connected. If you are not using a device with audio capabilities you don't have to worry about it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hi @xeromist you certain? Ever since doing my clean resintall of Windows 10 i am getting frequent crashes when trying to use my Corsair 7.1 headphones. This occurs in-game mainly (while playing Battlefield) with constant device/ USB detection chiming and kills the audio. I need to exit the game and relaunch but even this doesn't make it go away.

I have some system events in the MMC: DistributedCOM and Service Control Manager errors all over the place. Trying to find out more on this. Any insight or help is much appreciated... 2042 is coming THIS FRIDAY (for us proleteriat) .

The shutdowns occurring thanks to Corsairs iCUE due to the bottom setting in the image DOH!
I know thats a bit amateur of me, however i never expected Corsair to have such a setting default to ON and set at 70C (i changed to 90C). Just incase anyone else experiences the same issue.
I get now why @BigJohnny's not keen on iCUE!

So a bit more research and i discover its not just me having this issue.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gpu-crashes-failed-with-0x57-retrieving-appmod...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ie2776/failed_with_0x57_retrieving_appmodel_runtime/

I've said it before and i'll say it again... Microsoft needs to be put down. Its a rubbish O/S marred with issues. Even when i try to be a good citizen and do things the Microsoft way, it's STILL broken. I guess we can end this thread now as there is no quick fix for the issues im facing. There is A fix however to remove all such problems in the future and its called Ubuntu. Think i'm going to employ it.

Thank you Microsoft, thank you, THANK YOU & F*** YOU!

covidIsBS wrote:
Hi @xeromist you certain?

Certain that Nvidia audio is enabled by default and you don't have to worry about it? Yes. Now, if you do not have an audio-capable connection such as DVI you likely won't see it as a selectable audio device in the Windows audio control panel but the device will still be present in the Device Manager and a driver will be installed. It's possible to try to kneecap Nvidia Audio but I believe Windows 10/11 will try to install a driver for you and I've found that often when I update my Nvidia drivers on one of my machines the default audio device changes to Nvidia even though I previously selected Realtek and things are connected to the onboard audio.

All that is to say, Nvidia audio is super common. I'd speculate the majority of Nvidia owners with HDMI output have it enabled all the time even if it's not the audio device they are actually using. If it were to cause issues they would be widespread based on the sheer number of people who have these devices.

Anyway, glad you found the main source of your shutdowns. I just wanted to reply since you asked.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…