cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build after long hiatus, need advice/suggestions..

twistedmjc
Level 7
Hey all, back in the building game after nearly 6 years away. Looking to get back into the swing of things and build myself a new machine for World Of Warcraft:Legion. Since my info is so outdated I'm very skeptical of my knowledge and skills and have been trying to read up and learn what I can to get updated for the build but still need some assistance. I'm typing this on my Nexus 6p atm so forgive any autocorrect mistakes, but I'll try to catch them heh.

System is pretty much JUST for Wow. Will do some surfing and occasional YouTube videos, but I have a cheap laptop with tons of space I use for streaming and whatnot. I'd like to be able to play on 1080p or higher (2k would be nice).. As smooth as possible within reason on relatively high settings, Max or Ultra and not have it crap on the frame rate everytime I walk into Orgrimmar or other heavy populated areas.

Budget isnt really an issue as this build will be continually going on till I get to a point where I think it's where I want it. If need be, I can dump more money into it once a month or so to pickup a new part. My goal is to get it up and running ASAP without a super expensive build to start. I have about $1000 Canadian to start me off on Jan 13th,and will go from there. I'm starting from scratch so have no parts to reuse, though I have picked up a few pieces already on sale.

What I have already:
Asus z170 Pro Gaming Aura motherboard
Corsair Cx 750m psu
Crucial cx500 525gb m.2 ssd
Gamedias keyboad/mouse gaming combo
Logitech x-540 speakers (used)

What I want:
Corsair Crystal 570x case
Intel i3-7350k Kaby Lake

What I need:
16gb ddr4 ram
Video card
Cpu cooler
Monitor
I dunno.. Did I miss something?

Reasons for decisions:

Overall I want it to run well on Legion obviously, but I'd also like it to just be OMG! when people see it. I like the idea of the parts themselves doing the lighting rather than just slapping in some neon/cc/led strips. I'd like to try a black with yellow lighting setup, but the RGB option means I can change it all whenever I want.

Don't plan to OC right away as the chip is new, but bought the z170 and K so I have the option later if I need more power or want to be adventurous lol

7350k cause of single core performance (wow uses almost exclusively), higher clock speed, and new Intel HD 630 onboard graphics.. if I need to wait a check to get video card this will power wow for the time being.

Corsair 570x case cause I like larger cases, I had designed something like this years ago modding cases by hand (plexiglass for sides and front with moto standoffs as spacers) and just love the design (space, cable management, RGB led fans and room for lots more cooling internally).

The psu and ssd I got pretty good deals on and the reviews online seemed to be pretty good as well. Kb/mouse was an on sale, then open box discount ontop ($25+tax) and the speakers were a thrift store find for $15!

I was originally looking at the radeon 470x but heard the 1060 would perform better in warcraft, so switched tentatively even though it's a price increase. Looking at the Asus versions with the Aura RGB as well,since it is an option.

Monitor, as I said, want minimum 1080p but ultimately 2k unless its a huge bump in price over to relative buttery-ness. Was looking at 144Hz and 1ms,but still not sold for playing Wow, some say it's noticeable, others not so much.. I'm looking to pick up a cheaper used one for under $100 to get up and running off Kijiji till I decide and get the money for it.

Ram, I'd like more RGB stuff, I know there are options but without the RGB header on this board for aura sync I don't know if it's possible to get it working the way I hoped. I am open to standard lighting for it as long as it has color options. But tuning it myself would be preferable, I'm a stickler and a bit ocd so if the tone of the he color is off, it would drive me nuts and I'd have to tune the rest of the system to match that one piece that didn't lol! Speed, Cas, etc I'm not sure of, never really understood it other then more if better, but would it really make a huge difference in warcraft? I'm willing to buy 1x8gb to start and pick up a matching down the road.

And cpu cooler, the kaby lake doesn't come with a stock one so that needs to be bought as well now. I was looking at the nzxt kraken x41 cause a local guy has an unopened one for $100 and it does RGB lighting as well, though no aura sync. It's 140mm radiator and should fit nicely into the top of the 570x
But I'm now set in this, it's just what was available locally at a discount price. Save money where you can right?

I'm really interested in suggestions, tweaks, personal experiences with these parts, or whatever else you can share.. This is a learning experience as well as a build and will take it all as well as links for more info to read up on to expend my knowledge.. I got plenty of spare time on my hands to do nothing but tweak this setup before I buy it next week.

Thanks for hearing me out and I look forward to hopefully reading many replies!
11 REPLIES 11

kkn
Level 14
for new cpu you probably need new mobo too.
so all in all it ends up as a brand new pc buy in the end.

The stuff I have on the "have list" are things I have just bought in the last week.. It's all new stuff unused at the moment unless otherwise stated.. The board is already lga 1151 and support for the new kaby lake processors is available through a simple bios update if the bios version installed already isn't new enough. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding..

Menthol
Level 14
You will probably need to update the bios on the motherboard before it will work with that CPU, KabyLake was just released and you would be very lucky if that board had a bios new enough. Read the manual for the board, using the bios Flashback method you can update the bios with only the power supply connected using a USB drive.
You may also want to check prices on the AMD 480 and compare it to the 1060.

Have fun

Board came with the 2003 bios version which is the one that supposedly added the kaby lake support, and unfortunately this model doesn't have flashback, but if needed I called a local shop already and they will do the update to 3016 if I need for a fee. Though I hope not lol as long as it detects the cpu and I can get into bios, I can update it with ez flash.

Korth
Level 14
Don't forget CPU cooler and a TIM. Might need some fans, too, if not enough supplied with the case. And more drives for storage, probably TeraByte HDDs, you don't want to clutter and fill up the system SSD, 500GB ain't what it used to be.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

For a cpu cooler, I got a line on an unopened nzxt kraken x41 liquid cooling setup off a local Kijiji ad as well as a Geil Evo x 16gb kit of ddr ram.. Not sure what TIM means? The 570x case comes with 3x 120mm RGB fans located in the front of the case, between that and the x41 I thought I would be good, am I wrong? The case has LOTS of extra room for additional fans if needed.

As to hdd space, my old laptop has another 600 gigs and this machine is pretty much strictly for World of Warcraft so I think the 525 will work. Honestly I don't download alot of stuff and what I do, I don't keep around for long usually..

@Menthol I missed your comment about the 480,is it a better choice? I heard alot of people saying GeForce was the way to go for Wow, so changed, I was originally looking at the 470..

Nate152
Hi twistedmjc

I like G.Skill Trident Z for the ROG boards and their price has gone up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232205

The kraken x41 should do fine but for 19.99 more you can get the kraken x61 at amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Kraken-Liquid-Cooling-System-RL-KRX61-01/dp/B00L0YLJJG

TIM = Thermal Interface Material or thermal paste, the thermal grizzly kryonaut is probably the best non conductive TIM.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/thermal-compounds/thermal-grizzly-kryonaut-hgh-performance-thermal-gr...

According to these benchmarks the 1060 is faster.

Buellersdayoff
Level 7
https://youtu.be/CiYQqNiqQKU
Rx480 getting better with drivers

Menthol
Level 14
I heard this week at CES that Nvidia will not release any cards without locked down bios's in this or next generation cards just due to no competition from AMD. But the 480 had gotten so close or even beat the 1060 sometimes that they did allow one bios for the 1060 Hall of Fame edition, the one that hit 3000 mhz on LN2.
That's why I suggested looking at the 480