cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with a new z690 build please

LeeUnd
Level 8
Hi,
I have been buying parts for a new z690 build as I can get them. I wanted an open build this time so I chose an Barrowch Rhopilema V2 series waterway computer case as the base, it has support for 2 each 240mm radiators so I bought the EK EX 240 60mm thick radiators which I plan on using with push/pull Artic BioniX-P120 Pressure optimized fans. I also at the same time bought EK Vector front and back water blocks for my Asus RTX OC 3090. I also plan on using the Asus rog z690 maximus glacial extreme motherboard if I can get one preordered this week with the Alder Lake i9 1290K cpu.
If one goes by the old rule of 120mm radiator per component then I would need.
1 each 120mm for the RTX 3090 front plate
1 each 120mm for the RTX 3090 back plate
1 each 120mm for the Alder Lake i9 1290K
1 each 120mm for the m.2 drives and VRM area (the only drives I will have are 2 each 2 tb Samsung 980 Pro’s, so hot)

My question or what I need help with understanding is if I run 2 ea 240mm 60mm thick radiators in a “loop configuration” (from the hot side of the distro plate into a radiator into the second radiator and then back to the cool side of the distro plate) my understanding of a loop. Would this be enough??
I have only read an in-depth review of the 360/240 EK radiators run as single units with no mention of what the actual efficiency increase or decrease is by running them in a loop, is that the same as running 1 480mm radiator?
Thank you,
Lee
6 REPLIES 6

eddhuy
Level 7
I don't know the answer but this video says and shows that additional top fans work better for overall cooling than 2 radiators and some other good info as well.

Hope this helps and does not just cloud the water.

Nate152
Hi LeeUnd,

What I do is take the parts fully overclocked, in your case the ROG Strix 3090 and i9-12900k and look at the total wattage combined.

Early reviews are showing the i9-12900k is averaging about 250 watts, fully overclocked it can draw up to 300w-400w but you'll likely run into thermal issues before reaching that.

The ROG Strix 3090 can draw upwards of 350w - 400w.

Just these two parts can generate alot of heat. At the extreme end you'll need to dissipate 800w of heat but will likely be around 600w depending on overclocks. EK is claiming the XE 240 can dissipate up to 450w, so 2 x 450w = 900w of heat dissipation. The M.2 drives and vrm area will add very little to the overall wattage.

Looks to me like you have plenty of cooling power.

2nd paragraph,
https://www.ekwb.com/blog/radiators-part-2-performance/

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
LeeUnd wrote:
Hi,
I have been buying parts for a new z690 build as I can get them. I wanted an open build this time so I chose an Barrowch Rhopilema V2 series waterway computer case as the base, it has support for 2 each 240mm radiators so I bought the EK EX 240 60mm thick radiators which I plan on using with push/pull Artic BioniX-P120 Pressure optimized fans. I also at the same time bought EK Vector front and back water blocks for my Asus RTX OC 3090. I also plan on using the Asus rog z690 maximus glacial extreme motherboard if I can get one preordered this week with the Alder Lake i9 1290K cpu.
If one goes by the old rule of 120mm radiator per component then I would need.
1 each 120mm for the RTX 3090 front plate
1 each 120mm for the RTX 3090 back plate
1 each 120mm for the Alder Lake i9 1290K
1 each 120mm for the m.2 drives and VRM area (the only drives I will have are 2 each 2 tb Samsung 980 Pro’s, so hot)

My question or what I need help with understanding is if I run 2 ea 240mm 60mm thick radiators in a “loop configuration� (from the hot side of the distro plate into a radiator into the second radiator and then back to the cool side of the distro plate) my understanding of a loop. Would this be enough??
I have only read an in-depth review of the 360/240 EK radiators run as single units with no mention of what the actual efficiency increase or decrease is by running them in a loop, is that the same as running 1 480mm radiator?
Thank you,
Lee

Hello,

2x 240mm should be sufficient to cool the two main components, as Nate mentioned, the CPU will run out of thermal headroom before the cooling capacity of the loop becomes an issue. Typically, the CPU will draw around 300W when overclocked, more in heavy AVX loads.

It's more important that you have a PSU that can provide 30 amps on the 12v rail.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hi:
looking for advice on the following build:

backstory first:
currently ROG Strix x570F Gaming (PCIE 4.0) mobo;
1660 TI graphics (i dont game) in first of 3 x16 slots, x16_1;
x16_2 has pcie adaptor card 4.0 housing a samsung 980 pro pcie 4.0 m.2 ssd
X16_3 has another pcie 4.0 adaptor card housing a WD SN850 pcie 4.0 m.2 ssd
the two onboard m.2 slots , nearest the chipset are both m.2 pcie 4.0 ssds;
cpu ryzen 7 3700X , 16 lanes;
when i first built the rig the X16_2 didnt show up (anywhere) ;
ok, i first changed the bios setting for that slot to Raid (even tho i am not using any raid)
still didnt show up;
then i changed the X16_1 setting to Raid (still not actually using any Raid);
presto the x16_2 shows up; everything checks out speed-wise;
so my wild guess was that the lane allocations were dynamic enough that my x16_1 was then running x8 instead of x16;

Q1: is that right ?

proposed new build:
Z690 maximus Hero (where the kit contains an asus hyper adaptor card that supports 2 m.2 ssds); 3 X16 slots
intel I9 12900KF

here's where i lose the plot :
that cpu supposedly supports 16 pcie 5.0 and 4 Pcie 4.0 lanes
that mobo supposedly supports pcie 5.0 in both x16_1 and x16_2
i will populate the three m.2 onboard slots with top m.2 ssds;
Q2: does that mean i can use a bios setting to make each pcie 5.0 (x16_1 and x16_2) at x8 ?
Q3: if i leave x16_1 running at X16, does that mean x16_2 then runs at pcie 4.0 ?
Q3:1: if x16_2 is running at pcie 4.0 will that support that adapter card with two m.2s on it ?
Q4: so i further desire to use an adapter card in x16_3 , with what i have detailed thus far , will that be an option (will the chipset supply those lanes**?) ?

i appreciate any insights , thanks

** i think that chipset supports at most 12 pcie 4.0 lanes and i will have 3 onboard (onMoboBoard) m.2s running at pcie 4.0 already

Thank you all for your input, it helps a lot.
VR,
LeeU

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

2x 240mm should be sufficient to cool the two main components, as Nate mentioned, the CPU will run out of thermal headroom before the cooling capacity of the loop becomes an issue. Typically, the CPU will draw around 300W when overclocked, more in heavy AVX loads.

It's more important that you have a PSU that can provide 30 amps on the 12v rail.

I was planning on recycling my CORSAIR AX1200i 1200W as it is almost new after I RMA'ed the first one, not sure to trust it.
VR,
LeeU