cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Crosshair VIII Dark Hero not booting up

Enejick
Level 7
hi, sorry for bad formatting or wrong category, i never posted here. i need some help with my motherboard, since yesterday my pc refuses to boot when pressing the power on button, and this is nothing new! it did this since i bought the motherboard, i always had to turn the psu OFF and then ON again to be able to press the power on button and use my pc. This has stopped working as of yersterday, the only way to turn on the PC has become to press the reTry button on the motherboard itself, the start button won't work (not even the one on the motherboard itself) i already enabled ERP (s4+s5) but it did nothing. all leds turn off and when i press the power button they turn on but the pc itself doesn't. only the led lights up. i really don't know how to proceed to be able to use my pc and i'm hoping you guys can be of some help. if you need any specs please tell me and i will provide them (i didn't install anything new and i didn't do any modification in the bios, this all happened out of nowhere.)
2 REPLIES 2

Murph_9000
Level 14
Have you tried a clear CMOS? It's always worth a try when you've got unusual behaviour like that, to eliminate something bad in the BIOS config. If clearing CMOS works or improves things, try running with just "load optimised defaults" and the absolute minimum of BIOS config needed to boot (don't enable XMP, it's a form of overclocking, so run without it for a day or two to see if the behaviour changes). If that works, introduce your BIOS config slowly, running for a while between stages, so you can identify what configuration causes a problem.

awd1963
Level 7

I know this is an old post but I bought the Crosshair VIII Dark Hero before I read all the horror stories of how it will not boot with the power button on the case.  Mine turns on and posts with the MB start button but also would not turn on with the switch on the case.  I decided this MB is junk and Asus should be ashamed of themselves for putting out this crap. 

Anyway here is what I think happened based on my playing around with the power switch connector. I believe they wired the front panel connectors incorrectly.  My MB is the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero AMD AM4 X570S Zen 3 Ryzen 5000 & 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard (PCIe 4.0, 14+2 Ti Power Stages, PCH Heatsink, Wi-Fi 6, 2.5 Gbps LAN, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C.  It has a 9 pin front panel connect and the 4 pin speak connector above it. 

Here is what I did to get it to power on and off with the case button.  I connected the power led connectors to the to the two pins on the far left on the top row when looking at the MB.  There are 4 pins on the top row and this is not needed to power the case on but to see the power LED on the case.  I connected the power switch the 3rd pin on the top row from the left and the 3rd pin on the bottom row from the left.  I can cycle the power on and off.  I do not know is this will cause any issues but am just letting it run for a bit to see.